Ticking noise, please help!

Agreed, time for a new engine or a new car.

OR

By the way your motor sounds you could hook a mower deck up to it and cut some grass, it might make it through the yard for a cut. Then again my mower has over 500 hours on it and doesn't sound nearly as bad as your car lol

My $21 book ended up costing $50 by the time I got it...

Screenshot_2017-11-01-23-29-53.png

The bad part is, they never did give me a grand total...
I thought it was forty bucks...

I had to check my bank account to see how much they took.. It was fifty!!...

That was well after I "Committed To Buy"

That's hilarious xD

Well, the right amount of oil will help things, as for the tick when have you done the timing belt ? I know I had tick and was all crappy about it until it turned out to be the timing belt idle tentioner spring ( $8 part ). Listen for it on the timing belt cover side of the engine.

This is actually believable. believe it or not i heard the loudest of the ticking with a giant screw driver against the transmission bell housing, very weird.

Also, just drove for 4 hours today no issues. Ticking hasn't gotten any louder and i drove it pretty hard too. I'm really at a loss. if it was internal engine damage wouldn't it be getting louder?

ALSO it didn't lose a drop of oil. Maybe the pcv valve was the issue but who knows

This is actually believable. believe it or not i heard the loudest of the ticking with a giant screw driver against the transmission bell housing, very weird.

Also, just drove for 4 hours today no issues. Ticking hasn't gotten any louder and i drove it pretty hard too. I'm really at a loss. if it was internal engine damage wouldn't it be getting louder?

ALSO it didn't lose a drop of oil. Maybe the pcv valve was the issue but who knows

Probably, but you never know.

Best advice I can give is to cut open the oil filter and look for metal.

Probably, but you never know.

Best advice I can give is to cut open the oil filter and look for metal.

Easier... Get some cheese cloth from the grocery store. Change your oil and when the old oil drains out, drain it through the cheese cloth and look for glitter. you shouldn't see any noticeable amount of glitter if all is well. If you see glitter, plan on rebuilding or replacing the motor.

... I know I had tick and was all crappy about it until it turned out to be the timing belt idle tensioner spring ( $8 part ). Listen for it on the timing belt cover side of the engine.

I'm just speculating here (I've never blown an engine or had one apart)
But,... What about hacking a hole through your Timing Belt cover to take a look at your tensioner and spring.
If the spring has snapped, you can replace your covers when you fix it ($ 37 CAD).
If it's fine then your engine is probably dying and the hole doesn't matter.
Some guys run with no timing covers.

This is actually believable. believe it or not i heard the loudest of the ticking with a giant screw driver against the transmission bell housing, very weird...

Perhaps the bell housing is acting like an echo chamber throwing off your listening results, while the plastic cover is muffling the sound because it's plastic ??

Plus,... There is an idiot light for when the oil pressure drops (it kicks in around 2 or 3 Psi).
Some guys have run their oil so low that the light would flicker but they didn't damage their engine.

I'm just speculating here (I've never blown an engine or had one apart)
But,... What about hacking a hole through your Timing Belt cover to take a look at your tensioner and spring.
If the spring has snapped, you can replace your covers when you fix it ($ 37 CAD).
If it's fine then your engine is probably dying and the hole doesn't matter.
Some guys run with no timing covers.

Perhaps the bell housing is acting like an echo chamber throwing off your listening results, while the plastic cover is muffling the sound because it's plastic ??

Plus,... There is an idiot light for when the oil pressure drops (it kicks in around 2 or 3 Psi).
Some guys have run their oil so low that the light would flicker but they didn't damage their engine.

The light only came on when I had to slam the brakes in traffic.

Back