CR CX-9 Reliability Nosedive

Same here, not an issue to speak of (yet) but I'm only at 1000 miles and counting. One of the reasons I intentionally waited for the third year run of the new model, hopefully, the "bugs" have been worked out already.

My 2015 Mazda 6 has almost 60k on it and has been running/driving beautifully. The new mazdas are great cars

My 2015 Mazda 6 has almost 60k on it and has been running/driving beautifully. The new mazdas are great cars

my cx9 v6 2011 had no noises after 30k+ miles. I sell it in June 2016, then purchase the new cx9 turbo. now 1 1/2 years later ha noises when I brake and in all speed bump like an old bad car. I will share an audio file later.

I've clocked 2,000 miles a month on my 2017 and no issues, other than the occasional rear camera blackout, which I am convinced is a connector issue in the tailgate. Happens once every 3 months, and disappears 15 min later. If its gets worse, I will deal with it.

Otherwise, I LOVE driving this vehicle. (hence the high miles). I drive my leather sofa around, shut out the noise of the world, jam the music, and zip around all the fools that can't drive. Very nice.

Not a single brake squeak or anything on mine.

I heard a brake squeak today. It was coming from a new 2017 Dodge Durango that pulled up along side of me at a traffic light. You could hear it from a block away - sounded horrible. I used to love the look of the old Durangos when they first came out many years ago. It was distinctive looking back then. Never bought one, though.

One of my first 'serious' mods on my 2018 Signature will be the brakes, however. I'm going to find a nice well balanced front/rear rotor/cal/pad system and DIY it. I have White Pearl paint. So, I think I'll go with a nice metallic blue color for the calipers to match the blue carbon fiber wrap I'm planning for the front hood bonnet (lip area only - not the entire hood) and side view mirror caps.

I've clocked 2,000 miles a month on my 2017 and no issues, other than the occasional rear camera blackout, which I am convinced is a connector issue in the tailgate. Happens once every 3 months, and disappears 15 min later. If its gets worse, I will deal with it.

Otherwise, I LOVE driving this vehicle. (hence the high miles). I drive my leather sofa around, shut out the noise of the world, jam the music, and zip around all the fools that can't drive. Very nice.

I would not classify that as having "no issues". Take a video of it next time it happens, and schedule an appointment under your warranty.

One of my first 'serious' mods on my 2018 Signature will be blue carbon fiber wrap I'm planning for the front hood bonnet (lip area only - not the entire hood) and side view mirror caps.
Just no. Sorry. (notcool)

I would not classify that as having "no issues". Take a video of it next time it happens, and schedule an appointment under your warranty.

That's why he said, "other than...".

My "18 hasn't experienced any such glitch. Infotainment perfect as well.

That's why he said, "other than...".

My "18 hasn't experienced any such glitch. Infotainment perfect as well.

"Other than my engine exploding, my car has been great."

"Other than poisoning my dog, my next door neighbor is a really nice guy."

"Other than making me violently ill, our dinner at that restaurant was wonderful."

Last edited:
So I was in a store today and opened up the CR issue in question. To my amazement CR's stupidity is worse than we've been discussing in this thread.

They show history for '15, '16, & '17. 2015 is obviously 100% a different vehicle and doesn't apply to the 2nd gen. It's only "red" mark (meaning well below average) was in vehicle electronics. All other categories were green.

Now under the 2016's, guess how many red marks? ZERO! All green ratings, even under vehicle electronics. Except where it then some how states under predicted reliability for whole vehicle - that gets a red arrow down rating. No info in for 2017's.

So isn't this interesting. Under every category the CX-9 does well, but over all reliability it fails?
This is some crazy new system CR just made up.

Basically goes like this: (using school course as an example).

Test 1: B
Test 2: B+
Test 3: C+
Test 4: A-
Test 5: B-
Final exam: B

Final grade average: F

WTF!

So I was in a store today and opened up the CR issue in question. To my amazement CR's stupidity is worse than we've been discussing in this thread.

They show history for '15, '16, & '17. 2015 is obviously 100% a different vehicle and doesn't apply to the 2nd gen. It's only "red" mark (meaning well below average) was in vehicle electronics. All other categories were green.

Now under the 2016's, guess how many red marks? ZERO! All green ratings, even under vehicle electronics. Except where it then some how states under predicted reliability for whole vehicle - that gets a red arrow down rating. No info in for 2017's.

So isn't this interesting. Under every category the CX-9 does well, but over all reliability it fails?
This is some crazy new system CR just made up.

