Wheel lock for 2017 CX-5 GT AWD

My 2017 GT does not come with anti-theft wheel lock. Mazda dealer quoted $55 for a set of 4 cones. They look like repackaged McGuad into Mazda label w/o model number. I was shopping around. Amazon lists McGuard 20157 and 20257 as the ones that fit 2017 CX-5 GT, but the length are 1.28" and 1.24" respectively. The selling prices are $22 and $34. I also took out an OEM lug nut from a wheel. The lug nut is only 0.75" long.

My question is: if you have after market wheel locks, what do you use?

Thank you.

Kelvin

I removed the stock wheel locks from my 2016.5 as I do not want to use them. They're in perfect condition. I'd be happy to sell them to you. If you're interested I could snap a pic or two for you? I even have the package that they came in, along with the 'key' of course. Make me an offer.

Last edited:
I removed the stock wheel locks from my 2016.5 as I do not want to use them. They're in perfect condition. I'd be happy to sell them to you. If you're interested I could snap a pic or two for you? I even have the package that they came in, along with the 'key' of course. Make me an offer.

Do people steal O.E. rims off of a CUV?
Like you, I also have built up a collection of the wheel locks. I take them off if a car comes with them. They have only caused me grief in the past, especially when the "key" is no longer found in the car, forgotten to be put back in the trunk by the tire shop, or the mechanic rotating tires during the oil change... If there is someone who really wants to remove your "locked" wheel, all they need is a LOST KEY MASTER SOCKET. It is a socket that slips over the locked lug, and destroys the lock as it removes it.

71R3Sf-ufnL._SY450_.jpg

The wheel theft has become a thing of the past era as the aluminium wheels are no more expensive than steel rim wheels now a day's.

Do people steal O.E. rims off of a CUV?
Like you, I also have built up a collection of the wheel locks. I take them off if a car comes with them. They have only caused me grief in the past, especially when the "key" is no longer found in the car, forgotten to be put back in the trunk by the tire shop, or the mechanic rotating tires during the oil change... If there is someone who really wants to remove your "locked" wheel, all they need is a LOST KEY MASTER SOCKET. It is a socket that slips over the locked lug, and destroys the lock as it removes it.

71R3Sf-ufnL._SY450_.jpg

This can be done with a regular cheap as hell socket. It will damage the socket so it can't really be used for normal functions, but will grip the lock and turn it.

This can be done with a regular cheap as hell socket. It will damage the socket so it can't really be used for normal functions, but will grip the lock and turn it.

(2thumbs)

Yes, that method can be used by the thieves as well. But as a former tool salesman, I prefer to see the pros use a removal socket, instead of a socket destruction. (smash)

Regardless, if someone wants the wheel bad enough, they can get the lock off without much hassle. You will only be inconveniencing the honest people. (bang)

>> Do people steal O.E. rims off of a CUV?

Yes they do! When I bought my 2017, the sales guy said they install wheel locks on all new vehicles due to a rash of wheel thefts from vehicles on the lot, mainly CX9's and CX5s.

>> Do people steal O.E. rims off of a CUV?

Yes they do! When I bought my 2017, the sales guy said they install wheel locks on all new vehicles due to a rash of wheel thefts from vehicles on the lot, mainly CX9's and CX5s.

Of course he said that. Fear and doubt leads to profit.

Mazda doesn't sell enough of these vehicles to go to the trouble of stealing the wheels. The most common wheel theft I see is from trucks and SUV's like the Tahoe where there is a big market in Mexico for the newer American rim style. Honda is popular too.

Not to mention any thief can defeat a wheel "lock" in a few seconds. Youtube has plenty of videos of it.

Back