My Tire Review: Yokohama YK740 GTX

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech
When I needed to replace the 19" tires on my 2014 GT (AWD), I decided that I wanted to stay with the OEM size (225/55/19) AND the OEM speed rating ("V"). As everyone knows, there aren't too many tires around in that size! I chose the Yokohama YK740 GTX which is sold only at Discount Tire and America's Tire. I bought them in the Fall of 2016 and paid $793 out the door including lifetime balancing, lifetime repair and taxes. Their UTQG is 740/A/A and max inflation pressure is 51 pounds. I run them at 36 PSI. I had them on for only a short time in 2016 (3 weeks that included an 1,100 mile road trip) before I put my winter tires on. For 2017 I had them on from 4/9 through 10/23. I now have 14,143 miles on them in total.

In a word, these tires have been fantastic. They handle as well as or even better than the OEM Toyo A23's; the grip is tremendous. Since they come new with 12/32" of tread depth, their wet performance is awesome too. That said, I would not want them on in winter weather; dedicated winter tires are a must for me here in MN. When I took the tires off, I measured the tread depth. The rears had 11/32", left front was 10.5/32" and right front was 9.5/32" (not sure why the right wore faster than the left). For the record, I do not rotate tires; never have, never will. When the fronts wear out, I buy 4 new ones. Everyone has their own way of doing things, so please no soapbox speeches!

Pros: Superb handling, great tread life (so far), good gas mileage (a road trip that I took this summer was on smaller roads. I averaged 60 mph and 33 mpg), they are attractive looking.

Cons: They are heavy at 29.1 pounds each which slows off-the-line acceleration somewhat. They are noisier than many other tires, including the OEM Toyo's.

On balance, I would buy these again in a heartbeat! Completely satisfied.

Here's a link to the Yokohama information page on them in case that's of interest.

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/yk740-gtx

Yokohama tires are really well suited to mazdas chassis, and I will just keep buying them for that car. The performance in the rain is astounding, treadwear has been quite good and steering precision/communication is excellent.

I also have a set of Yokohama iceguard IG52C winter tires on my BMW, which is RWD and I have been quite pleased with those as well. Sure there are winter tires out there that may have more grip in deep snow, but these Yokohama’s are such good all-around performers, they are simply a great match for the weather we get in Toronto because we get lots of slush, rain, even periods of dry weather and these tires performed wonderfully in the snow. A friend of mine has a very similar winter set on his FWD Acura TL and he drives the absolute puss out of that car regardless what tires he has mounted, and these Yokohama winters still look brand new after 4 winters of use on his car. It is the best treadwear for any winter tire I have ever seen..

Back