battery dead ?

reddogy

:
Mazda cx 5, 2.2, AT, 175 hp
Hy everyone !
I`m new here and hopefully will found an advice for my issue.
My car does not want to start anymore. I give from a car power using a power cord and was able just to move the stick from P in N.
I have a friend that works in a Mazda garage , but at this moment is far away in Japan to learn more about Mazda.
But I contacted with skype and hi said that is possible with jump starting to kill my start&stop battery.. To resolve the issue must to recharge the battery , but to be careful with the connection of the cables.
For the +, the connection will be directly on the + of the battery , but for the - , must be not in a - of battery, in another part.He explain me , but I don`t understand where to locate the - for recharging the battery.
So , anyone have a battery dead and was able to recharge properly ?

If you're only connecting a battery charger there is no reason that you can't connect the charger's clips directly to the battery posts. Observe the correct polarity and with the charger off go ahead and make the connections. Then power on the charger.

Hy everyone !
I`m new here and hopefully will found an advice for my issue.
My car does not want to start anymore. I give from a car power using a power cord and was able just to move the stick from P in N.
I have a friend that works in a Mazda garage , but at this moment is far away in Japan to learn more about Mazda.
But I contacted with skype and hi said that is possible with jump starting to kill my start&stop battery.. To resolve the issue must to recharge the battery , but to be careful with the connection of the cables.
For the +, the connection will be directly on the + of the battery , but for the - , must be not in a - of battery, in another part.He explain me , but I don`t understand where to locate the - for recharging the battery.
So , anyone have a battery dead and was able to recharge properly ?

Edit: Disregard, I had to reread your post OP, and had my stuff backwards. Doh! Madar is correct. Positive (+) goes on first, and then negative to the ground.

My portable jump starter instructions tell me to connect to both posts. Though typically in the past, I would connect the negative to a ground if jump starting off another car.

I don't know what exactly you're doing.

Always refer to your manual.

Last edited:
Always attach the positive clip first, the (-) can go anywhere there is a ground visible, like following the cable from the negative post to where it's attached to the the fender and putting your cable on there. It' a safety thing and reduces chance of a spark. Your battery contains hydrogen gas and could explode if the proper precautions aren't taken. That's why your friend is telling you to not attach the (-) clip directly to the battery.

Always attach the positive clip first, the (-) can go anywhere there is a ground visible, like following the cable from the negative post to where it's attached to the the fender and putting your cable on there. It' a safety thing and reduces chance of a spark. Your battery contains hydrogen gas and could explode if the proper precautions aren't taken. That's why your friend is telling you to not attach the (-) clip directly to the battery.

Yeah, this is true.

And you are right, my post was backwards on which to attach first, D'oh! Thank you for the proper information. I will edit mine.

The op was speaking of connecting up a battery charger and not a portable jump starting device.

When connecting up a battery charger there won't be a spark generated making the connections to the battery if the charger is off. Not so when connecting another battery or a jump starting device.

An example. If the battery is out of the vehicle how would you make the connection to ground for a charger? You can't and you'd have to connect the charger directly to the battery posts.

The op was speaking of connecting up a battery charger and not a portable jump starting device.

When connecting up a battery charger there won't be a spark generated making the connections to the battery if the charger is off. Not so when connecting another battery or a jump starting device.

An example. If the battery is out of the vehicle how would you make the connection to ground for a charger? You can't and you'd have to connect the charger directly to the battery posts.
Some charger instructions will tell you to use an extension cable for the negative post for the express purpose of not having to attach directly to both posts. They obviously still think there's a potential for a spark, and there always is.

Last edited:
1024px-Castelul.jpg

Some charger instructions will tell you to use an extension cable for the negative post for the express purpose of not having to attach directly to both posts. They obviously still think there's a potential for a spark, and there always is.

I suppose that's true. Safety first!

I witnessed first hand one of these battery explosions, it's not pretty. Not only do you get the bang but you also get battery acid all over the victim.

Back