Basically goes like this: (using school course as an example).

Test 1: B
Test 2: B+
Test 3: C+
Test 4: A-
Test 5: B-
Final exam: B

Final grade average: F

WTF!

On a whim, I jumped on the website, and you are misstating or misremembering the ratings.

The scores were all 5/5 except for...

It got 4/5 for engine minor and major, paint, body hardware, and power equipment.

It got 3/5 for brakes and body integrity.

It got 2/5 for in car electronics.

According to CR, the 1/5 overall is a ranking relative to vehicles of similar type, so it isn't that the CX9 is a disaster overall, it is just more trouble prone than its peers. Honestly, the areas they flagged are consistent with the big complaints on tis forum (in car electronics, squeaks/rattles, brakes).

CR rates the CX-9 #13 out of 17 similar mid sized SUV's. Predicted reliability is poor while customer satifaction is rated good at 4 out of 5.

I can't pay attention to most of it.

CR rates the new Toyota Rav4 3rd in all SUV models. I just left one of those for a 2018 Sig CX-9 because I grew to hate the RAV for many reasons.

Overall, the CX-9 is rated a "60" whereas the top rated Subaru SUV is an "83" out of 100.

Reliabilty is fact based but how it's computed is fuzzy math. To call the current CX-9 a "loser" in reliability because it has mostly infotainment issues is absolute nonsense as is rating current reliabilty poor because of a 3+ year old design model with Ford parts. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.)

CR has subjective opinions listed as fact. Seat comfort is a BS rating... It's like a one size fits all mentality. Different people like different seats. How the hell can you rate a seat when there's a million different asses sitting on it?

Here's what CR has to say about the new CX-9 if you're interested:

"Driving Matters" is the tagline Mazda uses to promote its CX-9 three-row family mover, casting it as the drivers choice among the soccer-mom mobile crowd. Turns out that this slogan is quite apt; the CX-9 is particularly agile, comfortable riding, and quiet among affordable midsized three-row SUVs. Long, sleek, and rakish, the CX-9 has a presence that contrasts with some rivals that come across as tall wagons in a "rugged" off-roader costume. Although we have some quibbles over accommodations, controls, and feature content, the CX-9 is a compelling alternative to the more popular players.

Mazdas flagship benefits from a recent redesign, losing 250 pounds compared to the previous model and offering only a turbocharged four-cylinder engine. Doing more with less is the Mazda mantra, forced from being a small company with a shoestring budget.

Making just 227 horsepower on regular fuel, the CX-9 is eclipsed on paper by V6-powered rivals like the 280-hp Honda Pilot, 290-hp Kia Sorento, and 270-hp Toyota Highlander. But dont let that spec-sheet comparison fool you. With a whopping 310 lb.-ft. of torque, about 50 lb.-ft. more than its peers, the CX-9 feels fleet and responsive. A welcome swell of thrust comes early on, effortlessly propelling this sizable SUV in everyday driving. That said, the Mazda's turbo four cylinder lacks the slickness and polished sound of a V6. At 22 mpg overall, fuel economy is one better than most rivals.

Most midsized three-row SUVs feel rather mundane to drive. By contrast, the CX-9 is an inspired revelation, feeling alert and hunkered-down through the corners. As such, it drives more like a German luxury SUV than the lumbering competition.

Ride comfort, a quality traditionally not associated with any Mazda, is commendable as well, absorbing bumps with aplomb. Shedding all that weight allowed Mazda to stuff the car with enough sound absorbing material to make it quiet inside, a marvel from a company known for building noisy cars.

Inside, the CX-9 looks more plush than the purposeful Pilot or Highlander rivals. Swanky top-trim Signature models have rich brown leather and chunks of real wood, but even our mid-trim Touring is nicely trimmed. However, the limited front seat adjustments and narrow cockpit compromise comfort. For instance, you can't adjust the bottom cushion angle without changing the height, lower-back support only adjusts for pressure (not height), and power adjustments are limited for the passenger seat--even on the most expensive Signature trim.

Cabin room falls behind the cavernous standards of the class; the Pilot and Highlander feel more like a minivan inside than the CX-9. While most competitors go for a relaxed fit, the Mazda's narrow cockpit comes in slim-fit cut.

The second-row seat is very roomy and slides fore-aft, but unlike most rivals, there is no option for second-row bucket seats. Third-row passengers better be kids, but teens can fit in a pinch. Some luxuries that are available on competitors, like a panoramic sunroof or ventilated front seats, are absent from the options list.

