Tire pressure for 20's.

JPL

:
2018 Mazda6, CX-9
Mine was delivered with all 4 tires at 40psi when 34psi is recommended. I know it's perfectly safe to run them at 40 but this would stiffen the ride further. Wonder why the dealer would deliver them as such?

What were yours delivered at?

Mine was delivered with all 4 tires at 40psi when 34psi is recommended. I know it's perfectly safe to run them at 40 but this would stiffen the ride further. Wonder why the dealer would deliver them as such?

Another car that missed the pre-delivery inspection???

Your vehicle was shipped with that overfilled PSI, it was supposed to have been adjusted at the dealer during the thorough PDI (pre-delivery inspection).

It is possible they skipped only this step, it is however more likely that the entire vehicle skipped the PDI process.

But rest assured, the dealer still charges Mazda for the ghost PDI... (notcool)

Here is the video of the process...

Last edited:
Another car that missed the pre-delivery inspection???

Your vehicle was shipped with that overfilled PSI, it was supposed to have been adjusted at the dealer during the thorough PDI (pre-delivery inspection).

It is possible they skipped only this step, it is however more likely that the entire vehicle skipped the PDI process.

But rest assured, the dealer still charges Mazda for the ghost PDI... (notcool)

Yeah, the tire pressure check is as quick and easy as it gets. If they skipped that, then who knows what else!

One other thing I noticed (cleaning crew responsibility) was left over residue on the interior aluminum trim from the protective plastic from the factory. Had to clean it myself when I got home.

And mine went through two dealers, it had to be swapped in.

You should notice a nice difference going to the recommended pressure. (eekdance)

Hope you are enjoying the new ride!
It is quite the Mazda, and must admit I am jealous... (bow)

Even at 40psi in 20's the CX-9 is amazingly smooth and comfortable. Very surprising.

Manual states 34. Delivery was 41. The climate where your dealer is located might have something to do with it - depending on how conscious they are. I've reduced to 37 all the way around because I want a specific kind of performance in the region where I live. Mazda did a pretty good job of matching this particular vehicle with a good all-around tire. The tire selection could have been better for performance -or- for ride comfort, but I think they struck a really nice balance with these Falkens.

I'm probably looking at a set of Michelins or Yokohamas when it is time to replace - but honestly, they will have to seriously outperform the OEM selection (for my range of driving needs) in order for me to walk away from the Falkens. That means, I'm going to have to come across some fairly startling new information about either the Michelins or Yokohamas - else, I'll be sticking with the Falkens.

Yeah, the tire pressure check is as quick and easy as it gets. If they skipped that, then who knows what else!

One other thing I noticed (cleaning crew responsibility) was left over residue on the interior aluminum trim from the protective plastic from the factory. Had to clean it myself when I got home.

And mine went through two dealers, it had to be swapped in.

I once had a brand new Corvette delivered this way. Plastic covering on the seats torn off and hanging, dust on exterior and interior, oil residue on the interior cockpit floor from the tech's shoes, etc.

In the final analysis I was thankful. Why? If a dealer cannot get the delivery right, I would not want them detailing my new paint anyway as they are guaranteed to scratch it and/or haze it. So, I was happy that I would be the first and only post delivery detail. That way, I could ensure the job got done right the first time.

Honestly, I'm at the point now where I don't want the dealer touching anything prior to me coming to pick up the vehicle. I'll do the PDI. Dealer's should make room in the service bay for customer's who prefer doing their own Pre-Delivery Inspection. I'll bring my own tools. Just give me access to the lift. Just remember to deduct the "Dealer Prep" charge at the end of the day. Thank you.

Manual states 34. Delivery was 41. The climate where your dealer is located might have something to do with it - depending on how conscious they are. I've reduced to 37 all the way around because I want a specific kind of performance in the region where I live. Mazda did a pretty good job of matching this particular vehicle with a good all-around tire. The tire selection could have been better for performance -or- for ride comfort, but I think they struck a really nice balance with these Falkens.

I'm probably looking at a set of Michelins or Yokohamas when it is time to replace - but honestly, they will have to seriously outperform the OEM selection (for my range of driving needs) in order for me to walk away from the Falkens. That means, I'm going to have to come across some fairly startling new information about either the Michelins or Yokohamas - else, I'll be sticking with the Falkens.

The Falkens are performing nicely. The only problem is the low UTQG rating of 300. Like many OEM's, they're not going to last long. That's probably what would prevent me from getting another set. Tires are around $900 a set, need them to last. Manufacturers usually install tires that is the best combo of quietness and performance for the vehicle as felt during a test drive.

