Power steering fluid

:
2007 Mazda CX-9 Touring
ATF M-III, M-V, or equivalent (e.g. Dexron II) . This is what my owners manual states to use. I would like to know if the M-III and the M-V mean mercon3 and mercon 5 or does it mean a different type of fluid and would anyone here recommend the Dexron II fluid. I really don't like to put GM stuff in my car. Thanks in advance for the input.

Mazda M-V is not Mercon V, not Mercon, not Mercon LV, not any Dexron.

There never was a Mercon 3. Dexron II is antique. Even Dexron III is obsolete and has been superceded.

Why do you need power steering fluid? Don't substitute a fluid unless you're sure it is correct.

ATF M-III, M-V, or equivalent (e.g. Dexron II) . This is what my owners manual states to use. I would like to know if the M-III and the M-V mean mercon3 and mercon 5 or does it mean a different type of fluid and would anyone here recommend the Dexron II fluid. I really don't like to put GM stuff in my car. Thanks in advance for the input.

What year Mazda CX-9 do you have?

Are you talking about the older model? Because the new one has electric power steering, it doesn’t use any fluid.

I have a 2007 and the stealer says I need a power steering service which really means flush. I can do that myself, but I need to know which fluid should I use. They want 110 dollars to do this, way too much. They also said a brake fluid flush and they want for that almost 200 dollars. What a joke. If you look at the service prices on the chart behind the counter they call everything now Skyactiv service. Which I think is nonsense. Are the new mazdas really that special that they require a special service. They want to charge me skyactiv prices for a non skyactive mazda.

Are you talking about the older model? Because the new one has electric power steering, it doesn’t use any fluid.

I notice a lot of people post questions without even mentioning the generation of vehicle, never mind the year. Not easy to get answers to your question that way.

I have a 2007 and the stealer says I need a power steering service which really means flush. I can do that myself, but I need to know which fluid should I use. They want 110 dollars to do this, way too much. They also said a brake fluid flush and they want for that almost 200 dollars. What a joke. If you look at the service prices on the chart behind the counter they call everything now Skyactiv service. Which I think is nonsense. Are the new mazdas really that special that they require a special service. They want to charge me skyactiv prices for a non skyactive mazda.

Just find any good mechanic and dont look back. Dont bother with the dealer.

The skyactiv transmission is a little more difficult to work on with the clutch packs and torque converter in particular, but the rest of the car including the engine is basically the same in terms of maintenance compared to the old 4 cylinder. I will admit that the v6 you have is harder to work on then an inline 4 due to complexity, engine design/packaging, etc but a simple power steering and brake flush shouldnt cost you a penny more then $150. Just find a good honest mechanic and dont go to the dealer .

GJ thanks for the input. JPL I noticed that the year didn't show up on my username and I corrected it. I will have to look around for a shop that can do this properly. Thanks again.

GJ thanks for the input. JPL I noticed that the year didn't show up on my username and I corrected it. I will have to look around for a shop that can do this properly. Thanks again.

Your CX-9 uses either ATF M-III, M-V or equivalent. So, that does mean that you can use (dare I say it) Dexron II (though I would not for the reason you mention). I'd stick with M3 or MV.

You can DIY the Power Steering 'flush' yourself - there is plenty of info online to help you with that. As far as the brake 'flush' is concerned, just make sure you learn what to do first and that you do indeed have the right tools for your specific vehicle - as you will need to do a complete Flush and Bleed. You don't want to allow water in any amount into your brake reservoir as water has a lower boiling point and can become a safety issue under extreme braking conditions. Again, not rocket science and you can do it safely and effectively yourself.

This can cost you less than $50 - $70 if done correctly (assuming you will need to buy a couple tools/items/fluid/etc.).

They want to charge me skyactiv prices for a non skyactive mazda.

LOL! I'm sorry. I'm not laughing at you. This is just another example of the Broken Dealer Model that I keep ranting about and everybody keeps ignoring - even when good people such as yourself get taken for SkyActive Fluid Flushes. Unreal. Absolutely, unreal. I thought you made a typo! You said, "Stealer." I just thought you bumbled the typing. But, now I get it. LOL, you are hilarious!!! So, true. They are "Stealers." But, they are not from Pittsburgh and they don't wear Black and Yellow.

LOL, I was about to say the same thing. (outie)

Just find any good mechanic and don’t look back. Don’t bother with the dealer.

The skyactiv transmission is a little more difficult to work on with the clutch packs and torque converter in particular, but the rest of the car including the engine is basically the same in terms of maintenance compared to the old 4 cylinder. I will admit that the v6 you have is harder to work on then an inline 4 due to complexity, engine design/packaging, etc but a simple power steering and brake flush shouldn’t cost you a penny more then $150. Just find a good honest mechanic and don’t go to the dealer .

Amen. Or, take the time and learn to DIY.

Last edited:
Back