Steep driveway

transmissions have a lot to do with how a car behaves going up and down steep hills. I read more than a few posts about how CVTs do not provide the same engine braking effect that traditional geared transmissions do. At crawling speeds, this may be different, as systems like Subaru's X-mode change the parameters of the AWD system, but at freeway speeds, X-mode is not operational and cars with CVTs coast longer, even when selecting "manual" mode and downshifting.

The TrailHawk is very capable model, in all Jeeps that come in that trim. However, capabilities cannot overcome quality or engineering shortfalls. Are you keeping the BFG ATs that it comes with or are you swapping them out for dedicated snows?

did you get the 4 or 6 cyl version? Yes, the Cherokee TH can come in both flavors, though, not many dealers stock a 4cyl TH. Also, what color did you choose, not that color affects off-road/hill climbing prowess...

You certainly need a set of hard-core winters tires and to learn to use the brakes in winter. A sack of rock salt should be an annual purchase.

We have little winter weather here. The one time I drove my 2015 CX-5 in the snow, it behaved like snow was not there. Ice is another matter. Dad used to buy studded snow tires or chains. I just wait for it to melt.

Back