That rakish sloping roof line contributes to a sleek design but ultimately limits cargo volume and compromises visibility. A rear camera and blind spot monitoring are now standard.

The Mazda Connect infotainment system seems like its trying to emulate BMWs iDrive, complete with a console-mounted controller knob and screen, but the Mazda system is tedious and cumbersome. Plus, it lacks Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility, which would be welcome workarounds.

Updates for 2018 include standard forward-collision warning with low-speed automatic emergency braking. Top-level Grand Touring and Signature trim lines add adaptive cruise control, lane-keeping assist, and full-speed automatic braking.

All in all, the CX-9 provides a welcome alternative from the herd of similar three-row family SUVs. Its upscale feel and satisfying road manners are pluses, even if the car falls short on some details. The CX-9 shines brighter on the road than it does in a spec-chart comparison.

Driving Experience

Handling
Agility is a high point for the CX-9. It steers into corners in a resolute manner, conveying a sense of control and precision to the driver. The body keeps an even keel attitude, which is rare among three-row SUVs. Grand Touring and Signature trims come with 20-inch wheels and tires that give the crossover quicker responses than the 18-inch rolling stock found on lesser versions.
On the track, the CX-9 was stable and lively. It carved out corners more like a sports sedan than an SUV. It held onto its cornering line well and proved balanced by tightening its line before its well-tuned stability control kicked in.
The CX-9 posted a 50 mph speed through our avoidance maneuver and instilled decent confidence despite an initial onset of oversteer.
Powertrain
Dont let the mere 227 horsepower fool you. In everyday driving, the 2.5-liter four-cylinder turbo delivers a healthy swell of thrust that makes the car feel effortless. In fact, tromping on the gas pedal when merging produces a hint of torque steer, an ungracious tug of the steering wheel.
The sprint to 60 mph took just under 8 seconds, putting it in the hunt with its peers. We tested the Mazda on regular fuel; feeding the CX-9 premium fuel bumps the horsepower rating up to 250, but that extra power is produced at high engine rpm where few people actually drive. Our advice is to just fill up with regular and save the money. Youll never notice a difference.
The CX-9's easy-going manner is aided by the six-speed automatic transmission. That transmission may look outclassed next to the 2017 Highlander's eight-speed automatic and the Pilot's available nine-speed gearbox, but having all of that torque means the engine doesn't need to downshift as often.
We measured 22 mpg overall--one better than most of the competition. But this number isn't the sizable advantage one would expect given the smaller engine compared to larger-engined, six-cylinder rivals.
Ride comfort
Composed and relaxed best describe the CX-9s ride. The suspension does an admirable job of swallowing any type of pavement imperfection and keeps body motions to a minimum. Even with the 20-inch wheels and tires that come on high-end versions, theres only a slight compromise to comfort.
Noise
The Mazda CX-9 is very quiet, and in the ballpark of stalwarts like the Honda Pilot, Kia Sorento, and Toyota Highlander. Low road noise is atypical for Mazda, but the CX-9 is well hushed. On the downside, the turbocharged engine can sound a bit gravelly when pushed and is less refined than the V6s found among its peers.
Braking
There were no issues for the CX-9 when it came to our braking test, producing a solid performance. However, stopping distances were a bit on the long side. The brake pedal, on the other hand, had good feedback with a firm direct feel.
Off-road
The CX-9 is not meant for off-roading.
Towing
This Mazda is rated to tow 3,500 pounds, which is considerably less than the 5,000 pounds that several V6-powered direct competitors--Honda Pilot, Kia Sorento, and Toyota Highlander--can manage.
Headlights
In a rare move, Mazda made LED headlights standard on the CX-9. The lights are very bright, but only illuminate a modest distance, limiting a drivers ability to see and react to whatever is on the road ahead.
Inside The Cabin

