New P5 ower here! Also MAP sensor issue?

devinw

:
02 Protoge5
Hi ya'll! Ford Focus ST driver here who just picked up a 02 P5 wagon for my wife. Always liked the look of these cars and picked up a really clean black 5 speed wagon with 150k yesterday (crappy pic from the CL ad is all I have below for now :D).

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone has as words of wisdom of things I should know about these cars. I'm quite handy with cars and work as a Mechanical Engineer so I "get it" when it comes to gearhead stuff. This P5 seems all good to go with the exception of a code for what I'm told is the MAP sensor. Dude said he replaced it with a NAPA one but the code still shows. He bought a new car and just wanted to sell so I don't think he was trying to pull one over on me. The car runs fine and the only manifestation that I can see of the problem is that sometimes the idle gets lumpy at a stop light.

Anyway, ANY words of wisdom or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks and it's good to be here!

37903266431_75c35b4182_z.jpg

Well, what a friendly bunch around here! (dunno)

Yesterday I pulled the codes and its P0106 (Map Sensor) and P0171 (Lean Mixture). I think they may be related. The MAP sensor was replaced but with one from NAPA, so either that sensor is messed up (or the wiring to it), or (what i think is more likely) a Vacuum leak somewhere after the MAF/airbox.

I have already ordered and am waiting on the highly suspect Air Intake tube. Mine is pretty worn and cracked looking. Hard to tell if it's leaking but it doesn't look good.

Congrats on the P5! Hopefully you got a bad MAP and the new one will work like a charm. Maybe check out that 02 sensor too. It may mess with your AFR if it's all clogged up or toasted.

These are pretty great cars imo. I used beat on mine at the track, canyons etc, with no problems and I'm still on the original trans and motor. No major repairs.
The idle issues can be annoying for sure. But I have yet to find a solid solution.
Things you can try that will improve the issue, but not cure it completely.

1. Clean the IAC as much as you can. The tip will have a ton of carbon I'm sure. I used toothbrush to clean mine.
2. Can the EGR valve. Just cleaned mine and does help but again not a cure. People say it's a b**** to remove but I dunno, I removed it easily.
3. Seafoam. Through the brake booster and some in the gas. Search for videos. There's a bunch.
4. Seafoam spray the intake. This is not the regular seafoam. This one has a tube that attaches to the intake. Spray into intake with car running, turn off car after spraying, let sit for 10 min, then go drive around. I just did this and seems to have smoothed out things a bit.

The MAP sensor I'm not sure about. But not impossible to have purchased a bad one. I bought coil packs and one was bad.

Hopefully some more people will have some other ideas to help out as well since I'm sure im probably forgetting something. Good luck!

Thanks guys. Previous owner did just replace both O2 sensors so I think we are good there. My plan right now:

-Replace intake tube
-Clean EGR valve and replace gasket
-Replace plugs, coils, and wires
-Seafoam

Added now:
-Clean IAC

It's an EGR boost sensor for our car...
Not a MAP or a MAF...

P0106...

Screenshot_2017-10-26-13-36-50.png

Screenshot_2017-10-26-13-23-11.png

It's an EGR boost sensor for our car...
Not a MAP or a MAF...

P0106...

Oh damn OK, I had just looked up the generic p0106 code. Didn't realize it was different for the P5. That is very helpful. SO it seems my attention toward the EGR valve might be well placed.

I imagine that the MAP sensor on a P5 is more for monitoring EGR function than it is for measuring manifold vacuum like they do on a speed density engine, hence the name.

I'm sticking to my original story...

Our cars simply Do Not have a MAP sensor...

We have an EGR boost sensor...

(I have been drinking...)

Last edited:
I'm sticking to my original story...

Our cars simply Do Not have a MAP sensor...

We have an EGR boost sensor...

FWIW, It seems Mazda calls the same thing EGR Boost and M.A.P. interchangeably. Also, thanks for those manual pages!!

24101354328_36b39084c5_z.jpg

A lot of times a code reader will change the wording or name of the part involved with a code.

Sometimes it will give a code that our car doesn't have... You have to cross reference with the service manual to find the matching code for our car to find out how to deal with it.

I suppose a Mazda code reader from 2003 would always match our service manual.

PS. You don't need to use the breakout box... You can probe the the wires right at the ECU.
(the breakout box just makes probing easier)

I think it's possible that both your codes are caused by your cracked intake tube.

Install your new one, rub your codes and see if they come back.
(your car will run like crap for a bit while the ECU adjusts)

If your "MAP" sensor one comes back, it may be the solenoid not the sensor. (your sensor is new...)

Do the ignition key thing and see if you get code P1487.

Screenshot_2017-10-27-04-12-11.png

Screenshot_2017-10-27-04-17-17.png

Last edited:
If my car ever throws a P0106 code, I'm gonna do what the FSM says to do about it ...
Not a YouTube video...

obd-codes.com is not a youtube video and I have dealt with this code. devinw is correct. Same part number for both sensors up there.

MAF thread: Yes, the Protege has a MAF sensor.
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123847349-Is-the-MSP-MAF-sensor-different&highlight=

An old post:
Green is VTCS, white is VICS.
VTCS = Variable Tumble Control System. VICS = Variable Interial Charging System
The VICS turns on at 5250 rpms, and VTCS is for cold starts.

See the green and white connectors right below the red strut tower bar? Kinda center-passenger side?
cache.php

The white one is the solenoid that controls the secondary intake shutter valve. It's also called an EGR vacuum solenoid. The green one is the exact same solenoid, but it controls something else. Same part tho, if you're in the junkyard searching around either one will work.
wink.gif

If you want a new one, they're semi cheap and you can replace it yourself in 5 min with no tools.
http://www.carid.com/dorman/egr-vac...oyJdBobXXLmwh0aTBNcvLgEUvwIq8aBSTwaAlhk8P8HAQ

Before anyone jumps down my throat to correct me. I'm not saying that's the EGR solenoid, because it is not. I'm saying that it's the exact same part number.

Last edited:
obd-codes.com is not a youtube video and I have dealt with this code. devinw is correct. Same part number for both...

OK... I should have said "generic code description"

The FSM describes exactly what to do with a code for our specific engine, but there's plenty of times when the part is called something else at the parts store or with the code reader calling it something else.

I'm sure all of our vacuum solenoids are the same.. VTCS, VICS and probably the EGR boost sensor solenoid. The only difference being the bracket that holds it in place and where to connect the vacuum lines.

I remember someone asking on the forum about some code that apparently our car doesn't have.... something about an "Intake Runner" ???

Turned out to be a VICS or VTSC solenoid.

If I ever did throw a P0106 I'd have no idea what to do or where to look for the MAP sensor without the FSM.

Last edited:
Back