Aftermarket CX-9 Exhaust tips?

How do these tips install exactly given that the stock tips are welded?

Do we install these on top of the OEM tips?

As I mentioned in my earlier posts, these install directly on top of the factory tips. You need to center them by hand tightening first then using a mini socket wrench to get it tighter.

Excellent call on these tips! Just installed them ... a much better look than the stock ones. A bit of a pain to line up and install, plus the screws/tabs just miss fitting over the entire back end of the existing tips so they get tightened to the back end of the chrome instead of the exhaust pipe itself, but they're on there tight so it should not be a problem.

Looks like these tips are out of stock on Amazon. :(
Any other sellers you can recommend?

I am sure Ebay has tons of options but you never know what quality one will get and if the fit will be good.

As I mentioned in my earlier posts, these install directly on top of the factory tips. You need to center them by hand tightening first then using a mini socket wrench to get it tighter.

Hey ereeku36, in your opinion, would 3.5" inlet tips work? I know you stated the stock tops are 3.3", but it is very difficult to find attractive tips at this size that are actually in-stock. I imagine 3.5" inlet tips might be a bit loose, but would the tightening clamps help, or is not having a snug fit a key issue?

Looks like these tips are out of stock on Amazon. :(
Any other sellers you can recommend?

I am sure Ebay has tons of options but you never know what quality one will get and if the fit will be good.

Hey Dan, I too was bummed out to see they were no longer in stock on Amazon, and the only one available on eBay was over $200 (for one tip). But this week I was refreshing the Amazon listing and this morning one exhaust tip came back in stock for $50, so I snapped it up. On eBay, this morning one came on sale for $70, so I got that too.

My point is, keep checking back on Amazon and eBay. After I had purchased the one tip off Amazon, I emailed the seller asking if more would be available soon. I'll let you know if/what their response is.

Dan, here is the response from the Amazon seller (Vulcan):

Thanks for your attention.
We're so sorry to reply late.
The Exhaust Tips will be instock after a few days.
Once again, thanks for your patience and consideration.

Keep an eye out for it!

Excellent call on these tips! Just installed them ... a much better look than the stock ones. A bit of a pain to line up and install, plus the screws/tabs just miss fitting over the entire back end of the existing tips so they get tightened to the back end of the chrome instead of the exhaust pipe itself, but they're on there tight so it should not be a problem.

I had to wedge my ratchet into the back but once you have them on secure enough you can rotate and center the tips. It's been a few months with no complaints here. I see more of our CX-9s on the road and just cringe at how dinky those stock tips look. It's got a turbo and should look the part as least in the rear!

Hey ereeku36, in your opinion, would 3.5" inlet tips work? I know you stated the stock tops are 3.3", but it is very difficult to find attractive tips at this size that are actually in-stock. I imagine 3.5" inlet tips might be a bit loose, but would the tightening clamps help, or is not having a snug fit a key issue?

What is your outlet size? I didn't want anything larger than 4" as it would not fit into our bumper's exhaust opening. Be careful so you don't get too large or long since there is limited space in the back of the OEM tips. The rear pipe is less than 3" for clamping.

Hey Dan, I too was bummed out to see they were no longer in stock on Amazon, and the only one available on eBay was over $200 (for one tip). But this week I was refreshing the Amazon listing and this morning one exhaust tip came back in stock for $50, so I snapped it up. On eBay, this morning one came on sale for $70, so I got that too.

My point is, keep checking back on Amazon and eBay. After I had purchased the one tip off Amazon, I emailed the seller asking if more would be available soon. I'll let you know if/what their response is.

Have you tried Jeeps forums? Those Vulcan tips are originally made for Wranglers.

hey @ereeku36 I messaged you privately. But in any case, if I buy them on Amazon, will you help install these for me? I also live in Queens, NY.

Thanks everyone for the input on this tread. I pickup the same tips on eBay (cheaper than amazon). I did not have prime account. Here they are:

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Btw, this is for each tip not a pair! So budget that price in.

But what a big difference! This is my wife's car and even she likes it. It did not make the car look rice or silly.

Here are some pics to give you an idea. One of them has only the left side installed to show the difference. Also the corona bottle was included to show scale:
https://ibb.co/cumY1n
https://ibb.co/c8aFE7
https://ibb.co/hhMNu7
https://ibb.co/jubNu7
https://ibb.co/jz0RMn
https://ibb.co/cNP8Z7

Last edited:
Any tips or tricks on installation? I know they just slide on and you screw them tight, but how about getting them lined up properly, any tools to make screwing them on easier, etc. They look awesome!! I've had mine for a few weeks, just haven't had the time to put them on yet.

Thanks for the post, especially the before/after shot!

Hi

I got a few private messages on this. So i will explain here assuming we have the same tip.

- You need an “open wrench” for the three bolts.
- You need some cushion or towel as you will go underneath the car. No jacking of the car is needed
- Put the new tip over the existing tip.
- Align the back of the new tip to be exactly on top of the back of the old tip
- Now you need to go underneath the car, look to ensure the old and new tips align up and start tightening the bolts evenly so they will align center
- When it is almost tight, align the tip centered ( there should be some play)so it is on center
Tighten it so it won’t move anymore

You are done.

It is really easy to do. Just do a Nike. Good luck :)

Last edited:
Thanks widdy88! I just installed them this past weekend, and it is straightforward. As widdy said, don't fully tighten until you have the tip positioned exactly where you want it (i.e. centered). They look great!!

Thanks widdy88! I just installed them this past weekend, and it is straightforward. As widdy said, don't fully tighten until you have the tip positioned exactly where you want it (i.e. centered). They look great!!

Great! Glad it all worked out. I think this is how it should have come as factory. The existing tips are too small and not in scale of the size of the cx9.

Not that the Vulcan tips look bad or anything, but I’m quite happy with the stock tips. All of that build up easily goes away with a little metal polish. Here’s how our 20k mile old tips currently look on our 2016 Sig...

e74651261f78ac710529f736bac549c1.jpg

Hi,
Thanks for the permissions. I am presently an owner of 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature, and face the same issues mentioned above with black exhaust pipes.

I have shortlisted an exhaust tip in ebay with 81 mm inlet and 114 mm outlet. Do you think I will face any issues with bolt on wrto the inlet and outlet dias?
Has anyone here gone with this big of an exhaust tip? Will it look out of place?

Thanks

Back