Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!

Thread: 2017 Mazda infotainment turns off

Registered Member

Model CX-5 Touring

2017 Mazda infotainment turns off

Lately my infotainment will just randomly reboot. Is this something that happens occasionally or do I need to take it to the dealer to look at?

Registered Member

2016 CX5 SE-L 2WD 2.2D 150hp Auto

It might be worth taking out the sat nav sd card and cleaning the contacts with a cotton bud soaked in tape cleaning fluid or similar. Mine started to reboot on the latest 502 firmware and cleaning the contacts seemed to stop the reboots. Follow the path of least resistance first.

2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD titanium/black

What Jonno said.

With the car off eject the card and use some safe for plastics contact cleaner and a qtip to clean the contacts on the card. Reinsert the card and eject it a couple of times to wipe the contacts inside the reader. This may fix your issue. YMMV
    "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

2015 Mazda6 Touring Sonic Silver Sedan 2.5L

Quote Originally Posted by f16joe View Post
    Lately my infotainment will just randomly reboot. Is this something that happens occasionally or do I need to take it to the dealer to look at?
    If it does it frequently, get the dealer to update it's firmware

Registered Member

CX 5

Hi, @f16joe
    My suggestion as the car is under warranty, take it to the dealer and have them take care of the issue. You do not want to damage or create a problem with the cleaning of the contact.
    I am a believer that before the warranty expire not to touch anything. After that I go for it!!

Quote Originally Posted by SEÑOR MAZDA View Post
    Hi, @f16joe
    My suggestion as the car is under warranty, take it to the dealer and have them take care of the issue. You do not want to damage or create a problem with the cleaning of the contact.
    I am a believer that before the warranty expire not to touch anything. After that I go for it!!
    What are you talking about? How in the world would one create an issue by cleaning the electrical contacts?

I'm just the opposite of you. I'm a firm believer that if you can fix a simple issue yourself, do it. The dealership is about the last place I would take my car, except for serious warranty issues. I've seen first hand and heard horror stories of dealerships screwing up what should have been a simple repair or screwing up something else in the process.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2016 CX5 SE-L 2WD 2.2D 150hp Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5 View Post
    What are you talking about? How in the world would one create an issue by cleaning the electrical contacts?

I'm just the opposite of you. I'm a firm believer that if you can fix a simple issue yourself, do it. The dealership is about the last place I would take my car, except for serious warranty issues. I've seen first hand and heard horror stories of dealerships screwing up what should have been a simple repair or screwing up something else in the process.
    So true! That was my thinking Conrad. Always eject and insert the SD card with the engine off. If it wasn't designed to be ejected and inserted again then people would never update their maps and the SD card slot would be under lock and key for only the dealer to access. I always clean the contacts on the SD cards used for my camera with no issues, so the same principle applies.

2015 Mazda6 Touring Sonic Silver Sedan 2.5L

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5 View Post

Pot luck with dealers. Some are good, others not so much (speaking from personal experience with Mazda dealers)

2016 Touring CX-5 w/ 2.0 engine

Here we don’t use nav and my car did the same whenever I used Bluetooth to stream music. Updated iOS and solved some mysterious Bluetooth glitch and the reboot never happened again.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX5 GT

Ive experienced that maybe 3x in 6months. So it doesnt bother me that much yet.
    Current and previous Zoom zoom
    2017 Mazda CX5 GT
    2014 Maxda CX5 GS
    2008 Mazda CX9 GS
    1994 Mazda 323 First ever car!

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback

To you guys who have problems with the software, what version do you have now?
    v59 seems good to me. All my 3 Mazdas have it.
    2016 Mazda6 iGT + Tech Pkg
    ....Sonic Silver Mica / Parchment
    2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
    ....Soul Red Metallic / Almond

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT

The infotainment system on this car is a huge disappointment. I have a '17 GT w/Tech and it's a nightmare. Constant reboots, freezes and MP3's loading whenever they feel like it. Sometimes my MP3's are available within 3 minutes of driving the car, often not for 20 minutes or so, which by then I'm already at my destination. This is a major issue for me, and if Mazda doesn't fix this, this will be my first and last Mazda. I specifically bought the top trip to enjoy all these features, including the sound system and now I'm stuck listening to the radio most of the time because as stated previously, by the time I get to my destination, the MP3 list hasn't loaded yet.

Frustrating as hell and totally unacceptable. Friends get into my car, start asking about it and want me to play some music and I have basically tell them sure...let's take a road trip to frickin Alaska and back and by then my tunes should be ready. Going to the dealer with this today. If they don't give a satisfactory solution, I'll be contacting Mazda Canada, and if they drag their feet, then Mazda JP. I had to do the same thing with my bike, after Kawasaki failed to respond, a lengthy email to Kawasaki JP, outlining my displeasure resolved an issue within a couple days, that dragged on for 4 months.

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback

The only problem I have observed with v59 is that the beep sound might disappear on me when making selection.
    Yes, I have it turned on in settings.
    Other than that, no other issue so far. Much better than all the previous versions I had.
    Yes, previous issues include:
    Not finding SD card,
    No sound from audio
    Frozen in wrong screen (i.e. hit HOME, but the screen did not change because the system thought it was in HOME already...)
    Cannot connect to cell phone
    etc.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Quote Originally Posted by SndChsr View Post
    The infotainment system on this car is a huge disappointment. I have a '17 GT w/Tech and it's a nightmare. Constant reboots, freezes and MP3's loading whenever they feel like it. Sometimes my MP3's are available within 3 minutes of driving the car, often not for 20 minutes or so, which by then I'm already at my destination. This is a major issue for me, and if Mazda doesn't fix this, this will be my first and last Mazda. I specifically bought the top trip to enjoy all these features, including the sound system and now I'm stuck listening to the radio most of the time because as stated previously, by the time I get to my destination, the MP3 list hasn't loaded yet.

Frustrating as hell and totally unacceptable. Friends get into my car, start asking about it and want me to play some music and I have basically tell them sure...let's take a road trip to frickin Alaska and back and by then my tunes should be ready. Going to the dealer with this today. If they don't give a satisfactory solution, I'll be contacting Mazda Canada, and if they drag their feet, then Mazda JP. I had to do the same thing with my bike, after Kawasaki failed to respond, a lengthy email to Kawasaki JP, outlining my displeasure resolved an issue within a couple days, that dragged on for 4 months.
    Read my post #3 for a possible solution. And YES, dirty/oxidized connections can cause your issues.