First oil change

Sounds strictly like a dealer thing like most free oil changes are. Funny they don't have number of quarts listed. Yes, do check the condition of the oil on the dipstick. Also inquire as to what brand oil they used, hopefully it's not some cheap blend...
That invoice does look fishy as dealers woul include everything theyve used and done into the invoice as an official record saved in the car manufactures database. The oil used should be listed in the inovice even if the item is free. Just imagne if the engine happened to have oil related issues and theres no record of oil been changed at 4,654 miles?

Be aware of those free oil changes offered by dealers! Dealers always use the cheapest bulk oil they can find and car manufactures have no power to force their dealers using their recommended oil. My Mazda dealer uses "Preferred Choice"(eek2) 0W-20 oil for standard oil change; $10 more if you want Mazda moly oil.

Town%252520North%252520Mazda%252520Oil-01_20151215.jpg

That invoice does look fishy as dealers woul include everything theyve used and done into the invoice as an official record saved in the car manufactures database. The oil used should be listed in the inovice even if the item is free. Just imagne if the engine happened to have oil related issues and theres no record of oil been changed at 4,654 miles?

Be aware of those free oil changes offered by dealers! Dealers always use the cheapest bulk oil they can find and car manufactures have no power to force their dealers using their recommended oil. My Mazda dealer uses "Preferred Choice"(eek2) 0W-20 oil for standard oil change; $10 more if you want Mazda moly oil.

Town%252520North%252520Mazda%252520Oil-01_20151215.jpg
My dealer is strictly Valvoline with Moly as an option. The other dealer around me offers Castrol.

On the dealer's services/prices chart it says "all mileage services include castrol synthetic oil." On the way to the car now; 1 hour 42 minutes on public transit. Yay.

On the dealer's services/prices chart it says "all mileage services include castrol synthetic oil." On the way to the car now; 1 hour 42 minutes on public transit. Yay.
NYCs traffic is not much better than LA then. But at least you have public transportation system but its almost non-existent in LA. :)

OK, so I called again to confirm: they use Castrol Synthetic, it is part of their "complimentary free/first service" along with the oil filter.
The dipstick shows clean oil, a tad above the max circle. And the dust pattern around the filler cap also has evidence of twisting and wiping.
I have yet to check the filter -- just got home, things are pretty crazy in downtown NY right now.

UPDATE: They did change the oil filter with the MV "hecho en Mexico" type. So I guess everything is in order. I'll be doing my own changes from this point so I'll be stashing me some good filters hopefully.

Last edited:
Back