Recommended Mazda CX-5 battery?

lfjt

:
CX-5 Touring
Looking for a solid battery in the $100 region. I know nothing about cars or the best place to find batteries other than AutoZone and Walmart, nor do I know anything about the best brands.

Costco. Well under $100. Fits like a glove. You have to install it yourself, though.

Costco. Well under $100. Fits like a glove. You have to install it yourself, though.

great advice, thank you. Installing a battery is definitely one of the easier things you can do to your car.

if your mileage is up there, I recommend inspecting your alternator to make sure that the copper wires still look nice and fresh. if your alternator is weak, you're going to strain your battery especially if you use the electronics in your car.

Batteries PLUS. Top rated DEKA made. ~ $100 with the 20% discount. They will install if you ask them. Ed

Just so you know what you're looking for... it takes a Group 35. There's lots of great options and Costco is perfect. I also found Exide for $80-90 at Home Depot without needing a membership! If you use Advance Auto there's tons of coupons, order online and pickup in store using a coupon so the price is right. Don't forget to retrain your auto power windows after the install.

C'mon guys, the Original Poster (OP) already said "I know nothing about cars" and it's their first post on this board, so DIY solutions are not in their wheelhouse. OP, it's best to go where they will install it for you AND test your charging system. Batteries Plus is good for that and they know what they are doing since automotive batteries are a huge part of their business. If you're shopping around, besides price and the battery's specs (size [Group 35] and cold cranking amps [the higher this number, the better your battery will be able to withstand extreme heat and cold temps]), the warranty is most important. Just be sure you know what you're buying and save your receipt! Good luck.

In all actuality most automotive batteries are about the same. The largest manufacturer of lead acid batteries is Johnson controls Inc. My wife works them, the battery division no less. They have three battery groups, OEM, Aftermarket and hybrid technologies.

Here is the list of brands that Johnson Controls Manufactures:

Interstate
Diehard
Duralast
Kirkland
EverStartt
ProStart
Optima
AutoCraft
AdvanceAuto batteries
Blains farm and fleet
Western Auto
Varta
Bosch
Champion
LTH
LTD

OEM Supplier to these Car Companies as well:
Ford Motor company, Diamler Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Isuzu

So if you look at two popular batteries, Interstate Mega-tron plus Group 35 and the everstart Maxx group 35 they have the exact same specs, 640 cold cranking amps. They are the exact same battery on the inside, trust me, I've been to the plants and have seen them being made. The difference is one goes into a black box and the other goes inside a white box. The difference is the warranties. Everstart maxx has a 3 year free replacement and then 2 years prorated after that for a total of 5 years. Interstate has a 6 year total warranty with the first 2.5 years being a full replacement, 45% off msrp for the next 1.5 years, 25% off in year five and 10% off new battery for year 6.

Bottom, line get what ever battery you want that is in your market and at the price you want.

To a person who does not know much about cars, I would recommend Costco also.

In all actuality most automotive batteries are about the same. The largest manufacturer of lead acid batteries is Johnson controls Inc. My wife works them, the battery division no less. They have three battery groups, OEM, Aftermarket and hybrid technologies.

Here is the list of brands that Johnson Controls Manufactures:

Interstate
Diehard
Duralast
Kirkland
EverStartt
ProStart
Optima
AutoCraft
AdvanceAuto batteries
Blains farm and fleet
Western Auto
Varta
Bosch
Champion
LTH
LTD

OEM Supplier to these Car Companies as well:
Ford Motor company, Diamler Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Isuzu

So if you look at two popular batteries, Interstate Mega-tron plus Group 35 and the everstart Maxx group 35 they have the exact same specs, 640 cold cranking amps. They are the exact same battery on the inside, trust me, I've been to the plants and have seen them being made. The difference is one goes into a black box and the other goes inside a white box. The difference is the warranties. Everstart maxx has a 3 year free replacement and then 2 years prorated after that for a total of 5 years. Interstate has a 6 year total warranty with the first 2.5 years being a full replacement, 45% off msrp for the next 1.5 years, 25% off in year five and 10% off new battery for year 6.

Bottom, line get what ever battery you want that is in your market and at the price you want.

Great info. Thanks!

To a person who does not know much about cars, I would recommend Costco also.

Right, but when I bought my replacement 35 battery for my 2014 a few months back, I was surprised to learn that Costco doesn't install them... they just do tires.
It was VERY easy to install, though, and I would say that even a person who does not know much about cars can toss it in inside of 20 minutes.

What is the Cold Cranking Amps and Reserve Capacity of the Original for my 2015 CX-5 Touring?? I want to make sure the new battery is at least as good, preferably a little stronger than OEM.

Many batteries are the same manufacturer, but do go with one with a 3 year warranty w/ full replacement. Many cheaper batteries are only 2 year and then pro-rated after that. The 3 year batteries will have tested better in the factory and less likely to strand you at some point.

Last time I was there, Wal-Mart installed my battery for me. It was a free service, and why not? I honestly didn't care, I just got the highest CCA rated battery that would fit my car, and which also cost the least if there was another with equal CCA, unless it for some reason visually disgusted me (looked "cheap" somehow).

Back