Window Tint

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hey guys!

I am sorry to post another thread about this, but I REALLY don't know if I should go with 30 or 20% window tint. I really like how 20 matches the back windows, but I don't want to have issues with the cops. However, I don't want my CX-5 to look really stupid with 30. (not matching).

Also, has anyone ever heard of or used Johnson Window Films? Prior to this, the guy I was going to used Madico ceramic tint.

does anyone have a good profile pic of their CX-5 with 35-30 on the front two windows?

Thanks!

What % is the Law in Wisky where you live?

I dig the 20%,and I have the Johnson tint,which also matches factory perfectly. I did add a vinyl strip to the front windshield as well,and plan to add an 80% to the entire windshield soon.

The law is 50% on the front windows where I live, so the 20% really sticks out.

No one has had any vertical scratching?

The law is 50% on the front windows where I live, so the 20% really sticks out.

No one has had any vertical scratching?

No. I was sure to give the tints lots of time to dry out and I haven’t had any issues. It really improves the look of the car aesthetically and helps make the interior the car more cozy.

If you aren’t getting 20% tints to match the factory tints, I wouldn’t even bother. It will just look silly and 30% is too light, a waste of money IMO. You’re only going to have an issue with drug dealer 5% limo tints.

I REALLY don't know if I should go with 30 or 20% window tint. I really like how 20 matches the back windows, but I don't want to have issues with the cops. However, I don't want my CX-5 to look really stupid with 30. (not matching).

Speaking from personal experience, having the front windows slightly lighter than the rears doesn't look stupid at all.
I did the windows on both of my Nissans (an Altima and a Pathfinder), and my back windows are one shade darker than the fronts.
Part of the reason was of course the legal side of things. I didn't want to be hassled by the cops.
The other reason is that a darker tint on the front windows really cuts down on your visibilty at night, or in the rain. It can be a safety issue.
The darker rear windows look especially good on an SUV/CUV or mini-van, because you not only have the darker glass on the rear doors, but also on the glass on the back section.
I'm out of the country at the moment, so I can't take or post a picture, but I wouldn't be concerned with the CX-5 having darker back windows.

As for any scratching, after many years of ownership, I do have some minor scratching on both vehicles, but you really need to look close to see it.
It's not an issue.
One thing to be wary of though: don't clean the inside of the windows (where the tint is) with an ammonia based cleaner. NO WINDEX.
Clean with a mild detergent, or just even with a damp cloth.

Last edited:
Speaking from personal experience, having the front windows slightly lighter than the rears doesn't look stupid at all.
I did the windows on both of my Nissans (an Altima and a Pathfinder), and my back windows are one shade darker than the fronts.
Part of the reason was of course the legal side of things. I didn't want to be hassled by the cops.
The other reason is that a darker tint on the front windows really cuts down on your visibilty at night, or in the rain. It can be a safety issue.
The darker rear windows look especially good on an SUV/CUV or mini-van, because you not only have the darker glass on the rear doors, but also on the glass on the back section.
I'm out of the country at the moment, so I can't take or post a picture, but I wouldn't be concerned with the CX-5 having darker back windows.

As for any scratching, after many years of ownership, I do have some minor scratching on both vehicles, but you really need to look close to see it.
It's not an issue.
One thing to be wary of though: don't clean the inside of the windows (where the tint is) with an ammonia based cleaner. NO WINDEX.
Clean with a mild detergent, or just even with a damp cloth.

having 20% all around, I didnt have any sort of issues with visibility at night.

however, anything lower then 20%, closer to 5% all you're going to see in your rear view at night are a pair of headlights, it's way too dark.

20% is good though. they look pretty illegal at night, but during the day you'll be happy you didnt go with 30% because you can still see into the car.

not a Mazda, I know. but here is my other car with 20's all around. I think it looks sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnrz9PzAI5c

On hatchbacks/CUV/SUVs I like the look of the darker rear and lighter front. On a 4 door car I like the same % tint all around. That said, I have 35 % up front and 20% over the rear factory tint, plus 70% on the windshield and 55% on the sunroof to block heat. 35% is too light for me so I added another layer of 50% to get it a bit darker.

