Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust tips

Registered Member

2016 CX-9

Thanks! Honestly, I think it gives it more of a zoom-zoom look compared to stock tips. First you'll need a mini socket wrench to get behind the existing welded on tips to tighten. I forget what size mm. Let me know if you need the exact size. It's a tight squeeze but workable. If you have it on a lift even better. Took me less than 30min to install both. Once you have it centered over the existing exhaust you can hand tighten to get it into position.

Registered Member

'16 CX-9 GT AWD Machine Gray

I take it this is purely cosmetic?

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-9 Touring Soul Red

Quote Originally Posted by ereeku36 View Post
    Thanks! Honestly, I think it gives it more of a zoom-zoom look compared to stock tips. First you'll need a mini socket wrench to get behind the existing welded on tips to tighten. I forget what size mm. Let me know if you need the exact size. It's a tight squeeze but workable. If you have it on a lift even better. Took me less than 30min to install both. Once you have it centered over the existing exhaust you can hand tighten to get it into position.
    Awesome, thanks! Plan on ordering next week.

Registered Member

2016 CX-9

Yes you are correct Bingoy, no reason to turn my ride into a rice rocket. I'll admit it's the only part that Mazda cheapened on. Stock tip's diameter does not fit the size of the rear proportions. It's likely similar parts bin as CX-5 and 6s tips.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-9 Touring Soul Red

Ordered these today!

Registered Member

2016 CX-9

Love to see these tips one your Red Touring.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX-9 Signature

How do these tips install exactly given that the stock tips are welded?

Do we install these on top of the OEM tips?

Registered Member

2016 CX-9

As I mentioned in my earlier posts, these install directly on top of the factory tips. You need to center them by hand tightening first then using a mini socket wrench to get it tighter.

Registered Member

Excellent call on these tips! Just installed them ... a much better look than the stock ones. A bit of a pain to line up and install, plus the screws/tabs just miss fitting over the entire back end of the existing tips so they get tightened to the back end of the chrome instead of the exhaust pipe itself, but they're on there tight so it should not be a problem.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Looks like these tips are out of stock on Amazon.
    Any other sellers you can recommend?

I am sure Ebay has tons of options but you never know what quality one will get and if the fit will be good.

2016 CX-5 GT, 2017 CX-9 GT

Quote Originally Posted by ereeku36 View Post
    As I mentioned in my earlier posts, these install directly on top of the factory tips. You need to center them by hand tightening first then using a mini socket wrench to get it tighter.
    Hey ereeku36, in your opinion, would 3.5" inlet tips work? I know you stated the stock tops are 3.3", but it is very difficult to find attractive tips at this size that are actually in-stock. I imagine 3.5" inlet tips might be a bit loose, but would the tightening clamps help, or is not having a snug fit a key issue?

Quote Originally Posted by danmm7 View Post
    Looks like these tips are out of stock on Amazon.
    Any other sellers you can recommend?

I am sure Ebay has tons of options but you never know what quality one will get and if the fit will be good.
    Hey Dan, I too was bummed out to see they were no longer in stock on Amazon, and the only one available on eBay was over $200 (for one tip). But this week I was refreshing the Amazon listing and this morning one exhaust tip came back in stock for $50, so I snapped it up. On eBay, this morning one came on sale for $70, so I got that too.

My point is, keep checking back on Amazon and eBay. After I had purchased the one tip off Amazon, I emailed the seller asking if more would be available soon. I'll let you know if/what their response is.

Dan, here is the response from the Amazon seller (Vulcan):

Thanks for your attention.
    We're so sorry to reply late.
    The Exhaust Tips will be instock after a few days.
    Once again, thanks for your patience and consideration.

Keep an eye out for it!

Registered Member

2016 CX-9

Quote Originally Posted by stixman6 View Post
    Excellent call on these tips! Just installed them ... a much better look than the stock ones. A bit of a pain to line up and install, plus the screws/tabs just miss fitting over the entire back end of the existing tips so they get tightened to the back end of the chrome instead of the exhaust pipe itself, but they're on there tight so it should not be a problem.
    I had to wedge my ratchet into the back but once you have them on secure enough you can rotate and center the tips. It's been a few months with no complaints here. I see more of our CX-9s on the road and just cringe at how dinky those stock tips look. It's got a turbo and should look the part as least in the rear!

Registered Member

2016 CX-9

Quote Originally Posted by SK77X View Post
    Hey ereeku36, in your opinion, would 3.5" inlet tips work? I know you stated the stock tops are 3.3", but it is very difficult to find attractive tips at this size that are actually in-stock. I imagine 3.5" inlet tips might be a bit loose, but would the tightening clamps help, or is not having a snug fit a key issue?
    What is your outlet size? I didn't want anything larger than 4" as it would not fit into our bumper's exhaust opening. Be careful so you don't get too large or long since there is limited space in the back of the OEM tips. The rear pipe is less than 3" for clamping.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast