Tire Rotation Poll How do you rotate your tires?

How do you rotate your tires?

• Rotate tires at every oil change.

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Rotate tires on a independant mileage schedule.

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • Rotate tires as needed by measured tread wear.

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Never rotate the tires

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

mazdadude

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOM
:
'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring
I am curious about your tire rotations, and your schedule.

Rotate every Oil change?

Rotate on a separate milage schedule?

Rotate as needed by treadwear?

Never Rotate?

Last edited:
I am curious about your tire rotations, and your schedule.

Rotate every Oil change?

Rotate on a separate milage schedule?

Rotate as needed by treadwear?

Never Rotate?

Rotating the tires at every oil change I think is very excessive.

Personally, I would drive until the front tires have roughly 50-60% tread, then put them on the back.

I rotate tire seasonally along with swapping my all seasons for winters tires. I use a tire marking pen to note where I pulled them from and then when I reinstall that set I rotate them. For the directional snow tires its front to back on the same side and for the stock all seasons its front to back and cross the backs to the front for even wear. I typically only go about 12,000miles a year so it's about 5-6k on any given set before they are rotated.

Same routine here, with less mileage. The order of the rotation is spelled in owner's manual.

~7500 miles. Far more important on a AWD vehicle.... not sure on the Mazda but the Torsen in my GX and the clutch pack in my G can be damaged if you let wear get too uneven.

5k miles, rotation pattern according to owners manual

here in sweden, we have to change our tyres from winter to summer and back to winter again so twice a year . At each tyre change we rotate our tyres. I mark my tyres with side and front or back on a piece of plastic label that goes on the tyre air valve during removal. Besides I even try to chose tyres that are non directional so that I can rotate them cross wise and not just front to back. For the winter tyres that can be a problem. Continental Viking conti 6 is the only winter tyre that will allow you to do that.

Last edited:
I rotate mine every 6ish months when I do the winter / summer swap over. (Yes we get at least 5 months of Mr winter).
The summers follow the manuals criss/cross, and the winter tires do the front to back

For what it's worth, my dealer recommended rotating with every oil change: "more often because of Mazda's aggressive suspension geometry".

For what it's worth, my dealer recommended rotating with every oil change: "more often because of Mazda's aggressive suspension geometry".

Thats a load of BS. Mazdas alignment is a little more aggressive then Usual, but your tires will wear evenly if you drive a little spirited around corners. Even from normal driving the tires wear very evenly, better then my RWD BMW which has -1.8 negative camber on the rear axle from the factory.

Dont waste your time or money rotating so frequently, it makes absolutely zero sense. I say you should rotate when your front tires get to about 50-60% tread.

There's nothing remotely "aggressive" about suspension geometry or alignment settings on the CX-5. However, that said, If you're changing your oil every 7500 miles (as many here seen to do) then follow the dealer's advice. I change oil at 5k miles (I put less than 10k on the car each year) and rotate tires between oil changes @7.5k.

I rotate them when they begin to get loud. No calendar, I just listen to them. I don't drive a CX-5 though.
My tires are BFG KDW2s.

I rotate them when they begin to get loud. No calendar, I just listen to them. I don't drive a CX-5 though.
My tires are BFG KDW2s.

not all tires will get louder as they wear out...

is "X" rotation pattern ok ?

I get free tire rotations from where I got tires and saw that the tech used an "X" pattern rotation (OPTION B) below

tire_rotation_abc.png

owners manual recommends (OPTION C), just wondering which pattern most member use for non-directional tires ?

attachment.php

useful link I found on rotation patterns: https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/tire-rotation-patterns

Attachments

• 54.JPG
    54.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,080
Last edited:
Back