2017 CX-5: Vinyl Protectant for Dash Cover & Door Panels

I had a 2014 CX-5 Touring which I used MeGuiar vinyl protectant on the dash cover and inside door panels to protect them from UV light.

Now I have upgraded to 2017 CX-5 GT with leather seats. Are the material on the dash cover and door panel leather or vinyl? I am hesitant to try to clean them until I am very sure of the answer. To the 2017 CX-5 GT owners, what is your experience?

BTW: I use NuFinish (oce every 6 months) on the exterior body instead of wax.

Kelvin

I had a 2014 CX-5 Touring which I used MeGuiar vinyl protectant on the dash cover and inside door panels to protect them from UV light.

Now I have upgraded to 2017 CX-5 GT with leather seats. Are the material on the dash cover and door panel leather or vinyl? I am hesitant to try to clean them until I am very sure of the answer. To the 2017 CX-5 GT owners, what is your experience?

Kelvin

The dash and door material that is stitched is vinyl.

Kelvin

Up to you if you wish to use some sort of cleaner/protectant for the dashboard.

When I purchased my 6 a couple of years ago, I rang Mazda Australia HQ and asked if I could use some sort of cleaner/protectant for the dashboard. I was advised not to use one at and to only use a micro fibre cloth or something similar to keep it clean.

Up to you what you wish to do with this official advice.

I bought this one too at Amazon. I plan to apply this once every 6 months and use that Armor All matte finish once a month.

Used it on a vinyl top of my MX5. I also use Meguires rubber and vinyl, but not at the same time, love the smell of it, that new car smell. I also plan to Scotch Guard the suede center seat inserts of the new vehicle. A former employee now has his own detail shop, going to give him a call and see what is the latest greatest exterior protection. I have used Collonite 845 and between waxes or cycles of removing old road film etc and light buffing with Ultimate compound if needed, I use Wax as you Dry followed up with a quality microfiber final wipe down,

pretty much any protectant that is designed for vinyl will work on all interior surfaces of the CX-5. The CX-5 leather is a coated leather to add durability to it. Essentially its a vinyl coated leather. There is some debate whether or not, because it's perforated, if leather conditioners actually reach the leather or not. The vinyl protectant you have will do just fine. I prefer to use a combination of things for keeping my interior clean. For deep cleaning I use megiuars all purpose cleaner diluted 10:1 and a horse hair brush to agitate removed with a clean micro fiber. I follow that with Meguiars Ultimate leather balm on the seats, door inserts , steering wheel and shift knob. I then use 303 on the dash, the rest of the door and any other surface. For lighter cleaning I like optimum leather protectant +, it has mild detergents and great UV protection in one. For quick wipe downs I use Meguiars quick interior detailer. Another product I like that is available at most stores is meguiars natural shine protectant.

I use VLR cleaner and protectant - Vinyl/Leather/Rubber. Works great, smells good. Seats and dash still look great after over 4 years.

And yes, virtually all automotive leather is coated leather for durability. Including ultra high end cars. I think I once saw a full aniline auto interior - it was a concept show car, never meant for actual use.

Last edited:
I was looking at my bottle, no web site to speak of from the bottle, which I find surprising.

At any rate, I just dressed my new CX5 with 303, scotch guarded the sueded center inserts.

Kelvin

Hi,

I used Optimum Leather Protectant for the seats. I usually apply two coats twice a year.

For the door panels and dash I used Ultima Interior Guard Plus.

Carpet and floor mats were done with 303 Fabric Guard.

The above are all top notch products for cars - hope that helps.

Back