Why Does CX-9 Get No Love...

G

Guest2018

... from Aftermarket Performance Parts Makers?

Hello 9'ers,

Been highly unsuccessful in finding aftermarket performance parts for the new 9. I see performance upgrades for the 5 and the upgrades for the 3 and 6 are galore. But, no 9. Why the bias against upgrading performance of the 9? I'd like to see more love given to the 9 in terms of aftermarket performance parts and kits. I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way.

Christmas Wish List for my 9:

- Anti-Sway Bar Kit (Front and Rear w/ adjustable EL)
- Front Strut Bar (looks really nice under the hood in Red, Blue or Carbon Fiber colors)
- Cold Air Intake Kit (gotta be someone already working on this)
- Performance Brake Package (bigger disk, more calips, bigger bite)
- Performance Dual Exhaust (a little note adjustment to the downside, larger diameter tips)

That's pretty much it for me - what would you 9'ers add to yours? I would not want to mess with the engine internals as Mazda did a rather nice job already. Absolutely no need to touch the gearing either. Don't want to mess up the already nice iSkyActive experience. But, I think the items above could step up the "fun" meter a notch or two.

Thank you. Saw that one before which started me hunting for more. I can't get that website to work properly to give me pricing in USD. I'd also like to know how/where they get their specs for the new CX-9 (2016 and beyond) in order to build prototypes of what they are selling (or how did the OEM get their specs to do their own design/testing/etc.).

9'ers need more love from these guys. Not getting nearly enough.

Toyota sells more RAV4's in the US in a year than Mazda has sold CX-9s total (same thing for the Escape, CR-V, and Rogue). Go look at the sales stats for SUVs, it's pretty shocking how poorly the CX-9 sells in comparison to the others.

The redesigned one has probably sold <40,000 total units.

That's why there is no aftermarket support.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2017/10/midsize-suv-sales-america-september-2017/

Last edited:
There is no aftermarket support partially because of the type of car the CX-9 is but also because it isn’t a huge seller.

Here in Toronto, I’m starting to see more and more CX-9’s and it is a lovely looking SUV.

Anyways, if you are to get an intake, I strongly recommend you figure out how to get a supply of fresh cold air directly to the intake filter, or your IAT is going to be even higher then stock which basically negates any performance advantages, especially driving where you live with the hot climate and traffic everywhere... spells trouble and hot air intake rather then cold air.

I would recommend to try and remove exhaust restriction from behind the turbo, such as installing a high flow race cat in places of the OEM cats which is legal in California. The stock muffler will keep things nice and quiet at a cruise. But when you step on it you will hear turbo spool and it will sound great.

If you like to drive sprited, I’d get an ECU tune so you don’t limit boost in the higher RPM’s

I think the 9 is aimed at older buyers who want smooth ride before handling and hella flush. There are plenty of CX-5 and 3 goodies if you want to hit some corners. The CX-9 is a different animal though.
Think 7 series BMW compared to 3. Softer, more powerful, quieter, roomier, etc.

Plus, like it's been mentioned, there just aren't enough of em out there to be worth developing parts for. It's no picnic making an aftermarket intake pass California smog inspection.

Hello 9'ers,

Been highly unsuccessful in finding aftermarket performance parts for the new 9. I see performance upgrades for the 5 and the upgrades for the 3 and 6 are galore. But, no 9. Why the bias against upgrading performance of the 9? I'd like to see more love given to the 9 in terms of aftermarket performance parts and kits. I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way.

Christmas Wish List for my 9:

- Anti-Sway Bar Kit (Front and Rear w/ adjustable EL)
- Front Strut Bar (looks really nice under the hood in Red, Blue or Carbon Fiber colors)
- Cold Air Intake Kit (gotta be someone already working on this)
- Performance Brake Package (bigger disk, more calips, bigger bite)
- Performance Dual Exhaust (a little note adjustment to the downside, larger diameter tips)

That's pretty much it for me - what would you 9'ers add to yours? I would not want to mess with the engine internals as Mazda did a rather nice job already. Absolutely no need to touch the gearing either. Don't want to mess up the already nice iSkyActive experience. But, I think the items above could step up the "fun" meter a notch or two.

Hi, there! I was able to get a 15% group discount for US buyer from Sunvigor. If you are interested, checkout my post on this and hopefully we can get more people into this so we can get some discount. I am interested to get the Autoexe front strut bar.

Why there is zillions of virus, trojans, spyware, keyloggers, malware and ransomware for Windows and just a few for Apple computers?. Because Windows have 90+ % of the market. Hackers and IT criminals prefer to invest time and efforts where they get the best proffit.

The same for cars: You can count 50 cx3/5 x each cx9 you see on the street.

and cx9 is focused on a different market. we want good and smooth ride with great space and enough power when required. Uff what a difference when I drive my wife xtrail and go back to my cx9! nice ride for sure!

Latest posts

Back