Lug Nuts for Steel Wheels

MZ5black

:
2014 Mazda5 Sport Auto
I have Mazda6 steel wheels for winter tires and wondering if they should have a different set of lug nuts than what I'm using for the stock 16" alloys on my 2014 5. Pretty sure the lug nut set I have is the original, OEM set. I used these lug nuts with those steel wheels for a couple of months last year without any issues to my knowledge but wondering if I should do something differently? Want to avoid damaging anything. If someone can share OEM or aftermarket part number for lug nuts that work well with Mazda steel wheels, that will help.

By way of additional detail, the Hollander number for my steel wheels is 64920. They fit 2009-12 Mazda6 but will most likely fit 2003-08 6's as well. Heck, could be an identical wheel. Anyway, the OEM part number is either 9965-91-6560 or 9965-B8-6560 (not sure). The Dorman part number is 939-150.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I decided to just stick with stock lug nuts. Hopefully will not have any issues.

My M5 came with the stock 17" aluminum wheels and lug nuts. Hated the ride quality, sold them and bought 16" steel wheels. But kept using the stock lug nuts. Going on 4 years with many rotations and swaps. No problemo.

My M5 came with the stock 17" aluminum wheels and lug nuts. Hated the ride quality, sold them and bought 16" steel wheels. But kept using the stock lug nuts. Going on 4 years with many rotations and swaps. No problemo.

Good to know -- thanks for the post.

There are 2 types of lug nuts: acorn and round seat. The round seat ones are rounded where they meet the wheel and are AFAIK exclusively Honda OEM. Everyone else uses acorn nuts except Ford F-150s in the early mid-90s when they tried hub-centric wheels, which was very short-lived. You will be fine, as everyone else has already said.

Back