Steep driveway

Ccoast

:
Mercedes ml320
I'd love to get a cx-5' but live on a long, steep driveway which is ice and snow covered 5 months of the years. I need technology similar to low range 4WD, or a dedicated downhill descent button which allows the car to go slowly down the hill. Would the Mazda technology work on my driveway? Top downhill speed about 5 MPH. Responses in simple, non-technical language, please 😁

Yes is the short answer but it wont defy the laws of physics.

image.png

Put some winter tires on there and then use the foot brake as needed. It will be fine. It will really have awesome traction and you aren't going to slide out of control.

What vehicles do you have a history with?

Put some winter tires on there and then use the foot brake as needed. It will be fine. It will really have awesome traction and you aren't going to slide out of control.

What vehicles do you have a history with?

I have an M class Mercedes-works like a charm. I've had good luck with RAV4 downhill assist, which is out of production now, as well as 4WD vehicles. What didn't work was an Outback Legacy-put in in the lowest gear but the second I'd touch the brakes, I'd slide(that is when I got a guardrail for my birthday). The Subaru now has a system which allows descending in a slow manner, but I really don't want another one.

Were you using all season or winter tires?

What is your vehicle ownership criteria? I ask because why did you get rid of RAV 4 when it worked well for u?

Last edited:
The Rav was on a lease and I turned it in to buy a new car for my daughter heading to college, and started driving the Mercedes, which she was driving in high school.

I had all season tires on the Outback.

I know my GX with even all seasons would do fine with its downhill crawl control. The CX and lots of other vehicles with winter tire would accomplish the goal. I am far from a diehard winter tire advocate but it sounds like you have a special case that certainly warrants use.

I’ve personally had good experience with these on my CX

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tir...userguid=ff97175d-3887-4eb1-8091-bd6df1cfd18d

Not even seeing your driveway I now they will do well from what I have used them in.

Thanks for your input. I've had so many people visiting slide off my road-including the snow plower. Got rid of the Subaru long ago since all I did was slide.
When you say the downhill crawl control-what do you mean? The dealership here hasn't really had anyone with my issue, so they can't comment much about it cx capability.

My Lexus GX 460 has a downhill crawl control mode you can turn on when in 4 low where you can let the vehicle crawl down the hill without your foot on brake or accelerator. It will brake with ABS assist if needed without user input.

You should try out some winter tires in your scenario for one season on some cheap black steel rims on whatever vehicle you decide on. You should still be able to recoup 75% of cost after a single season if they don’t work out.

Yes-the Lexus would work for sure. I just love the feel of the Mazda and would be thrilled to make it work. You've given me something to think about!

Please report back on whatever you decide. I can almost guarantee some good winter tires on a CX-5 will work in your situation.

EDIT: ‘17+ CX-5 reportedly has a more aggressive off-road mode with traction control turned off. The diagonal test videos on YouTube claim.

Last edited:
Please report back on whatever you decide. I can almost guarantee some good winter tires on a CX-5 will work in your situation.

EDIT: 17+ CX-5 reportedly has a more aggressive off-road mode with traction control turned off. The diagonal test videos on YouTube claim.

I am going to the dealer tomorrow-planning on bringing home a Hyundai Santa Fe or Tucson to test on my driveway-I live an hour away from the car dealers but they will lend me one for the night. I'll check in with the Mazda dealer to see if they can enlighten me with the new system. I'll keep you posted!

I am going to the dealer tomorrow-planning on bringing home a Hyundai Santa Fe or Tucson to test on my driveway-I live an hour away from the car dealers but they will lend me one for the night. I'll check in with the Mazda dealer to see if they can enlighten me with the new system. I'll keep you posted!

I wound up purchasing a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk-it has a dedicated 4x4 so there is no question that it will work how I need it to on my drive-thanks for your input!

What're you going to tell the Hyundai dealer if you slide the loaner off your driveway?!

I knew a guy with a driveway so steep he had a winch mounted on the back wall of his garage. He would winch his car down to the road, un hook it and leave the hook there. In the e ending he would hook up and pull the car up into the garage.

I wound up purchasing a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk-it has a dedicated 4x4 so there is no question that it will work how I need it to on my drive-thanks for your input!

I initially read you got a Jeep Grand Cherokee - but you got a Cherokee instead. Check out the recent reliability - the new Cherokee gets a lot of stick for many reasons.

Those Trailhawks are pretty cool. I see a few of em up in the hills when we're playing around in our 4runner. They do good offroad! Damn the squinty-looking face on em, but to each his own. That Jeep's about perfect for your driveway/situation.

One tip if you plan on 'wheeling it: Get some aftermarket sliders. The guy I know ripped his stock plastic ones up within a couple weeks. Mopar makes some beefy ones.

Back