How Long Has It Been?

After the last snowstorm, I got a hit on my left rear by a hit and run driver backing out of a spot. Scraped bumper (and the reflectors), rear hatch and rear fender.

Insurance adjuster estimated damage at $1700+

Having just bought my new car, this subject definitely crosses my mind. A few thoughts/observations, in no particular order:

Where to park: The first spot I try for is the spot right next to a handicapped space. 95% of the time, no-one is in the handicap spot, plus the handicap space is huge,
which means there's always lots of space next to it, even if there is a car there. I try to cheat a bit towards the edge of the handicap space, leaving lots of room on the other side.
If that's not available, I try to grab a spot at the end of a row, again, cheating to the outside edge.
Parking a mile away from the store door doesn't work. It attracts attention. You might as well hang a sign over your car that says "I'm new. Come and scratch me",
and there's always some idiot that thinks it's cool to go out and purposely scratch your new car.
Cars to avoid parking next to: Pick-up trucks. Self explanatory.
2 door larger cars, like older Camaros/Firebirds. The doors are so long, they have to be opened wide for the driver to get out. That's a dent waiting to happen.
Old clunkers. People who drive them don't give a crap about their cars, or yours. (I should know. I have a 15 year old Pathfinder that I don't care where I park it.)
With my new car, I actually try and park next to other new cars. Their owners are as scared about scratching their cars as you are.
I also try to avoid SUV's with car seats in the back, although that describes half the cars in a parking lot.
When mom comes back to her car with the kids, that back door flies open, and bounces off your car about ten times while the kids climb in, and the mom tries to buckle them in.
The kids or the mom don't care.
Lastly, most of the dings on my cars have happened when others have driven them, like my wife or my grown kids.
My kids don't care because it's not their car, and my wife doesn't understand what the fuss is all about. "It's just a car...." Arrggh.

Yep, you pretty much nailed it! Funny, how people think alike. Taking away as many direct and convenient access paths to your vehicle is the key, I think. I use handicap parking as a buffer zone as well. Works nicely most of the time like you say. And, those end slots do indeed work nicely too, as long as they are not next to congesting pedestrian walkways on the other side.

If none of that is available, I take my changes out in the boondocks section of the parking lot where nobody else parks. I then go cloud connected to my on-board cameras and check-in every once in a while to see who is trolling the area. Having the cams with live viewing is nice. I've actually witnessed suspicious behavior through my cell phone's connection to the cams in the vicinity of where I had parked once that caused me to go out and relocate my vehicle to a safer area. So, the cams may have paid for themselves that day, I don't know.

I do know that when I came around the corner heading back to my vehicle, those suspicious looking people scattered rather quickly. I don't know if my vehicle was the target or another vehicle nearby - but they immediately left the area. Something was up that day. I relocated, went back into the restaurant to have dinner with family - but kept a close eye on the live action around the vehicle.

Purchase Date: Nov 2017
Battle Damage (Type/Kind): Windshield scratched
Mileage: 2500 KM

We have been getting lot of snow and freezing temps lately. On Christmas day and boxing day had to scrape ice off windshield and car and then noticed 3 deep scratch marks on front windshield. 2 are fairly light and 1 in center off windshield is fairly deep. No idea how I got them, if it was from scraping ice or road debris hitting windshield. Cant believe within a month windshield is already damaged. I so mad when I saw it and my OCD makes me focus right on it when I am driving. Wife was like not big deal you can barely see it. Will take it to glass shop tomorrow to see if it required repair or replacement.

Really sorry to hear that news. If it is layered on snow, you can simply wipe down to the frost layer in direct contact with the glass and then use a solution of Water and Rubbing Alcohol (2/3 rubbing alcohol and 1/3 water in a spray bottle seems to work fine for people online). Just do not use Ethanol (ethyl alcohol) based rubbing alcohol as that won't be good for the other parts of your vehicle's exterior. Sometimes, the scraper itself can drive things embedded in the ice into the glass at an angle you might not see when you are scraping. Try wiping down to the lowest layer than spraying that with H2O/Formula 23-H (US).

Hope it can be repaired.

After the last snowstorm, I got a hit on my left rear by a hit and run driver backing out of a spot. Scraped bumper (and the reflectors), rear hatch and rear fender.

