Ticking noise, please help!

:
2002 Protege5
I have a 2002 protege5. Yesterday I started to notice a ticking noise and it has since gotten louder. It's hard to locate but it ticks louder at lower gears and slight throttle. Was wondering if anybody expirenced this and how to fix it. I'm gonna attach a video for u guys to listen. The car drives perfectly fine and I don't notice anything different. Thank you very much

https://youtu.be/VfSq9gIzG0Q

Turns out I was about 2.5 qts low on oil. Stopped and got some oil and a new pcv valve. Still making the ticking noise. Might have blew up my engine

Throw some Lucas Oil in it to see what happens...
Probably worth the ten bucks to see what happens.

Ouch. That is about 67% of the car's oil capacity missing. Hopefully you didn't run it under extreme load during the low oil time. It might still be OK.

I still think it sounds like there's an exhaust leak though. :)

Mr. T...

Your car may have pooped for the last time ..!!!?

RIP...

I believe you may be right.. I just went thru this with my Mazdaspeed3 RIP...

(bang)
It does (from here, listening to your youtube video), sound suspiciously like rod knock.

From here it will just get louder and louder and go from a tic noise, to a knock noise, to a clank noise.

Throw some Lucas Oil in it to see what happens...
Probably worth the ten bucks to see what happens.

No.

your engine sounds like a god damn lawnmower in the video. why don't you bother to check your level next time? it will still run as long as you don't take it up to redline everyday... always keep the oil full.

I recommend using a thicker 5w40 to help build a cushion between the damaged parts in your motor.

From here it will just get louder and louder and go from a tic noise, to a knock noise, to a clank noise.

Run it till all that ^^ gets louder than your stereo...

Then upgrade your stereo...

Then run it till the rod comes through the block.

Screenshot_2017-11-01-17-23-35.png

Then get another car.

I check it weekly man. That's the crazy part. I'm gonna try Lucas oil treatment before I try a thicker oil. I changed the pcv valve. I did find quite a bit of oil in my intake pipes. But good lord 2.5 qts in a week? Doesn't make any sense. Oh well. Im already looking at engines from Japan.

I check it weekly man. That's the crazy part. I'm gonna try Lucas oil treatment before I try a thicker oil...

Are you burning it or leaking it ???

Thicker oil is probably cheaper if you're burning it that fast...

...Oh well. I'm already looking at engines from Japan.

Good call... Have it ready for after the blow out and tow...

I check it weekly man. That's the crazy part. I'm gonna try Lucas oil treatment before I try a thicker oil. I changed the pcv valve. I did find quite a bit of oil in my intake pipes. But good lord 2.5 qts in a week? Doesn't make any sense. Oh well. Im already looking at engines from Japan.

no, do not use the Lucas s***! I bought some and did research thankfully before throwing it out, but it's basically a 50W oil with no additives. you're simply best off using a thick good quality oil with the proper concentration of additives instead. adding too much of this lucas s*** will be too thick for the engine and just destroy it completely. you need to find that proper oil weight that isnt too thick or thin, I'm thinking 10w30 or 40. the thicker the better since you already have engine damage.

if it's cold right now where you live, buy 5w40. if it's hot where you live, but 10w30 or even 10w40. I recommend using shell rotella t6 5w40 which is very high quality but cheap.

Last edited:
Turns out I was about 2.5 qts low on oil. Stopped and got some oil and a new pcv valve. Still making the ticking noise. Might have blew up my engine
Well, the right amount of oil will help things, as for the tick when have you done the timing belt ? I know I had tick and was all crappy about it until it turned out to be the timing belt idle tentioner spring ( $8 part ). Listen for it on the timing belt cover side of the engine.

... But good lord 2.5 qts in a week? Doesn't make any sense...

You've probably go this going on...

Seized oil rings...

Screenshot_2017-11-01-22-54-21.png

(I stole that picture from Mr. Giggles.. (I think that's his boot on the bottom right ..??))

My $21 book ended up costing $50 by the time I got it...

Screenshot_2017-11-01-23-29-53.png

The bad part is, they never did give me a grand total...
I thought it was forty bucks...

I had to check my bank account to see how much they took.. It was fifty!!...

That was well after I "Committed To Buy"

Back