CR CX-9 Reliability Nosedive

Don't you think if the CX-9 was that problematic, all the CX-9 owners on here would be reporting issues at a much greater frequency? Outside of infotainment bugs, particularly with early models, there's been only minor things.

Meanwhile Honda has had to replace a bunch of Pilot 9-speeds. I've been on ToyotaNation, and numerous 2017 Highlander owners have needed their new 8-speed transmissions replaced. Seems like a bigger issue than a buggy infotainment screen. Yet Highlander is rated at the top? Something doesn't add up.

Volume sales vs issues. Simple math. Fixable vs unfixables. Responsiveness and promptness in fixing issues as well.

Last edited:
I only own a third of a CX-9 (a CX-3) LOL, but my comment is about CR and similar ratings companies... I think there is money involved and the ratings are not un-biased. I can't tell you how many times I have read a report rating a certain vehicle very highly followed by multiple ads for said vehicle.
I put zero value in what those reports find. I have owned 56 vehicles in my life and contrary to all the "tests and ratings", I have had the most problems with the Toyotas I owned and the least the problems with the Jeeps.
Just my .02. :)

What do you mean? Consumer Reports has no advertising, and never has.

Definitely says a lot. They released a half baked product especially that bad infotainment

Toyota, touted as being "reliable" for years had problems and still has problems with its Entune (Out Of Tune) Infotainment System. Bluetooth problems being among the top of the list - often requiring a reset of the entire system. I've decided that I'm adding a Truck to my stable in early 2018. I think I've decided on the Tundra 1794. However, I keep seeing the GMC Sierra Denali rolling down the freeway and it makes me wonder - would I be more satisfied with it. In either case, I know the Infotainment System is either highly dated (in the case of the Tundra 1794) or bug ridden to the point of the entire screen simply going "Black" as reported by too many owners of GMC vehicles. GMC might not be high on the reliability list, but Toyota should be.

Meanwhile Honda has had to replace a bunch of Pilot 9-speeds. I've been on ToyotaNation, and numerous 2017 Highlander owners have needed their new 8-speed transmissions replaced.

Now, when I hear stuff like that it only confirms and validates the long period of research and waiting patiently I did before deciding on my 2017 CX-9 Signature. Both of those SUVs were on my initial eval list. The Pilot lasted 2 months longer in evaluation than the Highlander. Honestly, I think Toyota, should have taken the prior Highlander design and simply improved it - much like they always do with the Tundra. The Tundra for the most part is rock solid and has been for quite some time now.

I am sure it’s not just the infotainment man.

If not just the infotainment, then I'm not sure what it would be.

I'm so confident in my CX-9 that I now routinely take it into the canyons just to drive it through the turns among the tall redwood trees - doing things that I did not feel as comfortable doing in my old C5, driving those exact same turns. Essentially, these are posted as 25MPH and 15MPH turns. So, you get the idea. Yet, I'm seeing them at 40 and up and zero problems navigating them.

I can't believe I'm driving an SUV from "Mazda." Or, maybe I should start believing! Zero mechanical issues. I get back on the freeway headed home and suddenly I'm driving a "luxury SUV" again after driving like I just stole it through the forest.

Honestly, I don't know what these "respondents" are reporting that they don't like about the new CX-9. I would suggest that these "respondents" take their CX-9 out for a Track Day. Seriously, I think that would put a smile on their face and make them forget about the occasional CMU stumble.

During my research, I kept reading and hearing people giving their Professional Review of the CX-9 saying: You won't be carving canyons in this SUV, but you sure will like it as a daily driver. LOL! Not only do I take it to the canyons, I actually like it more as a Canyon Carver than a daily driver and I think its daily driving potential is near limitless.

I'll post some video someday of a couple canyon runs. It is no joke. For a seven (7) passenger SUV in this price range, I can do things you are not supposed to be able to do with a seven passenger SUV.... according to the "Experts," of course. Handling in those conditions should improve with the right anti-sway bar/tire combination (as long as the End Links are good - that could be a problem).

Last edited:
About CR - About 11 days ago I bought a new 2018 GLC based on the CR online ratings from only 2 weeks ago!! Where they had it with a score of 81 with top ratings for reliability in it's class! Now 11 days after I bring it home they have it at a 54 with a heavy weight on poor reliability! Not sure what to think of this. Not really sure how this happens or if it is from the 2017 or 16 models. The 18 just came out. Thoughts? BTW - I have a 2010 CX-9 GT AWD with 80K and it has been great. Just one transfer case replacement so far! Knock wood -

About CR - About 11 days ago I bought a new 2018 GLC based on the CR online ratings from only 2 weeks ago!! Where they had it with a score of 81 with top ratings for reliability in it's class! Now 11 days after I bring it home they have it at a 54 with a heavy weight on poor reliability! Not sure what to think of this. Not really sure how this happens or if it is from the 2017 or 16 models. The 18 just came out. Thoughts? BTW - I have a 2010 CX-9 GT AWD with 80K and it has been great. Just one transfer case replacement so far! Knock wood -

December issue scores on the predicted reliability were the Reliability component scores only, not overall scores -- which is what they normally publish in a review. Is that the discrepancy?

^ Oh, maybe I misread it? I was thinking that the new overall score went from 81 to 54. So are you thinking that the score of 54 is the predicted reliability score and Not the overall score for the car? If that's the case then I am not as worried since this is year 3 of the redesign so hopefully the bugs are mostly worked out.

