First oil change

Friday

:
2017 Mazda CX-5
My 2017 CX-5 is 4 months old with 4644 miles on it. I recently took a 1400 mile trip and during that time, the following notice came up on the dash: "Service due in 3500 miles." I was not sure what this service was for. I looked in the manual about oil changes and see the schedule is 12 months/7500 miles (max). I then checked the page about the Maintenance Monitor which says the wrench light would come on when remaining oil life is down to 600 miles (it did not). But I have the "Vehicle Status Monitor" application option on the center display. When I checked that, the service notifications box was set to "off" (was like this from the factory). When I turned it on, I got the wrench symbol on the dash and it said, "Service past due." The monitor application is set to flexible and the oil setting is 3500 miles. I'm confused by 7500 mile manual schedule and the 3500 mile monitor setting.

Its confusing especially for 2017 CX-5 as it uses miles instead of percentage to indicate how much has the oil life left. For your 2017 CX-5, the factory setting for oil change maintenance interval is Flexible. The on-board computer will calculate the oil usage in different driving conditions and figure out how much does the oil life still have. In your case your oil life has about 3,500 miles left. 3,500 miles means in perfect condition you can drive another 3,500 miles but the oil life in miles will go down a lot faster than that due to non-ideal driving conditions. Until the oil life in miles reaching 7,500 actual miles or 12 months since last oil change with maintenance monitor reset, the wrench indicator will be displayed with the Oil change due message. Remember 7,500-mile or 12-month is the possible maximum OCI but due to the non-ideal driving conditions the oil life in miles will be decreasing faster than actual miles. In severe driving condition (Schedule 2 Maintenance Schedule) the oil life in miles will go down even faster!

Personally Id do the first oil change a little earlier, at the first 5,000 actual miles, the rest Id do 5,000~6,000 actual miles when the oil life indicating 30% of oil life left which is equivalent to 2017s 2,250 miles left on oil life.

"Service due in 3500 miles" and Service past due" messages were coming from the Scheduled part of Maintenance Monitor: Scheduled、Tire Rotation、Oil Change. This has nothing to do with oil change and I usually use it as the reminder for other maintenance items.

My daughter was scared when she saw an orange wrench appear on the dashboard. She had to wait until I got home and check it with the manual.
It was the oil service reminder that it need to be change. It showed up 1000 miles before the 5k that was set by the dealer. I have an appointment for Tuesday and I probably keep it with the 5-6k schedule due to her driving.

My daughter was scared when she saw an orange wrench appear on the dashboard. She had to wait until I got home and check it with the manual.
It was the oil service reminder that it need to be change. It showed up 1000 miles before the 5k that was set by the dealer. I have an appointment for Tuesday and I probably keep it with the 5-6k schedule due to her driving.
Or just let computer to decide when should you change the oil by setting oil change maintenance monitor to Flexible as recommended by Mazda. If you want to change oil early, you still can do it with some oil life left indicated by oil change maintenance monitor.

Thanks for both replies. I'm thinking the 3500 mile service due notification is the set point for the oil change, not the remaining oil life (on flexible setting). It has not changed for some time. If I add the current 4644 miles to the 3500 miles it totals 8144, above the maximum 7500 miles. Is it possible the 3500 miles was set by the dealership as SEOR MAZDA stated in his experience? And if so, how would I change the flexible set point? I have not tried changing to the "fixed" setting to see what numbers are there. The manual suggests using the flexible setting. An added point, I received a pre-scheduled oil change notification from the dealership for this week.

Thanks for both replies. I'm thinking the 3500 mile service due notification is the set point for the oil change, not the remaining oil life (on flexible setting). It has not changed for some time. If I add the current 4644 miles to the 3500 miles it totals 8144, above the maximum 7500 miles. Is it possible the 3500 miles was set by the dealership as SEOR MAZDA stated in his experience? And if so, how would I change the flexible set point? I have not tried changing to the "fixed" setting to see what numbers are there. The manual suggests using the flexible setting. An added point, I received a pre-scheduled oil change notification from the dealership for this week.
Thats why I said its very confusing on Flexible oil change interval using miles for oil life indicator on 2017 CX-5 as it will get confused with actual driving miles. If the Flexible oil change maintenance monitor says 40% instead of 3,500 miles, itd be much easier to understand by CX-5 owners!

Again, when you first reset the Flexible oil change interval, itll display 7,500 miles on 2017 CX-5 and 100% on 2016 CX-5. As the vehicle drives more under different driving conditions, the miles displayed will go down not in actual miles youre driving but at the faster rate as driving conditions usually arent ideal. For 2016 the percentage will go down too but its easier to understand as its not using miles which is not related to the actual miles driving. Once you have driven close to 7,500 mile or 12 months which is the maximum Flexible OCI allowed after the oil change, hance the wrench indicator and Oil change due message will be displayed. Often times your Flexible oil change monitor will reach to 0 mile before you drive 7,500 miles and the wrench indicator and Oil change due message will be displayed too as the reminder to have your oil changed.