Interior fit and finish
Expect a neatly trimmed cabin that lives up to standards for the class. Thick soft-touch material covers the top of the dashboard and upper door panels, while the rest is hard. Myriad chrome accents surround the vents and the shifter, and glossy piano black trim envelops some switches, livening up the dashboard. An exposed screw head in the visor mount is an unexpected letdown; almost every car (especially for $40,000) has them covered.
The Grand Touring model has a few more padded panels, including those alongside the center console. Opting for a top-trim Signature brings an even more swanky interior. That version has real wood trim surrounding the shifter, brown Nappa leather, and bigger padded and stitched panels adorning the dashboard.
Driving position
Don't expect lots of room to stretch out behind the CX-9's steering wheel; accommodations feel as cramped as flying discount-class coach. A high beltline makes the interior feel closed-in, especially compared to the wide-open expanses of a Honda Pilot.
The driving space is tightly hemmed off to the right; your knee might hit the side of the imposing center console. The swanky Grand Touring and Signature trim has a padded surface there, but all other versions have just hard plastic. On the left side, the foot rest is pushed far inboard and is a bit too close. Forget about being able to splay out your legs while driving.
Beyond that, there is good leg and headroom. Taller drivers wanted more telescope steering wheel adjustment range. No power wheel adjustment is available, another luxury-class feature that the CX-9 sacrifices compared to higher-end competitors.
Visibility
Like many modern SUVs, rear visibility suffers because of a stylish sloping roofline that adds sleekness but shrinks the rear-side and back windows. Other concessions to style include the high side belt line, which shrinks the height of the side windows, and the long hood. Windshield pillars are fairly thick, as are the rear corner roof pillars.
On the plus side, the side door mirrors are large, and a backup camera and blind-spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert are standard.
Seat comfort
The CX-9's front seats are well-padded and nicely shaped. Long distance commuters complained that bottom seat cushion support waned with trip time.
A common complaint revolved around power front seat adjustments which are limited in range. The driver's seat bottom cushion doesn't adjust for angle separate from height, an adjustment found in almost every other similarly-priced vehicle. As a result, the front of the seat feels too high, forming a pressure point under your legs. Raising the seat levels out the bottom cushion some, but it also puts your head close to the ceiling and reduces thigh support.
Beyond that, the number of adjustments is stingy, especially for an SUV that aspires to be a premium choice. The lumbar adjustment only adjusts for pressure, not for height. The only power adjustments for the passenger seat are fore/aft and backrest recline--no lumbar adjustment, no height adjustment. The base CX-9 Sport lacks a power driver's seat all together; it's included in an aptly named "Power Driver's Seat Package." All other trims have power front seats as detailed above. Driver's seat memory comes on Grand Touring and Signature trims. Mazda says the 2018 Touring model gets an additional tilt function for the driver's seat as well as a power passenger's seats with lumbar support.
Second-row seats garnered much fewer complaints. There is plenty of space for two adults. Upright posture and a tall bottom cushion supply plenty of thigh support, and headroom is generous. The seat is wide enough for a grown-up to sit in the middle for short trips, but a relatively tall center floor hump sucks up foot and legroom. The backrest reclines, and the seat itself can be slid back and forth, either to maximize legroom for second-row occupants or to make more legroom for those stuck back in the third row.
Consider the two-person third row as suitable for kids only. The bottom cushion is close to the floor, sending your knees up high. Taller adults won't have enough headroom. Knee and toe room is tight.
Access
Getting in and out is relatively easy, with chair-height seats. The front door is a touch shorter than some rivals, but the opening is still large. You need to step over a modest door sill. Getting into the second row is even simpler, with a long door, easy step-in, and plenty of space for your legs and feet. Little ducking is needed, front or rear.
Clambering into the third-row seat takes more effort. A release on the top of the second-row seatbacks both folds the seatback and releases the seat to slide forward. Sliding the heavy seat requires some effort, especially for the driver's side 2/3-split seat section. Doing this creates a flat floor path back to the third row, but typical of the class, it's fairly narrow.
Gauges
The brightly backlit gauges are easy enough to read. Unlike many competitors, the trip and fuel economy computer is rather limited; it can only show one line of information at a time. For instance, you can't see average fuel economy and range-until-empty at once. Also, theres no access to phone contacts through steering wheel controls and the instrument cluster.