Im taking the plunge! Going with 30% on the front 2 windows.. doesnt look too dark on you tube videos.

Im taking the plunge! Going with 30% on the front 2 windows.. doesnt look too dark on you tube videos.

I added 30% ceramic tint across all the side and rear windows and a 90% film across the windshield (Texas sun, y'all). Yes, the front is a little lighter, but I think it looks good and is legal here. Good visibility using side mirrors.

IMG_6945.jpg

No, I meant from the outside of the vehicle looking in..

whats the point of tinted windows if you can still see inside of the car though.

how much did you pay to tint just your front windows BTW? I paid $300 for 20% all around on my BMW sedan.

whats the point of tinted windows if you can still see inside of the car though.

how much did you pay to tint just your front windows BTW? I paid $300 for 20% all around on my BMW sedan.

Yes, if you shield your eyes from the sun and spend some time, you can stand outside and see through the 30% film windows in the front. Just a quick glance as you walk by doesn't reveal much, though. Technically, in full bright sun and shielding your eyes, you can see a little through the rear privacy glass with the 30% film added... but again, in a practical sense, they're very dark. I think adding the 30% all the way around is a good compromise.

As for "what's the point" of tinted windows? In Texas, it's practically necessary to survive driving home from work in a car that's sat in a parking lot for 8-10 hours :-/ The improved heat rejection of the ceramic based tint seems to be more important than going darker with a dyed film. The Llumar ceramic film across the 5 side and rear windows was $350.

Last edited:
After talking with my cousin (a county sheriff) and my good friend (a police officer) about window tint they told me this: They don't really care about what the law says and rarely if ever check reasonable tint levels. If the car is tinted really dark, 2.5%-5% they will write it up but the 20%-30% range they don't care. The only times they would be a "dick" about 20% tint is if they get some disrespectful punk being a jackwagon and then write them the 10-day for the tint. Both my cousin and my friend have there cars tinted to 20% to match the rears on their vehicles. I've been running 20% tint on the fronts for almost 3 years now with no issues and I also don't have a front plate on my car, I'm a rebel!

I say do the 20% don't drive like an idiot and get pulled over. If you do get pulled over, roll your windows down and then shut the engine off and be respectful to the officer.

After talking with my cousin (a county sheriff) and my good friend (a police officer) about window tint they told me this: They don't really care about what the law says and rarely if ever check reasonable tint levels. If the car is tinted really dark, 2.5%-5% they will write it up but the 20%-30% range they don't care. The only times they would be a "dick" about 20% tint is if they get some disrespectful punk being a jackwagon and then write them the 10-day for the tint. Both my cousin and my friend have there cars tinted to 20% to match the rears on their vehicles. I've been running 20% tint on the fronts for almost 3 years now with no issues and I also don't have a front plate on my car, I'm a rebel!

I say do the 20% don't drive like an idiot and get pulled over. If you do get pulled over, roll your windows down and then shut the engine off and be respectful to the officer.

This entirely. They couldn't careless about window tint % here,although the law says 32%. They don't even carry a meter to read it...Even the popos get their personal cars tinted 5-20%...

Glad we don't have front license plates here. Didn't stop the dealer from popping the holes out and putting their plate on though. Ugh! Needless to say,that plate removal was the first thing done to my car.

After talking with my cousin (a county sheriff) and my good friend (a police officer) about window tint they told me this: They don't really care about what the law says and rarely if ever check reasonable tint levels.

It's one of those things that I'm guessing changes from state to state.
Here in Canada, each province has their own vehicle by-laws, and what's legal in one province can be illegal in another.
My son moved from Ontario to Newfoundland a few years ago, and was stopped in the first week by the cops and was ordered to remove the tint from his front windows.
He had to present his car to the cops with the tint removed before they would issue new plates. Very strict.

It's one of those things that I'm guessing changes from state to state.
Here in Canada, each province has their own vehicle by-laws, and what's legal in one province can be illegal in another.
My son moved from Ontario to Newfoundland a few years ago, and was stopped in the first week by the cops and was ordered to remove the tint from his front windows.
He had to present his car to the cops with the tint removed before they would issue new plates. Very strict.

It does change state to state,and it's the reason why the fronts don't come with privacy glass,or they certainly would...

Back