Thanks @yrwei52,
I did not know about the "flex" setting and letting the car computer calculate based on driving conditions when to do the oil change.
It is always helpful to post on the forum because you can get info you did not know otherwise.

Just took the 2017 in for its first/free service yesterday. All they did was a "full circle" inspection and change the oil filter (PE01-14-302A-MV). Mileage was 4,654. I'd say half of those miles are stop-and-go traffic (the car does Queens-Brooklyn commute 40 miles daily). They reset the next service due mileage counter, and planned for the next service at 4 months/8654 miles (at least that's what the windshield sticker says).

Just took the 2017 in for its first/free service yesterday. All they did was a "full circle" inspection and change the oil filter (PE01-14-302A-MV). Mileage was 4,654. I'd say half of those miles are stop-and-go traffic (the car does Queens-Brooklyn commute 40 miles daily). They reset the next service due mileage counter, and planned for the next service at 4 months/8654 miles (at least that's what the windshield sticker says).
You can go to Maintenance Monitor “Oil Change” section and change it to “Flexible” then reset it. You should see it now says “7,500 miles” under “Flexible” setting. Now you can compare the oil life left by calculation and the fixed 4,000-mike/4-month OCI said on dealer’s window sticker. Once you reached 8,654 miles, you can check and compare the oil life in miles said by computer. You’ll see you oil still has plenty of oil life left in miles.

Remember even if you go by Schedule 2 on OCI for severe driving conditions, you still can use “Flexible” OCI. Or you can use “Fixed” OCI with 5,000 miles or 6 months. 4,000-mile or 4-month OCI is too early based on Mazda’s recommendation.

Last edited:
Thanks. I plan on changing my own oil, which I will do around the 5000 mile point as you suggested. And do my own tire rotations. Interestingly, the finance person at the dealership said I would void the warranty by doing my own oil changes. That is a whole other story. What do you know about the newest filter, 1WPE-14-302 versus the older ones, PE01-14-302 (A, A-MV)? I see conflicting reviews.

Thanks. I plan on changing my own oil, which I will do around the 5000 mile point as you suggested. And do my own tire rotations. Interestingly, the finance person at the dealership said I would void the warranty by doing my own oil changes. That is a whole other story. What do you know about the newest filter, 1WPE-14-302 versus the older ones, PE01-14-302 (A, A-MV)? I see conflicting reviews.
With different opinions on how soon should we do the first oil chage on new vehicles, 5,000 miles should be a good compromise for the first OCI to keep high-molybdenum factory oil in there a little longer but not close to Mazda recommended 7,500 miles.

Here is the comparison among those different Mazda OEM filters. I believe you should get the latest OEM filter PE01-14-302B found in your 2017 CX-5 from factory although that apparently is still not available in the US. Japanese made PE01-14-302A is always my choice. If you cant find PE01-14-302A, go for 1WPE-14-302. OEM Value Line filter PE01-14-302A-MV is my last choice.

There're now 3 OEM Mazda SkyActiv oil filters:

OEM Mazda
SkyActiv Oil Filters
PE01-14-302AMade in Japan with the best quality.
Comes with greased O-ring type gasket、
shrink wrapped seal on top preventing dust、
and packaged in a sealed paper box.
1WPE-14-302Made in Thailand.
Smaller in outside diameter than PE01-14-302A.
Comes with greased O-ring type gasket、
shrink wrapped seal on top preventing dust、
and packaged in a non-sealed paper box.
PE01-14-302A-MVMade in Mexico.
Comes with non-greased flat gasket、
shrink wrapped seal on entire filter、
and no paper box.

Based on picture provided by madar, Mazda OEM value-line PE01-14-302A-MV oil filter does look different from Wix 57002. But I'd still get PE01-14-302A-MV OEM "value" filter if there's no other OEM choices! :)
Actually there's a newer PE01-14-302B oil filter in Japan used in 2017 CX-5. Not sure if this revised "B" version Japanese made oil filter would be available in the US?

attachment.php

View attachment 216907

Finally, for DIY oil change on CX-5, make sure to read through the following thread for many valuable info and pictures. And the oil capacity is about 5.3 quarts with filter change instead of 4.8 quarts said in the owners and service manuals. Most people use 5 quarts leaving the oil level between Full and Add marks (or MAX and MIN marks on 2017 CX-5) and call it a day. :)

CX-5 Oil Change with Filter

So, with the first/free service... the dealer opted to just change the filter and leave the oil in with 4,654 miles. Is that to keep the factory moly-rich oil in a bit longer?

