Mudflaps

Genuine one is about $50 a pair.
I am not saying genuine one is better.
Just pointing out a fact.

I contacted a Mazda dealer here in Orlando today to inquire about mud flaps for the 2017 Mazda 6.
They retail for $74.90 at the dealership.
I'm from Canada, and I wanted to compare prices.
They are over $100 back home.

I contacted a Mazda dealer here in Orlando today to inquire about mud flaps for the 2017 Mazda 6.
They retail for $74.90 at the dealership.
I'm from Canada, and I wanted to compare prices.
They are over $100 back home.

$75 USD is almost $100 CAD, so...

$75 USD is almost $100 CAD, so...

So.....unless you live in a cave, I didn't think that needed explaining.
For you though: Canadian dollar is at $0.775 at the moment.

P.S. Isn't it past your bedtime young fella?

Last edited:
FYI, I checked on the Canadian Mazda site, and the mudflaps are listed as a $131.00 (CND) option. A little much I'd say.

IMO they don't help that much due to their size.

Previous car I owned had similar size and they didn't make much difference. Car before that had larger ones and they helped
My Hyundai has some small mud flaps and I would argue that they make a pretty good difference. Easily seen when going down gravel/muddy roads. Flapless cars will have a big splatter streak of mud up the side of the car.

My Hyundai has some small mud flaps and I would argue that they make a pretty good difference. Easily seen when going down gravel/muddy roads. Flapless cars will have a big splatter streak of mud up the side of the car.

My question to you then is fronts only or both front and rear? Me I'm leaning towards both front and rear.

My question to you then is fronts only or both front and rear? Me I'm leaning towards both front and rear.

FYI again.
I just bought both front and rear flaps from a dealer here in Clermont (Orlando) Florida. They are for a 6.
Being from Canada, I was very hesitant to buy anything from a third party vendor down here, in case they didn't fit.
Anyway, Mazda has a 15% off all accessories thingy going on here, so I ended up paying $136, all in, OTD, for both sets.
Cheaper than at home, and I know they'll fit.
There's actually not much to them, but I bought them more for looks than for protection.

Each to their own

They are kept small to avoid messing with the aerodynamics but they do stop quite a bit of crud being slung up the sides. Fitting the rears is easy but the fronts are a bit more demanding. I can add the instructions if you like?
Finally able to att. Pictures. My 2018 has 4 small flaps ....2 behind front wheels and 2 in front of back wheels. Do they serve as mud flaps? Do earlier cx5's have them? Would you still add mud flaps with these? Thanks [emoji16] 20180119_122757.jpg20180119_122836.jpg

Finally able to att. Pictures. My 2018 has 4 small flaps ....2 behind front wheels and 2 in front of back wheels. Do they serve as mud flaps? Do earlier cx5's have them? Would you still add mud flaps with these? Thanks [emoji16]View attachment 218492View attachment 218493

Those are not mudflaps. From memory, these are supposed to help air flow under the vehicle (happy to be corrected)

I bought a set of Universal Basic Rally Armor mudflaps.... (50 CDN$)
I'll let you know when I get around installing them :)

They are kept small to avoid messing with the aerodynamics but they do stop quite a bit of crud being slung up the sides. Fitting the rears is easy but the fronts are a bit more demanding. I can add the instructions if you like?

Hi Anchorman,

I have already installed the rear ones myself on my 2017 CX-5 GT. But do not feel confident enough about the front splash guards.
I am particularly concerned about the Jack nut. I do not have any tools to install it and moreover, I feel that the instruction manual could have been more detailed enough in order to get it done as a DIY project.
It would be really helpful, if you can post some more detailed step by step instruction (especially how to install the jack nut) so that people like me can get some benefit. Couple of pics would be really nice.:)

Thanks!

I installed them myself.
It always involve some cutting on the trim.
However, for 2017/front, it needs to install one jack nut.
That should have been OK, but the jack nut that came with my set was of poor precision.
I had to do some *surgery* to make it work.
The instruction on that was not clear either.

Hi ceric,

I second you.

I have already installed the rear ones myself on my 2017 CX-5 GT. Desperately looking for some nice detailed step by step instruction for installing the front splash guards.
The details in the manual are not sufficient enough to take it up as a DIY project.
I am particularly concerned about the Jack nut. I do know what to do with it or what tool do I need to install it.
Can I install the jack nut with out any special tool?
It would be really helpful, if you can post some more detailed step by step instruction (especially how to install the jack nut) so that people like me can get some benefit.
Couple of pics with some highlighted areas would be really nice.:)

And please elaborate what "surgery" did you do? :)

Thanks!

I did a tutorial on this but can I find it?

I*ve attached the pdf instructions so they can be referred to.

EDIT - at 1.1Mb its too big would you believe.

Items 1 & 2 just refer to removing the corner trim. Item 3 shows setting the jack nut. Its just a captive nut to receive a meteoric set screw. They have a special tool but you can do it by inserting the set screw with a suitable washer;

IMG_3731.jpg

Run the nut up from behind as shown. If you hold the nut with a pair of pliers while you tighten the screw it will spread the jack nut. It should look like this.

IMG_3732.jpg

IMG_3733.jpg

In item 4 you need to pull back that wheel arch trim on the outside of the wing. You start at the bottom by easing it back on the wheel arch side then work your fingers round until the other side separates, you can start pulling back on both sides together. They go with a crack but don*t worry unless it gets really cold weather in which case, gently warm it or pour hot water over it. Gradually work up with your fingers as close to the fixing as possible until you*ve got the first 3 trim studs free. Snip that little plastic blank out while you are at it;

IMG_3734.jpg

Now you need to pull the wheel arch liner back enough to expose the inner stiffener. Slide the speed clip into place. It will look like this.

IMG_3735.jpg

IMG_3736.jpg

Now you can pop it all together and prep the mudflap. It needs cleaning (I use spirit wipe - IPA) to clean the trim and the mudflap. You get one chance to stick it tight in the the trim or it its a fool to get off. Pop the supplied screws in to finally secure it.

IMG_4058.jpg

IMG_4060.jpg

IMG_4061.jpg

Back