I Apologize For My Bad 'Design Language' | Would You Buy This Piece of...?

G

Guest2018

... futuristic brilliance!

I'll apologize straight out for my own 'bad design language' when I say that Mazda kicked some serious ass with this one. (first)

Would you CX-9 owners pony up for something like this?

I sure as heck would - if they build it. It's got my vote.

It looks like with the new Kodo design language, Mazda is truly trying to turn a corner and build a different kind of car company than it has been in the past. If this is truly the "future of Mazda," then I like what the future holds for my potential as a new Mazda owner. The 2017 Sig is my first new Mazda ever. I was so extremely disappointed in my first new GM ever (C5) that I wrote off that company and have never looked back since 2000 (though I am eyeballing their Sierra Denali Ultimate for 2018). So, the decisions that a car company makes and the way they go about delivering on promises Does Matter and it will impact their bottom line in the future.

Right now, Mazda has single handily brought back the joy of driving to me once again. If this 'Vision Coup' (which I think should be renamed Vixen Coup) represents tomorrow for Mazda, then I could very well be a new lifetime buyer of their vehicles. What do you think about the direction this "Vision" takes Mazda?

I'll apologize straight out for my own 'bad design language' when I say that Mazda kicked some serious ass with this one. (first)

Would you CX-9 owners pony up for something like this?

I sure as heck would - if they build it. It's got my vote.

It looks like with the new Kodo design language, Mazda is truly trying to turn a corner and build a different kind of car company than it has been in the past. If this is truly the "future of Mazda," then I like what the future holds for my potential as a new Mazda owner. The 2017 Sig is my first new Mazda ever. I was so extremely disappointed in my first new GM ever (C5) that I wrote off that company and have never looked back since 2000 (though I am eyeballing their Sierra Denali Ultimate for 2018). So, the decisions that a car company makes and the way they go about delivering on promises Does Matter and it will impact their bottom line in the future.

Right now, Mazda has single handily brought back the joy of driving to me once again. If this 'Vision Coup' (which I think should be renamed Vixen Coup) represents tomorrow for Mazda, then I could very well be a new lifetime buyer of their vehicles. What do you think about the direction this "Vision" takes Mazda?

it looks absolutely incredible and I want one. this is a Mazda vision concept or the next Mazda6.

I believe it will have the 2.5 X engine as the base motor and then some sort of twin turbo 3L v6 making roughly 350HP.

except roughly 210HP and 250ft/lb of torque from the base engine.

it looks absolutely incredible and I want one. this is a Mazda vision concept or the next Mazda6.

I believe it will have the 2.5 X engine as the base motor and then some sort of twin turbo 3L v6 making roughly 350HP.

V6? The days of a V6 Mazda are long gone. Mazda would've developed one for the CX-9 if they were ever going to do it. They are no where near the volume in sales of larger cars needed to justify a large engine. The only model really that would use it is the CX-9 and sales are tiny compared to much of the competition. The Mazda6 would be crazy fast with a version of the 2.5T. There's almost no mid-size sedans left with a V6 option. Camry is about the only one. New Accord no longer offers one. First time ever.

mazda6?

I was going to say, vertically compressed CX-9 with elongated frontal area and much nicer wheels. ;) Of course, we would say Mazda 6 or compressed CX-9... because its all part of the new Kodo DNA.

I like the new genetics. (yes)

I can't help but wonder when/if there will ever be an Electric version or at least a relatively high Kw rearward eMotor for that extra punch of on-demand immediate torque.

Last edited:
I was going to say, vertically compressed CX-9 with elongated frontal area and much nicer wheels. ;) Of course, we would say Mazda 6 or compressed CX-9... because its all part of the new Kodo DNA.

I like the new genetics. (yes)

I can't help but wonder when/if there will ever be an Electric version or at least a relatively high Kw rearward eMotor for that extra punch of on-demand immediate torque.

