2017 Wheel Downsizing / Off Set

gearhead262

:
Mazda CX5
Just moved up to VT, and I am thinking about getting a winter set since I will be going to the ski resorts quite often.

I am thinking about downsizing to a 16 to save some cost.
TireRack is recommending 225/70/R16.

What would be a good offset for R16? I'm seeing quite a wide range, but would prefer for a flushed look.

Just moved up to VT, and I am thinking about getting a winter set since I will be going to the ski resorts quite often.

I am thinking about downsizing to a 16 to save some cost.
TireRack is recommending 225/70/R16.

What would be a good offset for R16? I'm seeing quite a wide range, but would prefer for a flushed look.

16's are going to look silly, that is way too much sidewall.

stick to 17's.

Buy some Mazda 3 or 6 takeoffs in either 16 or 17. They'll fit and meet your goal of saving cash. For snow, a narrower 215 tire will cut through the slop better. Ignore the comment that 16s will look silly, you need function. The taller sidewall will absorb the potholes, frost heaves and dirt roads better but will definitely be less responsive.

I run winter tires in stock size 225/65/17 on the stock wheels. Summer tires are 235/60/17 on motegi +48 offset wheels. Due to the design, the spokes are flush but the tires are more inside. In winter the flush tires are going to throw a lot more debris, sand, salt, spray up the side of the car. Keep those tires inboard for winter and let the wheel wells do their job. My ex had winter wheels and tires with more offset on her white Mini. It looked burly but was dirty all winter due to the spray.

My winter setup are sport edition F12's 17" with a 35 offset. They sit pretty flush. Any where from the 50et stock setup up to about 35et on a 7" wide 17" rim and you should be good. there are wheel offset calculators online that you can use that will give you a pretty good idea of how they will sit on the car

Noob question..

So I am looking for winter tires with mags, I found these but I am not certain if they would be okay on my 2017 CX-5:

1.JPG2.JPG

So from the picture, I can say that they are 17", what size is the best for winter (Canada)? And on top of that, I'll have to instal TPMS....

The original summer tires are 225/55R19...

Thanks!

Last edited:
So I am looking for winter tires with mags, I found these but I am not certain if they would be okay on my 2017 CX-5:

View attachment 217666View attachment 217667

So from the picture, I can say that they are 17", what size is the best for winter (Canada)? And on top of that, I'll have to instal TPMS....

Thanks!

Put a 225/65R17 on that and you're good to go. More sidewall to absorb the shock of winter pot holes and the same diameter as your OE 19's so your speedo will be accurate.

View attachment 217666View attachment 217667

Thanks!

what is pictured is the wheel spec's, its a 17" rim diameter that is 7" wide and has an offset of 50mm. That is the stock specs for a Mazda CX-5 with 17" wheels. What we don't know is what wheels these are and what they are off of. The other big factor to whether or not a wheel will fit is center bore diameter. Mazda uses a 67.1mm center bore so if that wheel has the same center bore or larger they will work. Most aftermarket rims are center bored larger and then have the proper sizing rings installed in the center bore to match the hub they are going on to. This is very important as the wheels are whats called hub centric, not stud centric. Meaning the hub is responsible for centering the wheel not the studs. Don't use a wheel with a larger hub bore unless you have the proper centering rims installed.

If you have the correct centerbore or center rings on that rim pictured then get some 225/65R17 winter tires. that is the stock size for the oem 17" wheels and work great as a winter tire due to the taller side wall which absorbs impacts much better then the 19's with their 55 series sidewalls. I have the GT with 19's and I run 225/65R17 WS80's on some sport editions F12's with a 35mm offset. More offset then I would like for winter, but they do look good, just more spray up the side of the car. I added front mud guards to help a bit. At $150 for the set of 4 rims I couldn't pass that deal up.

what is pictured is the wheel spec's, its a 17" rim diameter that is 7" wide and has an offset of 50mm. That is the stock specs for a Mazda CX-5 with 17" wheels. What we don't know is what wheels these are and what they are off of. The other big factor to whether or not a wheel will fit is center bore diameter. Mazda uses a 67.1mm center bore so if that wheel has the same center bore or larger they will work. Most aftermarket rims are center bored larger and then have the proper sizing rings installed in the center bore to match the hub they are going on to. This is very important as the wheels are whats called hub centric, not stud centric. Meaning the hub is responsible for centering the wheel not the studs. Don't use a wheel with a larger hub bore unless you have the proper centering rims installed.

