Mudflaps

Boywonder

:
2017 CX-5 GT tech
What are your thoughts on mudflaps?

The dealer wanted Canadian $120 per pair to add these to the car. I respectfully passed, but am wondering if I should pick them up before winter.

All of my previous cars came with them from the factory (1989 Honda Civic, 2001 Toyota Corolla, and 2009 Acura CSX), so it wasn't something that I have given thought to before.

I'm getting the factory ones at my next oil change. They're a little cheaper here in the US.

You do know that these are not very large:

Front

01.png

Rear

02.png

They are kept small to avoid messing with the aerodynamics but they do stop quite a bit of crud being slung up the sides. Fitting the rears is easy but the fronts are a bit more demanding. I can add the instructions if you like?

You do know that these are not very large:

Front

01.png

Rear

02.png

I installed the Mazda splash guards on my 2016.5 and while the above pic is accurate for the front the rear certainly isn't that small, it's much larger than that.

They are kept small to avoid messing with the aerodynamics but they do stop quite a bit of crud being slung up the sides. Fitting the rears is easy but the fronts are a bit more demanding. I can add the instructions if you like?
So installation on those OEM mud-flaps is more difficult for front than rear on 2017 CX-5? Thats opposite to 2016 CX-5s as the installation for OEM rear mud-flaps on 2016 requires some plastic trim cutting. Yeah please post installation instruction for 2017 OEM mud-flaps and we all would appreciate it!

OEM rear mud-flaps on 2016 CX-5 are much larger than 2017s and people frequently call them dumbo ears. :)

What are your thoughts on mudflaps?

The dealer wanted Canadian $120 per pair to add these to the car. I respectfully passed, but am wondering if I should pick them up before winter.

All of my previous cars came with them from the factory (1989 Honda Civic, 2001 Toyota Corolla, and 2009 Acura CSX), so it wasn't something that I have given thought to before.

I saw a set of 4 on Amazon I am going to buy should I buy a CX5 today or tomorrow. Mazda is notorious for having soft paint that seems to chip rather easily. The flaps are great for deflecting stones away from your rocker panels where you will see the most damage from stone chips. They were not $120, perhaps US$40 a set?

So installation on those OEM mud-flaps is more difficult for front than rear on 2017 CX-5? That’s opposite to 2016 CX-5’s as the installation for OEM rear mud-flaps on 2016 requires some plastic trim cutting. Yeah please post installation instruction for 2017 OEM mud-flaps and we all would appreciate it!

OEM rear mud-flaps on 2016 CX-5 are much larger than 2017’s and people frequently call them “dumbo ears”. :)

I installed them myself.
It always involve some cutting on the trim.
However, for 2017/front, it needs to install one jack nut.
That should have been OK, but the jack nut that came with my set was of poor precision.
I had to do some *surgery* to make it work.
The instruction on that was not clear either.

I saw a set of 4 on Amazon I am going to buy should I buy a CX5 today or tomorrow. Mazda is notorious for having soft paint that seems to chip rather easily. The flaps are great for deflecting stones away from your rocker panels where you will see the most damage from stone chips. They were not $120, perhaps US$40 a set?

First review I read says they do not fit a 2017 model. I see the seller modified his header to disclose this tidbit.

these are useful to help keep your car clean, so dirt and s*** from the road doesnt kick up onto your paint.

Is there a need to have the rear flaps? Mainly I'm thinking that the flaps are to protect the paint on the lower door area. As I look at where the flaps would be for the rear, what is there to protect behind them?

IMO they don't help that much due to their size.

Previous car I owned had similar size and they didn't make much difference. Car before that had larger ones and they helped

Back