^ Oh, maybe I misread it? I was thinking that the new overall score went from 81 to 54. So are you thinking that the score of 54 is the predicted reliability score and Not the overall score for the car? If that's the case then I am not as worried since this is year 3 of the redesign so hopefully the bugs are mostly worked out.

An early model vehicle wont necessarily have more issues. The infotainment system in the CX-9, which seems to be the biggest problem hurting this cars reliability score has been out for a few years already and has made its way through almost all of their models by now, yet its still buggy and glitchy. My 2015 Mazda 6 has the older design infotainment system which is slow, but I guess at least it doesnt crash or freeze though...

Example. Although my BMW was made one month before they started to produce the 2012 models meaning it wasnt exactly a brand new design, its still an early model car (2011 5 series) and the car has been absolutely trouble free with not a single issue to report at almost 80k Miles.

Considering that the CX-9 only scored poorly because of its unreliable infotainment system, I wouldnt be too worried about this report because the rest of the car is well designed and reliable where it really matters such as the drivetrain.

I keep wondering what happens when all of today's cars are 10 or 15 or never mind 20 years old. If so many of these cars have infotainment issues out of the gate, do we really think automakers will have fixes years down the road? Is there going to become a huge aftermarket to just replace all these units? That won't be easy with fully integrated units. Take the Volvo XC-90. Large screen controls just about everything and has had problems since launch. If that doesn't work, the whole car is useless. Imagine having today's smartphone fixed 15 years from now? How about connectivity? Do we really think all future phones will connect to the Bluetooth in the cars we're buying now? Hell, people have trouble connecting current phones with current cars. The industry is really setting up a bunch of problems.

I keep wondering what happens when all of today's cars are 10 or 15 or never mind 20 years old. If so many of these cars have infotainment issues out of the gate, do we really think automakers will have fixes years down the road? Is there going to become a huge aftermarket to just replace all these units? That won't be easy with fully integrated units. Take the Volvo XC-90. Large screen controls just about everything and has had problems since launch. If that doesn't work, the whole car is useless. Imagine having today's smartphone fixed 15 years from now? How about connectivity? Do we really think all future phones will connect to the Bluetooth in the cars we're buying now? Hell, people have trouble connecting current phones with current cars. The industry is really setting up a bunch of problems.

I agree with you, and honestly this is precisely why I tend to skip as many fancy electronics as I can when I shop for my cars.

all I really care about is a nimble yet stable chassis and good drivetrain tuning. as long as the car can play my music from a USB, I'm happy.

I am more concerned about the seating position and overall interior fit/finish, quality of materials, ergonomics, design all of which mazda nailed flawlessly across their whole lineup of cars. the fact that your average consumer is just looking for a good deal on all these electronic features in their car is just asking for all sorts of problems down the road.

Never looked underneath the CX-9 like that, thanks for the great pics... 20 seems really low, maybe it's a typo?

Other than a some issues withe my screen not displaying audio or the backup cam 3 different times, I've have zero issues with my '17 GT that I've owned since April...

Mee too. I have a 2016.5 GT AWD. Actually I can say I have the first cx9 sell in Mexico and I never had issues with my cx9. Very happy with the purchases. And this SUV bring an smile to my face due to how you can drive it. It's really a really great and good looking SUV.

Don't you think if the CX-9 was that problematic, all the CX-9 owners on here would be reporting issues at a much greater frequency? Outside of infotainment bugs, particularly with early models, there's been only minor things.

Meanwhile Honda has had to replace a bunch of Pilot 9-speeds. I've been on ToyotaNation, and numerous 2017 Highlander owners have needed their new 8-speed transmissions replaced. Seems like a bigger issue than a buggy infotainment screen. Yet Highlander is rated at the top? Something doesn't add up.

I have the 2016 GT AWD and don't have issues at all. Regarding the infotainment issues, I have 12+ months without experiencing a single issue because I don't use the GPS anymore (I use waze instead!) and I never had issues with usb mp3 playing feature. BTW spotify in my galaxy s7 edge works like a charm via cx9 bluetooth. I can see track info on the cx9 screen and control everything from my steering wheel. This mazda is working like a champ.

I have the 2016 GT AWD and don't have issues at all. Regarding the infotainment issues, I have 12+ months without experiencing a single issue because I don't use the GPS anymore (I use waze instead!) and I never had issues with usb mp3 playing feature. BTW spotify in my galaxy s7 edge works like a charm via cx9 bluetooth. I can see track info on the cx9 screen and control everything from my steering wheel. This mazda is working like a champ.

Last time I checked, reliability was determined by how long the drivetrain lasts, not the infotainment system...

Last time I checked, reliability was determined by how long the drivetrain lasts, not the infotainment system...

I just reply back to "tex2670"... he says: "With reported problems of infotainment rebooting, and other infotainment issues, that tends to cause CR reliability scores to drop."

That may be your definition, but that has never been how CR defines reliability. Here's an exa A4 Reliability.pngmple from a few years ago--"Audio System" would now be classified as "In-car Electronics": A4 Reliability.png

Sadly, both CR and JDPower both weigh things evenly when it comes to overall reliability studies.

Car A - needs new engine at 500 miles.
Car B - infotainment went black once.

= Same reliability score.

Inform yourself with all the information you can figure find out there. Take their stuff with a grain of salt. Better off listening to owners on a message board like this.

Better off listening to owners on a message board like this.

Even that is a small sample size. It seems like a huge group of people, but in reality, it's only a few hundred people who are more likely offer unsolicited complaints than unsolicited praise.

I thought they didn’t even offer predicted reliability with a model that new due to no historical data. When did that change? Also isn’t the same system in the Cx-5 and other models? What are their scores?

Back