A head-up display comes standard on the Grand Touring and Signature trims. Speed, navigation, speed limit, and blind-spot warning information seemingly floats above the hood on the road ahead of you.
Controls
The CX-9's controls could be better designed. To start, climate buttons and knobs are large and easy to read, but they're mounted low, tucked in the dashboard.
But using them is child's play compared to the infotainment system. The audio and navigation systems are controlled through a large knob on the console, surrounded by an array of buttons that interacts with a center dashboard screen. Most onscreen fonts are large and easy to read. While the screen also acts as a touch screen when the car is parked, it is locked out of use when the car is moving, even for very simple functions.
Plenty of car companies incorporate a controller knob for their infotainment system. But Mazda Connect falls short because it isn't intuitive to use. Icons across the bottom of the screen control various functions, but they aren't labeled except for the instant theyre chosen, and their function isn't immediately obvious. Simple adjustments that should be quick, like skipping audio tracks, take several steps; we really wish there were seek/skip hard keys. Some system logic just doesn't make sense, like when the system exits from the satellite radio station list after each change; that makes it hard to move on to the next station. You should go through filling the Favorites list initially to ease matters. Finally, the system can be slow to load or respond to changes.
Infotainment
All CX-9s come with the Mazda Connect infotainment system. The base Sport trim has a seven-inch screen; all other trims get an eight-inch screen.
High points
Easy-to-read screen with large fonts
Standard voice commands
All have navigation capability, just by adding the SD card map
Free updates for navigation maps for first three years
Low points
System logic can be cumbersome, requiring many steps for simple functions
Touch screen locked out when moving
No Apple CarPlay or Android Auto
System response can sometimes be slow
Navigation lacks live traffic rerouting capability
Poor satellite radio reception
Navigation
Every CX-9 comes with the needed hardware as standard. Owners can easily add navigation capability after purchase by buying the SD card map. The system works fine, but it doesn't stand out, good or bad. It has 3D graphics, information on which lane to choose, and graphics showing overhead road signs.
Voice commands
Standard voice commands can be used to tune radio frequencies, make phone calls, and change some settings. They can also send and receive text messages on supported phones.
Connectivity
There are two USB ports and one AUX port. Two SD card slots are under the front armrest. There are two USB charging-only ports in the second-row armrest. Bluetooth audio streaming is standard. E911 capability can notify emergency responders using a paired phone connection.
Apps
The system supports Aha, Pandora, and Stitcher internet radio.
Climate features
Even base models come with a three-zone automatic climate system. Higher trims add heated front and rear seats, and heated outside mirrors. The dash vents are positioned low which tend to cool your elbows and leave the cabin stuffy at face level. A heated steering wheel and heated second-row seats are newly available for 2018.
Cabin storage
Those riding up front have an open bin in front of the shifter to hold items such as a phone or sunglasses. The bin between the front seats is large and comes with a padded armrest. The map pockets in the door panels are also quite generous.
Cup holders
Front passengers get two cup holders near the shifter. Second-row-seaters make due with two cup holders nestled into the fold-down center armrest. Those stuck in the third row have cup holders built into the outboard elbow rests. All four doors have built-in bottle holders.
Lights and visors
While the visors do not slide on their mounting rods for side coverage, they do come with slide-out extenders to help block the sun.
Cargo area
A power liftgate is standard starting on the Touring trim. The liftgate height can be adjusted to personal preference.
The cargo area floor is flush with the sill, which helps with loading items. Just inside is a covered floor compartment that can hold items out of sight. Flip up the cover and the compartment can corral grocery bags.
With the third row up, the cargo area behind it can easily hold a few golf bags or a good amount of groceries and backpacks. Fold the third-row seats down and a larger hauling area opens up. When you're carrying kids but need more cargo room, part or all of the second-row 60/40 configured seat can be slid forward. Folding the second row along with the third will give you a great amount of storage room. The liftgate has a sharp slope to it, limiting tall items being placed in the hatch closing area.
Spare tire
All CX-9s come with a temporary spare tire.