So, with the first/free service... the dealer opted to just change the filter and leave the oil in with 4,654 miles. Is that to keep the factory moly-rich oil in a bit longer?
Thiss very strange that a Mazda dealer would do only the filter change without changing oil. You should check the oil level ASAP just to make sure your dealer had added enough oil due to the oil loss by changing only the filter. Nevertheless unless your Flexible oil life monitor has been turned on and your dealer didnt reset it after the filter change, Id change the factory oil absolutely no later than 7,500 total odometer miles, that means you had better change your next oil within 2,846 miles, probably should be a lot sooner!

I also would check the invoice and ask the service advisor again making sure they actuallly did change the oil with filter.

I think that your dealer opted to save themselves some money and do the job half way. It has nothing to do with keeping the moly-rich oil because if they replaced it with the recommended Mazda oil they would be using the same oil as the factory fill.

Now you know why the first service was free.

Last edited:
This’s very strange that a Mazda dealer would do only the filter change without changing oil. You should check the oil level ASAP just to make sure your dealer had added enough oil due to the oil loss by changing only the filter. Nevertheless unless your “Flexible” oil life monitor has been turned on and your dealer didn’t reset it after the filter change, I’d change the factory oil absolutely no later than 7,500 total odometer miles, that means you had better change your next oil within 2,846 miles, probably should be a lot sooner!
I also would check the invoice and ask the service advisor again making sure they actuallly did change the oil with filter.
Never heard of that, just changing the filter on a new car with close to 5000 miles. If it were me, I'd change everything, oil and filter, right now.

Last edited:
I think that your dealer opted to save themselves some money and do the job half way. It has nothing to do with keeping the moly-rich oil because if they replaced it with the recommended Mazda oil they would be using the same oil as the factory fill.

Now you know what the first service was free.
Yeah, if dc16’s Mazda dealer indeed did half of the “free” oil change job, saving money on fresh oil has to be the reason. But all Mazda dealers in the US won’t use Mazda moly oil for oil change unless you fight for it and pay for the extra, provided the service advisor knows there’s such an oil exists and the parts department does have it in stock.

We know from UOA that the factory oil has very high content of molybdenum, but we don’t know if it actually is Mazda moly oil as it seems to be marketed and sold only in the USA.

Last edited:
Never heard of that, just changing the filter on a new car with close to 5000 miles. If it were me, I'd change everything, oil and filter, right now.
Yep, if I were dc16, Id do entire oil change very soon after I verified the free oil change is indeed only an oil filter replacement. In fact, Id check the part number on newly replaced oil filter making sure its not the PE01-14-302B found only from factory, or it means the dealer didnt even change the oil filter. If thats the case, Id report the whole incident to Mazda North American Operations and switch to another Mazda dealer for future maintenance.

Thanks for the advice guys. I just called them and the service manager said that their first complimentary free service, which they give all new/leased vehicles, always includes an oil change and oil filter. I inquired why the oil fluids were not on the invoice and they said it was part of the complimentary service line item (but the oil filter isn't??). Any Mazda techs or employees know anything about this?

I'll have the check the car later today. Hopefully I can tell if the oil has been changed through the dipstick. This is the invoice.. I blotted out the dealer specific stuff to give them the benefit of the doubt at this point.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3eVqk20WI8PMKNqX2

Yep, if I were dc16, I’d do entire oil change very soon after I verified the “free” oil change is indeed only an oil filter replacement. In fact, I’d check the part number on newly replaced oil filter making sure it’s not the PE01-14-302B found only from factory, or it means the dealer didn’t even change the oil filter. If that’s the case, I’d report the whole incident to Mazda North American Operations and switch to another Mazda dealer for future maintenance.
That was my initial feeling about this dealership, I would redflag it, find some one else. In my mind, it's too damn corny to not change the oil with the filter, especially the initial oil change on a brand new engine.

Thanks for the advice guys. I just called them and the service manager said that their first complimentary free service, which they give all new/leased vehicles, always includes an oil change and oil filter. I inquired why the oil fluids were not on the invoice and they said it was part of the complimentary service line item (but the oil filter isn't??). Any Mazda techs or employees know anything about this?

I'll have the check the car later today. Hopefully I can tell if the oil has been changed through the dipstick. This is the invoice.. I blotted out the dealer specific stuff to give them the benefit of the doubt at this point.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3eVqk20WI8PMKNqX2
Sounds strictly like a dealer thing like most free oil changes are. Funny they don't have number of quarts listed. Yes, do check the condition of the oil on the dipstick. Also inquire as to what brand oil they used, hopefully it's not some cheap blend...

Last edited:
Back