Power liftgate won't open after unlock

I'm having the same intermittent problem. 2014.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring 2.5L. The problem happens more frequently in cold weather, especially when the car is not warmed up. How does one reset the control module for unlocking the liftgate? Did resetting the liftgate control module still help? Or did the problem come back? I carry a wheelchair in the trunk for a family member so it's a pain when it doesn't work at the worst time. Thank you for your response.

I'm having the same intermittent problem. 2014.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring 2.5L. The problem happens more frequently in cold weather, especially when the car is not warmed up. How does one reset the control module for unlocking the liftgate? Did resetting the liftgate control module still help? Or did the problem come back? I carry a wheelchair in the trunk for a family member so it's a pain when it doesn't work at the worst time. Thank you for your response.

Sounds like it might just need an adjustment or new lubricant. Moisture can work its way in there and freeze...

I had the same problem with my 2016.5 CX-5 GX (November 2016 build) and just got back from the dealer who today installed the G33M-62-310B under warranty. The problem surfaced intermittently about a couple of months ago, and then seemed to go away, then returned. North of Toronto, so cold - possibly a contributing factor. It really pissed me off when we had a mid-January Town e-waste event day and I had to load whole bunch of old TVs, CRT computer monitors, computer towers etc. into the front and back seats as the thing chose not to open that morning.

I was lucky that it wouldn't unlock in front of the service advisor last weekend when I brought it in. Initially it worked fine for her, though not for me at home before I headed to the dealership that morning. When she suggested just lubing it and that she "needed to see it" fail firsthand, I thought I was SOL. I tried it again, and luckily it would not actuate and I had her try too. For the assessment, the tech had to open it from the inside after lowering the rear seat.

I just hope that this part was the problem, having read this thread after searching on the installed part number on the zero dollar warranty invoice. Could be that I am not out of the woods yet. Other parts/items could be involved it seems. Time will tell.

Part of my reasoning for buying the very tail-end of the first gen ('13,'14,'15,'16,'16.5) was hoping that all the bugs had been worked out. Guess not.

Edit: The next morning (today) it would not open, maybe frozen from the dealer's free car wash and then sitting in my driveway overnight. (huh) It opened yesterday evening when I picked it up after work. Will check it thoroughly tonight as I didn't have enough time before work.

Last edited:
Just got my new 2019 CX9, The* lift-gate dash button* stopped working (just beeps 3 times).* However the key-fob and the gate buttons work fine.

Any ideas as to why ? (maybe some kind of safety issue)

Just got my new 2019 CX9, The* lift-gate dash button* stopped working (just beeps 3 times).* However the key-fob and the gate buttons work fine.

You may have to be in PARK for it to work.

In order for the tailgate dash button to work, first unlock all doors with the botton on the driver's door.

Back