CR rates the CX-9 #13 out of 17 similar mid sized SUV's. Predicted reliability is poor while customer satifaction is rated good at 4 out of 5.

I can't pay attention to most of it.

I thought the review was pretty fair. They point out that it is nicer to drive than most SUVs, just like it always has for 10 years now. The reason why the new model ranks so low is that there are too many compromises - everything else in the segment offers more utility. If you aren't buying an SUV for the driving experience, you aren't going to buy a CX9. Just about every review from the Non-Enthusiast press has said the same thing.

I thought the review was pretty fair. They point out that it is nicer to drive than most SUVs, just like it always has for 10 years now. The reason why the new model ranks so low is that there are too many compromises - everything else in the segment offers more utility. If you aren't buying an SUV for the driving experience, you aren't going to buy a CX9. Just about every review from the Non-Enthusiast press has said the same thing.

I'm only talking about CR ratings here.

I bought a CX-9 more because I test drove it several times thouroghly. I also read owner reviews.

Then I asked questions and listened to independent mechanics and Mazda service about reliability and maintainance costs. My personal experience with CU product ratings has been a s*** sandwich. I don't watch the local or national news either, LoL

On a whim, I jumped on the website, and you are misstating or misremembering the ratings.

The scores were all 5/5 except for...

It got 4/5 for engine minor and major, paint, body hardware, and power equipment.

It got 3/5 for brakes and body integrity.

It got 2/5 for in car electronics.

According to CR, the 1/5 overall is a ranking relative to vehicles of similar type, so it isn't that the CX9 is a disaster overall, it is just more trouble prone than its peers. Honestly, the areas they flagged are consistent with the big complaints on tis forum (in car electronics, squeaks/rattles, brakes).

I'm still not buying the methodology of the rankings.
The category rankings aren't relative to competitors but a final ranking is? You can't have a 4/5 average across the board and then give it a 1/5 overall. That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

The problem areas, mostly found on first year units, are relatively minor compared to what I've read about many of the competitors who actually have serious drivetrain problems. Now their predicted reliability is supposed to be for 2018 models going forward which have these issues addressed.

I researched extensively for over a year before buying. One of the reasons I went with the CX-9 was because the least amount of problems we're showing up. Way more are reported by Highlander ("the reliability king") owners. Spent much time on ToyotaNation.

Until they give proper weighting to different reliability issues, the overall score is misleading. Lots of 2016 cx-9 had infotainment issues. Probably not quite as many pilots had major tranmission failures. The mazda issues are relatively small, and wont leave you on the side of the highway. Which cant be said for my moms 2014 Santa Fe. Catastrophic engine failure on the side of the highway. Kia and Hyundai vehicles recalled a month after it happened. Warranty service took 3 months, given the run around. Id never touch a Hyundai or Kia strictly because of that. You dont want to have to deal with them.
On the utility front- if you call the cx-9 lacking in utility, you have to say the same for the Highlander. Santa Fe, Acadia, and consumer reports favorite child the sorento.
Comparing cargo capacity using VDA method- with 5 seats up. Cx9-810 liters, sorento- 605 liters. With 7 seats up , cx9- 230 litres, sorento - 142 litres. Decrying the cx9 for its lack of utility vs the sorento is ridiculous. I thoroughly cross shopped both. The cx9 feels bigger, with More useable space, especially behind the 3rd row. Apparently their are multiple ways of measuring cargo volume, which can greatly vary the results. Apparently consumer reports looks at different numbers. All numbers are from Australia Kia And mazda websites.

I'm only talking about CR ratings here.

I bought a CX-9 more because I test drove it several times thouroghly. I also read owner reviews.

Then I asked questions and listened to independent mechanics and Mazda service about reliability and maintainance costs. My personal experience with CU product ratings has been a s*** sandwich. I don't watch the local or national news either, LoL

CR is useful mostly for the raw reliability data they have on products and brands. They still publish the frequency of repair data for major appliances and cars, which is good. They get in trouble, in my opinion, when they try to distill it all down to one number. I mainly use CR to augment online reviews and other sources because reliability data is really hard to find.

You have to remember that CR are not "enthusiasts" advocating for any of the technologies or products they review. CR reviews tend to focus on ease of use and value for money. I remember reading a review of stereo amplifiers they did a long time ago, and the start of the review basically said "all of these sound great, so sound quality isn't a differentiator." If you are an audiophile, this might drive you insane. If all you want is a decent stereo that is easy to use, it makes perfect sense.

Until they give proper weighting to different reliability issues, the overall score is misleading. Lots of 2016 cx-9 had infotainment issues. Probably not quite as many pilots had major tranmission failures. The mazda issues are relatively small, and wont leave you on the side of the highway. Which cant be said for my moms 2014 Santa Fe. Catastrophic engine failure on the side of the highway. Kia and Hyundai vehicles recalled a month after it happened. Warranty service took 3 months, given the run around. Id never touch a Hyundai or Kia strictly because of that. You dont want to have to deal with them.
On the utility front- if you call the cx-9 lacking in utility, you have to say the same for the Highlander. Santa Fe, Acadia, and consumer reports favorite child the sorento.
Comparing cargo capacity using VDA method- with 5 seats up. Cx9-810 liters, sorento- 605 liters. With 7 seats up , cx9- 230 litres, sorento - 142 litres. Decrying the cx9 for its lack of utility vs the sorento is ridiculous. I thoroughly cross shopped both. The cx9 feels bigger, with More useable space, especially behind the 3rd row. Apparently their are multiple ways of measuring cargo volume, which can greatly vary the results. Apparently consumer reports looks at different numbers. All numbers are from Australia Kia And mazda websites.

I get it. You don't like Kia/Hyundai. I hope you enjoy the CX9. I really like mine.

Back