Compressed CX-9 lol!

Well considering the fact that Mazda has partnered up with Toyota I dont see why this car wont have some sort of electric option. this next generation Mazda 6 will be riding on a Toyota derived BMW RWD chassis tuned by Mazda of course, so I really cant wait to see this cars introducfion.

I do hope they build a 3L inline 6 based off the 2L X engine which wouldnt cost much to do, but I do know that the car will offer some sort of 350HP option. Only time will tell I guess...

Kodo strikes again.

The only problem I have with this is that they say flat out, it is ONLY a concept. I get the need for car companies to inspire. But, when you put something out there so sexy as this, you've got to follow through and bring it to market. You just have to, IMO:

Kodo strikes again.

The only problem I have with this is that they say flat out, it is ONLY a concept. I get the need for car companies to inspire. But, when you put something out there so sexy as this, you've got to follow through and bring it to market. You just have to, IMO

https://www.google.ca/search?safe=o...0i13i30k1.0.qmpmWBQD6VQ#imgrc=oQIwFd3GPtVzBM:

if you take a look at this link, there are pictures of Mazda's previous concept for the Mazda 6, the "Takeri" and as you can see, Mazda brought that general design and a lot of the features from that concept into production.

99.9% chance we can all expect essentially the same outcome for the 2019 Mazda 6 based of the Vision Concept.

Last edited:
Compressed CX-9 lol!

Well considering the fact that Mazda has partnered up with Toyota I don’t see why this car won’t have some sort of electric option. this next generation Mazda 6 will be riding on a Toyota derived BMW RWD chassis tuned by Mazda of course, so I really can’t wait to see this cars introducfion.

I do hope they build a 3L inline 6 based off the 2L X engine which wouldn’t cost much to do, but I do know that the car will offer some sort of 350HP option. Only time will tell I guess...

Is this the start of what I think it sounds like: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-toyota-electric-vehicles/toyota-to-form-electric-car-technology-venture-with-mazda-idUSKCN1C3071.

Do I hear something in the distance. What's that I hear... Toyota and Mazda entering Merger Talks(?). Really. How will that work. Juuuuuuuust putting it out there.

Ok, so they are partnering on an electric platform. The article says the reason for this partnership is so that both companies can "catch up" on their "rivals." Is that how you play catch up? You partner with a rival in order to catch up with your rivals? Am I reading too much into this, or are Mazda and Toyota basically going through the first series of Dates together to see if maybe they can hit it off down the road a bit in a full blown Marriage Proposal?

Mazda is said to be getting a meager 5% out of this deal while Toyota takes 90% of the new joint. Obviously, this is no revenue bonanza for Mazda and could actually cost them more capital in the long run given the weak share position. So, there's got to be some other motivation for Mazda in this - what is that motivation?

Would it have been far better for Mazda to have approached Koenigsegg about a partnership. That would put Mazda in the 90% share position and basically been the funding source for pushing forward on Koenigsegg's Flow Accumulator Energy Storage technology and then brought a version of that to the new Kodo Design Mazda line of vehicles.

That puts Mazda in the front seat in terms of future revenues, leading edge automotive electric power technology and positions itself side-by-side with a true Hypercar Manufacturer. Koenigsegg gets a source of capital to advance and share the technology with Mazda. Seems like a win-win where Mazda would come out having no electric technology rival in the mass produced EV market - as the technology that Koenigsegg is working on will be light years ahead of anything Toyota produces for electric energy storage.

Last edited:
Inline six would make more sense than a V with that long hood. Maybe slant six to keep the hood lower- since they have to recast a block anyway.. Off the shelf 2.5 internals would put it at 3.75L and around 276hp without boost. Skyactiv don't make for revvy engines, but still should be a blast. And fuel efficiency I'd wager would not be bad.

I would buy one only if I hit the lotto, but yeah I'm not going to be one of the guys who claims they will realistically buy one if they were made. Maybe used.. but that wouldn't help Mazda. Now an MS5..

