Snow tires or all season

Tirerack has TPMS sensors for the new '17 CX-5 for $49 ea. They claim they are real OEM sensors.

I've been debating getting a set of winter tires/wheels even though I'm in Portland Oregon. We've had at least one good dump two of the past three winters, and last year we got around 16" in one storm. Doesn't sound so bad, but Portland doesn't have any plows (because it doesn't snow much) so the snow sticks around until it melts. Last year that meant about two weeks of difficult to impossible driving. Especially if you live in a hilly area, it can be really tough to get around. We got through it last year with an AWD CRV on all-season Michelins, but there were a few close calls.

For a little over $1K, it might just make sense (especially since we go skiing a lot).

Good for at least 5 years of use. You will be surprised how well they work in the cold rain too.

I'm not going to blow that kind of money for 2-3 days.

Concur.

If I had an actual "snow/winter season" sure. As it is, I don't so it's not worth it.

I mean, yes it'll be winter, but snow/ice on the ground? That won't be often enough to be worth it and my experience with my current set of tires and the CX-5 over the past 5 years is that it'll be fine for whatever I do end up hittin' a few times this year.

If I had an actual "snow/winter season" sure. As it is, I don't so it's not worth it.

I mean, yes it'll be winter, but snow/ice on the ground? That won't be often enough to be worth it and my experience with my current set of tires and the CX-5 over the past 5 years is that it'll be fine for whatever I do end up hittin' a few times this year.

Really? You're in Denver and you don't have much snow/ice driving to deal with? They must do a great job plowing.

Come to think of it, when I was on the East Coast few people used snow tires and we got around. But the plows were always out - even on secondary roads - for every storm.

Really? You're in Denver and you don't have much snow/ice driving to deal with? They must do a great job plowing.

Come to think of it, when I was on the East Coast few people used snow tires and we got around. But the plows were always out - even on secondary roads - for every storm.

The thing is, yes plows are out, but whenever it snows, its all melted by the next day or two and then nothing for days/weeks/months depending on the winter. I'd say the past several winters here have been extremely mild.

And particularly where my condo is tends to be the lowest snowfall around the city when it does snow. Hell, snowed about 3 weeks ago and accumulated a bit, and the very next day there was no evidence it had snowed at all (except for broken tree branches I suppose).

Plus I tend to just work from home on the day where it snows heavily.

That's just how winters are here. It's not a frozen wasteland for 6 months.

I was planning to get snows on 17 inch rims this winter for my CX-5. (****..forgot about TPMS).
Our past 2 winters have been ridiculously mild. I didn't even use the snow blower last winter. So I am predicting a hellish winter this year. Having said that, I've driven for many years on All Season tires and I've never had one problem.

Common Sense > Snow Tires. Period. Every. Single. Time.

I mean sure but my common sense tells me if I have a job that I need to get to regardless of weather (1 snow day in 19 years qualifies I think) I better have the best possible tools at my disposal for job#1- getting there and getting there as safely as reasonably possible. I've owned many cars over that period, several of them RWD (maybe my MR2 turbo wasn't the smartest option for said job but #20s) plus I lived closer to work and further south back then but I always ran snows out of necessity and really never had an issue. Now living further north into the hills first big one being my driveway believe me when I say nothing but AWD will do and while I got away fine for years running triple treds year round on my old CRV I didn't feel the 19" Toyos were going to be good enough or size appropriate for bad conditions so I got 17" WT pkg with Dunlop Wintersports and they've been absolutely brilliant. So my common sense says if you live where it snows, have a job you can't punch out of short of the roads being closed then winter tires are the most common sense choice you can make and worth the money, sensors too. To me, money spent here is more useful than lane keep, blind spot, auto emergency braking blah blah combined all day long if your situation warrants. I do understand that its not a slam dunk decision for many as they see a few snow days a year on avg so to those folks I'd say stick with a good AS tire with 6/32 or more, always use common sense and you'll likely be just fine. Sorry tire rant over..point was for some common sense just isn't enough.

It. Just. Isn't.

I was planning to get snows on 17 inch rims this winter for my CX-5. (****..forgot about TPMS).
Our past 2 winters have been ridiculously mild. I didn't even use the snow blower last winter. So I am predicting a hellish winter this year. Having said that, I've driven for many years on All Season tires and I've never had one problem.

For anyone with a '16.5 or earlier, TPMS is no biggie since it's based on ABS wheel sensors. No individual tire sensors.

Farmers Almanac is predicting a wet winter in your area, so you may get dumped on.

Around my area, it seems common sense isn't very common any more. I call it "uncommon sense" now. ;)

But if I am getting new wheels and tires?!?!

I've been driving in winter for 30 years. Many of them snow filled. We have 4-7 major snow events a year most years. (Last 2 years was only 2).
I had snow tires on a FWD car for 3 of those years.
Common sense has kept me accident free and side of the road free for 27 years.

That's all the evidence I need.

Again, for the final time I am not saying snows are bad, or worthless. As I said I am getting them this year. But this bulls*** attitude that you are a danger to others if you don't have snows? I'm sorry but someone needs to say it: **** off. (Not you Monterra ;) )

Last edited:
^^I'll say that I've been out in some unplowed heavy ass wet s*** where if you didn't have awd and/or winter tires, probably some ground clearance too you were absofuckinglutely a hazard because you were very likely to get stuck (unfortunately many don't have the common sense to equip their vehicles properly) yet have a need to get somewhere regardless of conditions. Those assholes and the countless ones driving around on 2/32 (but have awd!) are the ones I say **** off to because you are cheap **** and are danger to me and to others.

