"No Playable File Found" with iOS and '16 CX-5

:
2020 CX-5
While driving a rental car last week I listened to part of an audiobook I had synced to my iPhone in iTunes. The rental car had CarPlay (pretty slick--in a Chevy no less) which made the audiobook easy to find and play. When I got back home I plugged the iPhone into my '16 CX-5 and picked the iPhone from the audio sources menu. All I got was a message "No Playable File Found" or something similar. Does anyone know where the CX-5 is looking for files on the iPhone and how I can make it look in the folder where the iPhone stores audiobook files.

Thanks.

While driving a rental car last week I listened to part of an audiobook I had synced to my iPhone in iTunes. The rental car had CarPlay (pretty slick--in a Chevy no less) which made the audiobook easy to find and play. When I got back home I plugged the iPhone into my '16 CX-5 and picked the iPhone from the audio sources menu. All I got was a message "No Playable File Found" or something similar. Does anyone know where the CX-5 is looking for files on the iPhone and how I can make it look in the folder where the iPhone stores audiobook files.

Thanks.

download your music onto a USB. much easier and better quality sound without wasting your phone battery.

The file size on the phone is adequate for voice-only reproduction. As long as the phone is plugged into the USB port, the battery is charging, not discharging. I drive multiple vehicles and playing the book from a single device is much easier, since it will start where you left off irrespective of the vehicle used.

Does anyone have an answer as to why I received this error message?

I wonder if it has something to do with the same bug with playing via Spotify when plugged in.

I had to basically sync via iTunes a 'blank/silent media file' so that when I plugged it in it would detect local files, then I could navigate and play other files as well as Spotify while hard-connected versus Bluetooth.

You can just download a silent media mp3 online and sync it in iTunes...see if that allows you to do it.

The basic problem may be that Apple updates iOS a lot frequently than Mazda updates their audio software.

Still I know the audiobook is on the iPhone and I just can't figure out why the audio system says it can't find it. It's probably too much to hope now that Mazda will come up with a CarPlay update that will work on a now discontinued version of the CX-5, but my recent experience with CarPlay on a rental car suggests that would likely solve the problem.

I wonder if it has something to do with the same bug with playing via Spotify when plugged in.

I had to basically sync via iTunes a 'blank/silent media file' so that when I plugged it in it would detect local files, then I could navigate and play other files as well as Spotify while hard-connected versus Bluetooth.

You can just download a silent media mp3 online and sync it in iTunes...see if that allows you to do it.

This drove me nuts for so long. You HAVE to have some track(s) physically on the phone. Just import a couple or download one of your iTunes purchases (I use a podcast or two). After that, all of the streaming services will run just fine.

Back