If you have the correct centerbore or center rings on that rim pictured then get some 225/65R17 winter tires. that is the stock size for the oem 17" wheels and work great as a winter tire due to the taller side wall which absorbs impacts much better then the 19's with their 55 series sidewalls. I have the GT with 19's and I run 225/65R17 WS80's on some sport editions F12's with a 35mm offset. More offset then I would like for winter, but they do look good, just more spray up the side of the car. I added front mud guards to help a bit. At $150 for the set of 4 rims I couldn't pass that deal up.

Thanks so much for the info. I am deciding wether I should buy these for $500 CAD:2.JPG 1.JPG or these $_59.JPG for $100, they were previously on a Mazda 3. I would personally go cheaper but I am not sure of the offset and width, I will have to see them in person.

My car was delivered with winter tires (Goodyear Ultra Grip, 225/65R17) on rim and cap. The rim and cap are ugly as hell :(, that's why I need to buy mags and put those Goodyear winter tires on.

Thanks so much for the info. I am deciding wether I should buy these for $500 CAD:View attachment 217698 View attachment 217699 or these View attachment 217700 for $100, they were previously on a Mazda 3. I would personally go cheaper but I am not sure of the offset and width, I will have to see them in person.

My car was delivered with winter tires (Goodyear Ultra Grip, 225/65R17) on rim and cap. The rim and cap are ugly as hell :(, that's why I need to buy mags and put those Goodyear winter tires on.

The second set you pictured appear to be the older stock rims for a mazda3. From what I can find they are a 17x6.5 rim with a 52.5 offset. Your hub bore will be the same. They will work just fine as winter rims. The difference in offset will place them 2mm further in the CX-5 which shouldn't be an issue for you at all. You would still run a 225/65R17 tires. If I where you I would get the cheaper rims as long as they are straight and true with no bends or breaks.

When you say "rim and cap" are you meaning you have steel wheels and hubcaps? If so why not just keep the winter tires on the steel wheels, paint them if needed and then invest in a decent set of nicer summer rims and tires?

When you say "rim and cap" are you meaning you have steel wheels and hubcaps? If so why not just keep the winter tires on the steel wheels, paint them if needed and then invest in a decent set of nicer summer rims and tires?

Hi Ride92, thanks for your answer! My winter tires looks kinda like this:
1003621d1350889758-hyundai-i10-tyre-wheel-upgrade-thread-img00010201210211637.jpg

My summer tires are already awesome:
2017-Mazda-CX-5-wheels-02.jpg

The winter tires on the wheel steel + hubcaps are just too ugly, I'll take a picture soon....

Last edited:
(puke)

You'd be better off taking those "rims" off and just going with the black steel rim look!

Agree with the above, take those dank a$$ caps off and just have a steel winter rim. Save your money for a set of sweet flushed 20's for the summer. (2thumbs)(guitar)(headbang)

Or if you really like the stockers that much, just save your money, lol.

Yep, just remove the hub caps. They don't do anything and actually probably hurt winter driving. I can see a lot of snow and crap getting stuck between the hubcap and steel wheel which will effect balance and increase the likely hood of rusting the steel wheels by trapping all that moisture against steel.

Personally I like the look of steel wheels for a winter setup, there's something kinda low tech and rugged about them in the winter.

For the record, those ugly things in the picture above are "wheel covers", NOT "hub caps". Hub caps just cover the end of the axle and the bearings.
And yeah, they are butt ugly.

Ladies and gentlemen, my new mags!

GUjR3Np.jpg

Looks good. Are those off an old Mazda 6 or something? They do suit the car pretty nicely.

I would tint your windows next, youll be surprised how well it will go with the black wheels.

Where did you pick up 4 rims for 150? That's an awesome deal!

Looks good. Are those off an old Mazda 6 or something? They do suit the car pretty nicely.

I would tint your windows next, you’ll be surprised how well it will go with the black wheels.

Thanks buddy! Yes they were from a Mazda 6. Tinted Windows is a good idea but for now, I will leave as is. I was thinking of getting 3M to protect the front bumper and mirrors

Latest posts

Back