Class 2 vs Class 3 tow hitch?

joh

:
Mazda CX-5 Granda Touring
Is there any reason I should get a Class 2 tow hitch over a Class 3? I would think that a Class 3 can do everything a Class 2 can, but just wanted to make sure there were no compromises. The only possible downsides of the Class 3 I could think of were additional cost and additional weight, both of which seem marginal.

Considering one for my 2016.5 CX-5 GT. A Class 2 will suffice for my needs (bike rack, cargo tray thingy, etc.), but in case I ever need to tow anything requiring a Calss 3, it might be nice to have.

I went with the class 3. You may never need the additional capacities of this hitch but if you do it's there.

One other advantage is the 2" receiver of the class 3 vs the 1.5" of the class 2.

Go Class 3 IMO. Higher tongue weight, more capacity, more versatile for accessories. There's very little down side.

Class 2 are pretty much worthless except a bike rack or something of that nature. The class 3's are much more robust. The only thing that is very annoying pulling a trailer is all the hitch noise. I pull my 7'x14' with mowing equipment regularly at about 2750 lbs and the hitch noise is obnoxious.

I would recommend the class 3 hitch. even if you are not towing anything several of the higher capacity hitch mount bike racks only come with a 2" receiver which the class 3 has.

Oem requires bumper cover cuts. I installed a draw-tite 2" receiver. Easier and cheaper. Plus I have 2" accessories

Back