Insurance adjuster estimated damage at $1700+

Hit and runners simply suck. Probably driving without insurance anyway. So, if you don't have uninsured motorist coverage on your own policy, well there you go. All hit and runs should be Felony offenses punishable by a minimum of 3 years behind bars rock bottom time served. There is far too much hit and run taking place these days.

Purchase 7/2017
Miles 6,000

Right at the 6 month mark, wife was rear ended. Everyone is safe and unhurt.
Was hit by high school kid, his 2nd accident.

Hope it looks good after repairs. $2,200 damage.

Attachments

• 20180224_145738.jpg
    20180224_145738.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 185
Purchase 7/2017
Miles 6,000

Right at the 6 month mark, wife was rear ended. Everyone is safe and unhurt.
Was hit by high school kid, his 2nd accident.

Hope it looks good after repairs. $2,200 damage.

So $2,200 just for new lower bumper cover? Looks like some slight damage on lift gate. Body shop will fix without replacement I imagine? I wouldn't want to see the cost for replacing the lift gate! It may become fairly common. Most crossovers are losing any sort of bumper that extends beyond lift gate.

So $2,200 just for new lower bumper cover? Looks like some slight damage on lift gate. Body shop will fix without replacement I imagine? I wouldn't want to see the cost for replacing the lift gate! It may become fairly common. Most crossovers are losing any sort of bumper that extends beyond lift gate.

Yes, Bumper cover chrome trim and minor damage to lift gate. Gate still functions normally. I was suprised at the total,
had guessed about 1.5k but I was wrong.

What happened to Cessna CJ4’s account?

Come to think of it...yeah he hasn't been around posting as of late. Maybe mod disabled his account/blocked it or worse banned him...he was one of those that got into a back and forth with 2 other posters that became personal with all the attacks/insults etc.

What happened to Cessna CJ4’s account?

I was wondering the same thing about fruitman, a.k.a. Mango.
Haven't run across anything from him recently either.
Maybe this has something to do with his beloved CR-V's starting to exhibit some serious issues.
I monitor the CRV forum, and two rather major issues have come up with the new 1.5t engines: Oil dilution and lack of cabin heat in cold weather.
There is a major recall in China, which I posted about last week.

Come to think of it...yeah he hasn't been around posting as of late. Maybe mod disabled his account/blocked it or worse banned him...he was one of those that got into a back and forth with 2 other posters that became personal with all the attacks/insults etc.

His name comes up as Guest 2018

I really hope he resurfaces with a different name or something. He was a great guy, very friendly and one of the most knowledgeable members on this forum. Weve had some great back and forth conversations about some very good topics on his threads. I cant imagine him ever getting angry at anyone unless they said something extremely stupid.

I was wondering the same thing about fruitman, a.k.a. Mango.
Haven't run across anything from him recently either.
Maybe this has something to do with his beloved CR-V's starting to exhibit some serious issues.
I monitor the CRV forum, and two rather major issues have come up with the new 1.5t engines: Oil dilution and lack of cabin heat in cold weather.
There is a major recall in China, which I posted about last week.

Lmfao! this post really made me laugh. Either our Mango friend got banned or he was forced to lay low after you brought the 1.5T issues to surface. I suspect he works for Honda.

Purchase Date: November 2017
Battle Damage: Door Paint in Parking lot
Mileage: 4950

I'm in the grocery store for 35 minutes. Come back to a new door ding.
I'll be getting it repaired.

I parked far up the lot away from the entrance with at least two open spaces on either side.
Some humans can't seem to control their car doors.

attachment.php
[/IMG]

I parked far up the lot away from the entrance with at least two open spaces on either side.

attachment.php
[/IMG]

Ouch! It doesn't help either that Mazda's paint is very thin...

attachment.php
[/IMG]

I swear these people need to have their cars torched for these crimes. These are our babies. It is like someone stabbed your baby the second you looked away.

That is why I only take my cx-9 out when I know I am going to places with decent parking. I always look for that one single spot between pillars or far away in the corner.

Other times I just drive my 95 accord that has battle damage all over

Ouch! It doesn't help either that Mazda's paint is very thin...

As you already know, this paint is hard to match. The dealer I bought from has access to a paint guy that has experience working with this color.

The photo is rather stark and the spot isn't as big as it looks. Still sucks tho.

On the positive side, at least that first ding is out of the way; I won't anticipate it anymore, Lol

I'll be parking FAR, FAR away from now on... even if it means an adjacent lot.

Latest posts

Back