The high pressure is said to keep the cars more stable when they're lashed down in the car carrier for the ocean voyage. We do not want the cars bouncing on soft tires when the weather is bad and the ocean rough.
pcc_01.jpg

The Falkens are performing nicely. The only problem is the low UTQG rating of 300. Like many OEM's, they're not going to last long. That's probably what would prevent me from getting another set. Tires are around $900 a set, need them to last. Manufacturers usually install tires that is the best combo of quietness and performance for the vehicle as felt during a test drive.

Yes mine were 40 psi when delivered new early this year so I had to adjust them down to 34 psi a few weeks after I noticed...

Agreed, the Falkens have lower UTQG of 300AA and they weren't really good during the winter but rest of the season they were okay...will replace them tomorrow with a new set of Nokian all-weather tires (WRG3 SUV with 600 AA UTQG) that's supposed to last twice as the Falkens and are also winter rated...I just plan on keeping the Falkens in my garage after only 9 mos of use primarily as back up

The high pressure is said to keep the cars more stable when they're lashed down in the car carrier for the ocean voyage. We do not want the cars bouncing on soft tires when the weather is bad and the ocean rough.
pcc_01.jpg

Thanks, I was just wondering why the manufacturer was consistently over inflating that much.

I wonder why the pre-delivery inspection at dealerships across the country is so uniformly bad.

Wow, after driving around for about a week in my new CX-9, I came across this thread and decided to check my pressures. One tire was at 59psi, the rest were at 55psi...crazy! I just dropped them all to 35, no wonder they were squealing everywhere.

Wow, after driving around for about a week in my new CX-9, I came across this thread and decided to check my pressures. One tire was at 59psi, the rest were at 55psi...crazy! I just dropped them all to 35, no wonder they were squealing everywhere.

Those kinds of inflation pressures can actually be rather dangerous - especially in heavier vehicles. Glad you finally checked it and shame on anyone delivering a vehicle that exceeds the specified max pressure limit.

BTW - the Falken ZIEX CT50 installed on the CX-9 has a max pressure (cold) of 51 psi. You were running in excess of that on all four corner.

Those kinds of inflation pressures can actually be rather dangerous - especially in heavier vehicles. Glad you finally checked it and shame on anyone delivering a vehicle that exceeds the specified max pressure limit.

BTW - the Falken ZIEX CT50 installed on the CX-9 has a max pressure (cold) of 51 psi. You were running in excess of that on all four corner.

Yep, surprised me. Those pressures were the highest I've ever seen in any car tire in my possession. I've rented cars and the rental agencies tend to bump up tire pressure to preserve tire life, even then I've never come across a car tire with that high a pressure. Glad this thread was here, who knows how long I'd have gone before checking them. I need to make that more of a regular maintenance item.

Yep, surprised me. Those pressures were the highest I've ever seen in any car tire in my possession. I've rented cars and the rental agencies tend to bump up tire pressure to preserve tire life, even then I've never come across a car tire with that high a pressure. Glad this thread was here, who knows how long I'd have gone before checking them. I need to make that more of a regular maintenance item.

UGH! Sorry to hear! That is dangerous... I would be reporting that to Mazda if it was me. Hate to see someone get hurt...(headshake

Well, on my own after 3 weeks of ownership of my 2019 CX-9 GT (FWD) and not a lot of driving decided to check the tire pressure just for laughs. Was shocked to find that all four Falkens were at 53 to 54 psi instead of the data plate recommended 34 psi and over the sidewall specified max of 51 psi. While test driving the car before paying for it the low windshield wiper fluid light came on and my sales rep was embarrassed that the service guys didn't catch it on the PDI. Now I find that the car was delivered with tires 20 psi over their recommended amount. It does make you wonder what else they missed or what kind of quality I can expect from future service? Put that oil drain plug back in guys?

My tire inflation was ~45psi when I received delivery of the car in October 2018. I deflated the tires to 35psi, as per the plate recommendations, which made the ride much more comfortably. I*m thinking of bumping the psi to 37-38. Thoughts anyone?

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Last edited:
I normally increase the pressure to 38 psi. I have been going above vehicle recommended pressure ever since I started driving, but always well below max pressure on the sidewall. I have never had any adverse effects.

I changed my psi to 37 from 35 and thus far I like the tire @ this pressure level better. Further test pending.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Back