CR CX-9 Reliability Nosedive

Mazda definitely needs work on their infotainment. But thats across all models.

I think it works great. So easy to navigate while driving as you don't have to look at the controls. Has never froze for me.

The only thing they should have done better is give it a faster processor. Snappier performance would be nice.

I think it works great. So easy to navigate while driving as you don't have to look at the controls. Has never froze for me.

The only thing they should have done better is give it a faster processor. Snappier performance would be nice.

When its working...... my biggest gripe is how long I have to sit in my driveway waiting for it to wake up. My VW is responsive right away and generally a lot snappier. I also find quick changes like radio station easier on the VW due to the shortcuts.

But I agree the Mazda system is decent. If they could speed it up, boot/wake faster, and squash the bugs it would be fine.

When its working...... my biggest gripe is how long I have to sit in my driveway waiting for it to wake up. My VW is responsive right away and generally a lot snappier. I also find quick changes like radio station easier on the VW due to the shortcuts.

But I agree the Mazda system is decent. If they could speed it up, boot/wake faster, and squash the bugs it would be fine.

Yeah, upon startup, it should be fully up in 2 seconds but it takes like 10 seconds, maybe more. In an age where the smart phone in your pocket processes things instantly, that's the performance you expect. Slow processor at the time of sale means painfully slow when you still own the car in 5, 10 years.

Aren't you way overblowing the issues of a 1st year vehicle? I'm counting 3 things things that C/D experienced. The freezing infotainment, an inaccurate range indicater, and a sorftware update. Do you not have an issue with those things relinquishing a great vehicle to a "poor" reliability rating overall?

Do you find it odd that vehicles from other makes have needed transmissions replaced (including top reliability rated Highlander and Pilot), receive excellent reliability scores? An inaccurate range gauge is worse than a faulty transmission?

Also, dealer service and experience has nothing to do with what we're talking about. Your rating reliability because of an unusual 14 day fix. It took that long because it's rare.

Almost 1 year into ownership and just 2 oil changes for me. Not one infotainment freeze.

Among the many reasons why I bought the CX-9 was because it showed the least reported issues from all the various forums I read. The top quality rated Highlander was my second choice and on Toyota Nation, tons of issues are reported. CR apparently hasn't heard.

Well, if the "inaccurate range gauge" turns out to be two bad fuel senders that leave the car at the dealer for 2 weeks, I guess that's kind of equivalent to blowing up the transmission, isn't it? Particularly if it is under warranty.

The Pilot outsells the CX-9 by >5x and the Highlander outsells the CX-9 by >8x. The fact that there are more people on the forums complaining about problems with their Highlander or Pilot is not unexpected given the sales volume. I am not a Toyota/Honda loyalist, and their mechanical reliability has slipped in recent years (particularly the transmissions), but they still seem to be at the top of the heap.

Weren't you admitting the radio takes 10 seconds to start? That doesn't count as a freeze? It isn't acceptable.

Well, if the "inaccurate range gauge" turns out to be two bad fuel senders that leave the car at the dealer for 2 weeks, I guess that's kind of equivalent to blowing up the transmission, isn't it? Particularly if it is under warranty.

The Pilot outsells the CX-9 by >5x and the Highlander outsells the CX-9 by >8x. The fact that there are more people on the forums complaining about problems with their Highlander or Pilot is not unexpected given the sales volume. I am not a Toyota/Honda loyalist, and their mechanical reliability has slipped in recent years (particularly the transmissions), but they still seem to be at the top of the heap.

Weren't you admitting the radio takes 10 seconds to start? That doesn't count as a freeze? It isn't acceptable.

The fuel gauge issue seems to be very rare too. Car and Driver had one of the earliest units. I've maybe heard of 1-2 instances.

As for the infotainment, the 10 or so seconds I'm talking about is hitting start to the point of being able to go through menus. Honestly it's probably not that long. It doesn't freeze, radio is on instantly, the Mazda animation begins immediately, and then the distracted driver warning is up. That's the process that takes time.

Our 2016 Signature has been pretty solid for 22k miles. Ive only taken it back to dealership for regular maintenance; one of those times it had to be kept at the dealership overnight because it had a recall and they didnt have the parts on hand... they gave me a loaner, so no complaints. Closest thing to a warranty repair was that the brakes were squealing when I brought it in for the 15k service, it appears that they had gotten dirty, so they cleaned and lubricated them, no issues since. Infotainment.... it did froze/restart a few times at the beginning, but that has pretty much been solved with firmware updates. I cant even remember when was the last time that it malfunctioned. I agree its a little slow to boot compared to other systems, but it works fine and gets the job done once its up. In our case, no question whatsoever about reliability.

Last edited:
Took a pic of the current CR page. I've pointed this out before.

They still don't even have info on 2017's. Just the 1st year 2016. They're predicting 2018's > the lowest rating.

Then you look over at the categories and see not one red rating. Just one orange for in car electronics (this orange is for infotainment issues on '16 which mostly doesn't effect '18's). I'm just seeing a lot of green on a first year model.

Then over on the top right, it gets the worst rating overall for predicted reliability. Again I ask, what convoluted thought process is this? A vehicle that is performing very reliably is going to be a POS because CR has a hunch?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/164wAD4Y4kDHCU4jnWbFWhgrEbUi1QDYg/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited:
I apologise if my photo can't be viewed by others, I will try to fix later. For some reason this forum doesn't allow uploads from computer/phone, only internet. I don't host photos online.

I apologise if my photo can't be viewed by others, I will try to fix later. For some reason this forum doesn't allow uploads from computer/phone, only internet. I don't host photos online.

If you use a google phone your photos are already being synced to your google profile. If you use google mail you can go to the photos section and pull up pics from your phone - move photos to public album and copy the address and use it.

Back