Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!

Thread: Recommended Mazda CX-5 battery?

Registered Member

CX-5 Touring

Recommended Mazda CX-5 battery?

Looking for a solid battery in the $100 region. I know nothing about cars or the best place to find batteries other than AutoZone and Walmart, nor do I know anything about the best brands.

Registered Member

Mazda CX5

Costco. Well under $100. Fits like a glove. You have to install it yourself, though.

BMW & Mazda Enthusiast GJ-Molestor's Avatar

2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6

Quote Originally Posted by onerpm View Post
    Costco. Well under $100. Fits like a glove. You have to install it yourself, though.
    great advice, thank you. Installing a battery is definitely one of the easier things you can do to your car.

if your mileage is up there, I recommend inspecting your alternator to make sure that the copper wires still look nice and fresh. if your alternator is weak, you're going to strain your battery especially if you use the electronics in your car.

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

Batteries PLUS. Top rated DEKA made. ~ $100 with the 20% discount. They will install if you ask them. Ed

Registered Member

2014 Mazda 6 GT with MRCC

Just so you know what you're looking for... it takes a Group 35. There's lots of great options and Costco is perfect. I also found Exide for $80-90 at Home Depot without needing a membership! If you use Advance Auto there's tons of coupons, order online and pickup in store using a coupon so the price is right. Don't forget to retrain your auto power windows after the install.

2014 Mazda6 Grand Touring with MRCC - Soul Red with Almond Interior

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

I have got at Costco, an Interstate for $72.

Registered Member

2014 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

C'mon guys, the Original Poster (OP) already said "I know nothing about cars" and it's their first post on this board, so DIY solutions are not in their wheelhouse. OP, it's best to go where they will install it for you AND test your charging system. Batteries Plus is good for that and they know what they are doing since automotive batteries are a huge part of their business. If you're shopping around, besides price and the battery's specs (size [Group 35] and cold cranking amps [the higher this number, the better your battery will be able to withstand extreme heat and cold temps]), the warranty is most important. Just be sure you know what you're buying and save your receipt! Good luck.

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech & i-Activesense

In all actuality most automotive batteries are about the same. The largest manufacturer of lead acid batteries is Johnson controls Inc. My wife works them, the battery division no less. They have three battery groups, OEM, Aftermarket and hybrid technologies.

Here is the list of brands that Johnson Controls Manufactures:

Interstate
    Diehard
    Duralast
    Kirkland
    EverStartt
    ProStart
    Optima
    AutoCraft
    AdvanceAuto batteries
    Blains farm and fleet
    Western Auto
    Varta
    Bosch
    Champion
    LTH
    LTD

OEM Supplier to these Car Companies as well:
    Ford Motor company, Diamler Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Isuzu

So if you look at two popular batteries, Interstate Mega-tron plus Group 35 and the everstart Maxx group 35 they have the exact same specs, 640 cold cranking amps. They are the exact same battery on the inside, trust me, I've been to the plants and have seen them being made. The difference is one goes into a black box and the other goes inside a white box. The difference is the warranties. Everstart maxx has a 3 year free replacement and then 2 years prorated after that for a total of 5 years. Interstate has a 6 year total warranty with the first 2.5 years being a full replacement, 45% off msrp for the next 1.5 years, 25% off in year five and 10% off new battery for year 6.

Bottom, line get what ever battery you want that is in your market and at the price you want.
    Just Giver!!!

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback

To a person who does not know much about cars, I would recommend Costco also.
    2016 Mazda6 iGT + Tech Pkg
    ....Sonic Silver Mica / Parchment
    2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
    ....Soul Red Metallic / Almond

Registered Member

CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by Ride92 View Post
    In all actuality most automotive batteries are about the same. The largest manufacturer of lead acid batteries is Johnson controls Inc. My wife works them, the battery division no less. They have three battery groups, OEM, Aftermarket and hybrid technologies.

Here is the list of brands that Johnson Controls Manufactures:

Interstate
    Diehard
    Duralast
    Kirkland
    EverStartt
    ProStart
    Optima
    AutoCraft
    AdvanceAuto batteries
    Blains farm and fleet
    Western Auto
    Varta
    Bosch
    Champion
    LTH
    LTD

OEM Supplier to these Car Companies as well:
    Ford Motor company, Diamler Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Isuzu

So if you look at two popular batteries, Interstate Mega-tron plus Group 35 and the everstart Maxx group 35 they have the exact same specs, 640 cold cranking amps. They are the exact same battery on the inside, trust me, I've been to the plants and have seen them being made. The difference is one goes into a black box and the other goes inside a white box. The difference is the warranties. Everstart maxx has a 3 year free replacement and then 2 years prorated after that for a total of 5 years. Interstate has a 6 year total warranty with the first 2.5 years being a full replacement, 45% off msrp for the next 1.5 years, 25% off in year five and 10% off new battery for year 6.

Bottom, line get what ever battery you want that is in your market and at the price you want.
    Great info. Thanks!

Registered Member

Mazda CX5

Quote Originally Posted by ceric View Post
    To a person who does not know much about cars, I would recommend Costco also.
    Right, but when I bought my replacement 35 battery for my 2014 a few months back, I was surprised to learn that Costco doesn't install them... they just do tires.
    It was VERY easy to install, though, and I would say that even a person who does not know much about cars can toss it in inside of 20 minutes.