If this 'Vision Coup' (which I think should be renamed Vixen Coup)

Auto makers rarely name a model after a female animal, they sometimes use female(ish) names (e.g. Sienna). They like to use masculine names to promote the power of the beast (e.g. Mitsubishi Colt, Ford Taurus, Ford Bronco, Dodge Charger Ford Mustang... etc). They play on the BCSD syndrome (Big Car Small ....).

Last edited:
Mercedes, Morgan, Elise, Silvia... Even Mazda joined in and made a car called the Carol.

Crown Victoria.

Last edited:
https://www.google.ca/search?safe=o...0i13i30k1.0.qmpmWBQD6VQ#imgrc=oQIwFd3GPtVzBM:

if you take a look at this link, there are pictures of Mazda's previous concept for the Mazda 6, the "Takeri" and as you can see, Mazda brought that general design and a lot of the features from that concept into production.

99.9% chance we can all expect essentially the same outcome for the 2019 Mazda 6 based of the Vision Concept.

Kind of looks like it. I hope they don't water it down too much though they probably will like Infinity watered down the new 2018 QX50 (they took a fire hose to it and killed it for me). That Kai looks hot. Although, when I look at the name Kai, I can't help but think Kia and that's just plain ole wrong. Maybe Takeri works better visually.

Auto makers rarely name a model after a female animal, they sometimes use female(ish) names (e.g. Sienna). They like to use masculine names to promote the power of the beast (e.g. Mitsubishi Colt, Ford Taurus, Ford Bronco, Dodge Charger Ford Mustang... etc). They play on the BCSD syndrome (Big Car Small ....).

Maybe they should. I would not mind driving a Vixen Coup. In fact, it fits. After all, I call my CX-9 "her" and "she" all the time. The odd part is that most Big Block guys used to always adorn their ride in some kind of female verbal wrapper: "She'll kick some @%$@% in the quarter!" or "She handles well in the turns now that I've modded her front suspension."

Vixen. Heck, might as well go all the way.

Mercedes, Morgan, Elise, Silvia... Evan Mazda joined in and made a car called the Carol.

Crown Victoria.

Yeah, but the owners changed it to "Crown Vic" - which kind of sounds like "Victor," though we know that's not the case.

Last edited:
Belt-line up yet again. By 2020 the windows will be WWII pillbox style 4 inches tall.

Are we talking Spitfire tall? Or Mustang tall?

Spitfire WWII:
spitfire-695x450.jpg

Mustang WWII:
400da0c5323fd1510caf316d853014aa.jpg

That's pretty short either way.

Inline six would make more sense than a V with that long hood. Maybe slant six to keep the hood lower- since they have to recast a block anyway.. Off the shelf 2.5 internals would put it at 3.75L and around 276hp without boost. Skyactiv don't make for revvy engines, but still should be a blast. And fuel efficiency I'd wager would not be bad.

I would buy one only if I hit the lotto, but yeah I'm not going to be one of the guys who claims they will realistically buy one if they were made. Maybe used.. but that wouldn't help Mazda. Now an MS5..

An inline 6 is more efficient, smoother, better low RPM torque delivery, sharper throttle response, more rev happy manner, better sound etc but it is hard to fit in anything but a RWD car because it is very long and required special modification to fit which is why most manufacturers have replaced it with a v6 so they can simply fit this engine across their whole lineup of cars. Since Mazda is wisely sticking to 4 cylinders for their smaller cars, an inline 6 makes perfect sense.

It would be an incredibly efficient machine. Hell My 3900pound BMW 528i gets a consistent 32MPG on the highway with a 3L Inline 6 whether Im going 100 or 140mm/h.

Inline 6s are known to make very linear and smooth torque, so it wouldnt make any sense for Mazda to turn it into a high revving motor anyways. It would be just lovely.

Back