I don't think we will ever get to agree on an answer for this one. I live in Dallas-Fort Worth. We get a bad snow storm maybe once a year, maybe not. Do you think I need snow tires? I would say it is not worth the cost of getting snow/winter tires for that 1 snow storm that might not even happen. I drive with all-season tires, even in my Speed3. If I can get out of the neighborhood confidently with all-season tires, I will drive to work. If not, I call in and stay at home. In my case, I don't think getting snow/winter tires are a practical option. I assume this is also the case for other people who live in places where it just doesn't snow as often to warrant having dedicated snow/winter tires.

I don't think we will ever get to agree on an answer for this one. I live in Dallas-Fort Worth. We get a bad snow storm maybe once a year, maybe not. Do you think I need snow tires? I would say it is not worth the cost of getting snow/winter tires for that 1 snow storm that might not even happen. I drive with all-season tires, even in my Speed3. If I can get out of the neighborhood confidently with all-season tires, I will drive to work. If not, I call in and stay at home. In my case, I don't think getting snow/winter tires are a practical option. I assume this is also the case for other people who live in places where it just doesn't snow as often to warrant having dedicated snow/winter tires.

Anyone who is willing to not drive in snow dosn't need snow tires. If I needed them one two or three times a year and didn't need to drive every day I wouldn't buy them.

But if I am getting new wheels and tires?!?!

I've been driving in winter for 30 years. Many of them snow filled. We have 4-7 major snow events a year most years. (Last 2 years was only 2).
I had snow tires on a FWD car for 3 of those years.
Common sense has kept me accident free and side of the road free for 27 years.

That's all the evidence I need.

Again, for the final time I am not saying snows are bad, or worthless. As I said I am getting them this year. But this bulls*** attitude that you are a danger to others if you don't have snows? I'm sorry but someone needs to say it: **** off. (Not you Monterra ;) )

Agreed. If I had to deal with more snow than I do, or still lived in the mountains, sure as rain (erm snow?) I'd have snow tires.

Where I am at now? Not a good use of several hundred dollars, and simply not needed. I know what my CX-5 can and can't do, and drive accordingly, and far safer than most drivers around here. Denver logic is everybody drives 15 MPH when it rains, but then they drive like 20 MPH over when it snows.

I don't do that and end up in a ditch flipped over like those jackasses.

Since I replaced the stock Yokohamas, no problems slipping, no problems braking, no problems turning. I know how to drive in the snow when I do (though most of the time I just stay home when it does), and as such the CX-5's with the Latitude Tour tires have handled any snow out here no problem. I even drove through Wyoming in January and a snowstorm on them, and the mountains in California, west of Reno, no problem. Though granted, I might have wanted snows for those 2 situations, regardless, didn't slip, didn't have problems braking, nothing.

Last edited:
For me. I want the best tires I can get on my car winter and summer. I am a great driver with 53 years experience and I can drive a 62 Buick with real wheel drive and worn out bias ply out of balance tires over a mountain through a blizzard I also have enough experience and sense to know that I don't want to.

100% agree..but great driver or not you're only as good as your tires allow you to be and with 4 baldinis in a blizzard of unplowed over a mountain I don't care what you're driving its probably not going to end well. With that said I also see plenty of lazy or cheap bastards particularly upstaters (with markedly higher winter tire take rates) running out old winter tires in summer too, which, as your video shows is also a pretty bad idea. But in extreme cold that extra softness in tread compound can be a real blessing (snow/ice or not)

Bottom line for me is that I want my wife in the safest possible thing I can put her in. She's an amazing driver. Honestly probably a little better then me in the nasty crap. So if there's any snow threat, I'll drive the Volvo with the AS and she'll take the AWD snow tired CX-5. Her commute is significantly worse then mine.
I can take sidestreets and be home in 30 (as opposed to my normal 15) minutes in the worst blizzard. She works downtown and it once took her 2 1/2 hours to get home on a drive that normally takes 30 minutes.

Bottom line for me is that I want my wife in the safest possible thing I can put her in. She's an amazing driver. Honestly probably a little better then me in the nasty crap. So if there's any snow threat, I'll drive the Volvo with the AS and she'll take the AWD snow tired CX-5. Her commute is significantly worse then mine.
I can take sidestreets and be home in 30 (as opposed to my normal 15) minutes in the worst blizzard. She works downtown and it once took her 2 1/2 hours to get home on a drive that normally takes 30 minutes.

I've been happy with my CrossContact LX20's in ice storms. On the way to work one night in a neighboring town, I believe I counted 20+ accidents on the freeway. The CX5 handled wonderfully. Traction was reduced and so forth, but the key was that the tires made it VERY predictable, even on glare ice.

If you value having a peace of mind when driving in a snow ridden location, then I say you must have snow tires. As mentioned earlier by another Mazda member, it really depends on where you live and where you're driving. Use your common sense. Thanks for reading.

Winter tires are already on my CX-5 and my wife's 6. It's not just a "snow thing" for me, though we get plenty of it here. Winter tires also maintain grip better at far lower temperatures as the compound stays softer than all seasons. I feel this is a huge benefit that's often overlooked.

Back