2006 Mazda 5 - rattling, sucking, carburator-like noise on acceleration

bensonius

:
Mazda 5 GS 5-speed
Been having this thing where the engine gets extra "loud" during medium to heavier acceleration. It sounds almost like an old carburated engine when you let it rip, whereas before it was more like a sewing machine revving up :) no discernible growl or rattling/sucking . It's coming what sounds like from the passenger side of the engine bay. There is often a slight sputtering that happens while the noise occurs, especially at mid-range RPM and part throttle, right at the cusp of actually accelerating. IOW: right while you are accelerating into traffic and about to upshift and settle down into a lane. It used to happen on every few drives, then every other drive, now it's every drive.

No heavy bucking, but maybe a slight very very instantaneous loss of power during the noise, but still accelerates as per normal. It just feels way louder and rougher, whereas previously it was very smooth and quiet during all types of acceleration.

https://youtu.be/yq5Yq_ANE1Y

This first video is quite short, the audio is very quiet, but basically the noise you hear at 0:02 is "The noise". Normally that would be nearly silent and smooth, other than road noise of course

The noise is somewhat like a rattle combined with the previously mentioned carburetor noise. It's most notable when the RPM is above 2000 and the pedal is pressed about 1/3 to 1/2 way.

There is a more noticable "winding down" noise when I let off the gas as well than there use to be. This noise doesn't happen when in neutral and revving.

Here's another video where I'm trying to baby it to start they letting it rip and trying all sorts of difference RPM ranges and pedal positions. You can see the tachometre in this video as well

https://youtu.be/VZfisW8UJYg

I've read about noises concerning possibly the engine mounts, or even the pulley tensioner, but nowhere has had a similar sound clip.

Does anyone have any experience with a such a noise? I'm on the cusp of taking it to a dealership or mechanic in the vague hope that they will have heard this before and know exactly what it is.

Last edited:
Back