2018 CX-9 - is 3rd row entry easier?

bebopdeluxe

:
2004 Toyota Sienna LE AWD
Hello there...as someone who is likely purchasing a new CX-9 within the next few months, I am trying to decide whether it is worth it to pay more for the 2018 versus a 2017 leftover (I am buying an AWD Sport). I like some of the new standard features - as well as the new Sport package - but the big determinate is whether the "better" 2nd row seats and modified 3rd row access are REALLY better now.

I have not yet seen any serious reviews from the automotive press on the 2018, but it looks like forum members have purchased 2018's...so can anybody that has purchased a 2018 - or has been to a dealer and compared the 2018 to the 2017 - comment definitively on the modifications to the 2nd row seats and 3rd row access?

Thanks!

Just picked up an '18 today but I didn't compare that particular feature to the '17. It is pretty easy to move the seats and apparently the gap is larger to climb in the back.

That aside, there's better reasons to get the '18. Depending on trim. Lower trims have more standard features, GT & Signature have heated rear seats and steering wheel added.

And undoubtedly Mazda has addressed any issues that may have popped up on '16's and '17's, just as with every model from every company after the first year or two.

Depends how much you want to save. Not many '17's left already. Remember that if you get a vehicle year end to save money, you will lose a lot of that money when you trade or sell it because then it's a "full year older" regardless of when it was bought in the year.

Just picked up an '18 today but I didn't compare that particular feature to the '17. It is pretty easy to move the seats and apparently the gap is larger to climb in the back.

That aside, there's better reasons to get the '18. Depending on trim. Lower trims have more standard features, GT & Signature have heated rear seats and steering wheel added.

And undoubtedly Mazda has addressed any issues that may have popped up on '16's and '17's, just as with every model from every company after the first year or two.

Depends how much you want to save. Not many '17's left already. Remember that if you get a vehicle year end to save money, you will lose a lot of that money when you trade or sell it because then it's a "full year older" regardless of when it was bought in the year.

If you keep the car 5+ years, this matters a lot less, since so much of the depreciation is front-loaded. You probably save as much, or maybe more, on a '17 leftover deal as the difference would be for your trade if you keep it over 5 years.

It all depends on the details.

Not worried about model year. This will be replacing a 2004 Sienna LE AWD with 124K...to be honest, the Sienna is still running fine, but I feel like a $2,000-4,000 repair could hit me at any moment! Want to get out while the getting is good.

There are also a fair amount of 2017 AWD Sports around - so I am not too worried about finding one (I have no problem going 300-500 miles to get one if the price is right). I like the additional features the '18 has - both standard features and the Sport package. But if I am going to pay $2,000-3,000 more for a 2018, it would be really nice if the changes they made to the 2nd row seats and 3rd row access are significantly better. While my girls are only 12 and 9, eventually they will be bigger...

Thanks for the responses! Keep 'em coming...

If you keep the car 5+ years, this matters a lot less, since so much of the depreciation is front-loaded. You probably save as much, or maybe more, on a '17 leftover deal as the difference would be for your trade if you keep it over 5 years.

It all depends on the details.

This is true.

Just have to weigh what's important to you. There's a worthwhile amount of improvements this year for the extra money. However some people don't care and you could save an extra few grand.

I got $2500 off MSRP on an '18 that had to be dealer swapped, none in area. Plus 0% financing which is the real money saver. Situation like this would usually allow very little incentive yet Mazda is giving very good incentives right now. They're looking at boosting CX-9 sales.

Not worried about model year. This will be replacing a 2004 Sienna LE AWD with 124K...to be honest, the Sienna is still running fine, but I feel like a $2,000-4,000 repair could hit me at any moment! Want to get out while the getting is good.

There are also a fair amount of 2017 AWD Sports around - so I am not too worried about finding one (I have no problem going 300-500 miles to get one if the price is right). I like the additional features the '18 has - both standard features and the Sport package. But if I am going to pay $2,000-3,000 more for a 2018, it would be really nice if the changes they made to the 2nd row seats and 3rd row access are significantly better. While my girls are only 12 and 9, eventually they will be bigger...

Thanks for the responses! Keep 'em coming...

I imagine 3rd row access is adequate in '17's. I'm still wondering why numerous auto journalists complain about the 3rd row. I'm 6'1" 265 and am surprisingly comfortable back there. Test drove my other contender, the Highlander, same day and the 3rd row was unusable for me. Somehow the Mazda even has more headroom with it's chopped rear end vs the Highlanders more square rear. Go figure.

Hello there...as someone who is likely purchasing a new CX-9 within the next few months, I am trying to decide whether it is worth it to pay more for the 2018 versus a 2017 leftover (I am buying an AWD Sport). I like some of the new standard features - as well as the new Sport package - but the big determinate is whether the "better" 2nd row seats and modified 3rd row access are REALLY better now.

I have not yet seen any serious reviews from the automotive press on the 2018, but it looks like forum members have purchased 2018's...so can anybody that has purchased a 2018 - or has been to a dealer and compared the 2018 to the 2017 - comment definitively on the modifications to the 2nd row seats and 3rd row access?

Thanks!

I have a 2017 and have to say the 2nd row seats are not difficult to move to access the 3rd row...just takes getting used to and it's a breeze to operate after time. Remember that when journalists review them they don't really spend a lot of time on the vehicle and probably access the 3rd row for demonstration purposes only which would be rare so in other words the "difficulty" is exaggerated. I assume the 2018 would even be easier as Mazda has improved it. If your decision will be based with major consideration on this topic then I suggest to test both a 2017 and 2018 in the showroom so you can really compare the ease of access.

we have the 18 and our three 10 yr old kids have 0 issues getting in the 3rd row. my ONLY complaint is the seat doesnt go back to its original position once it is pushed back forward. you usually have re-adjust which can be annoying for someone with OCD such as myself. but as far as moving the seat goes, its quite simple.

Thanks!

I have only read about the changes to the 2018. From what I can read and from owning a 2017 Signature for the past several months, I don't get the impression that there is much of a difference between the two other than minor cosmetic (bumper treatments, etc.) and some added interior accouterments that don't get me excited enough to trade-in. I'm sure the online YouTubers will start "Reviews" in earnest soon enough - probably once they've had a chance to travel to an international auto show where the new CX-9 is on display.

Instead of adding plastic chrome treatments to the front and rear lower bumper areas, I thought it would have been a nice touch to change all the black trim pieces around the bottom of the vehicle to Carbon Fiber. Obviously, a faux carbon fiber design of some sort would have done nicely. In addition, it would have been nice to make all Piano Black trim pieces on the interior (notorious for scratching) Carbon Fiber reveal as well.

Adding power height adjustment to the passenger seat was a good enhancement.
Adding front parking sensors also a great inclusion.
Adding front articulating driver's seat a really good development as well.

Beyond these items, at least for me, there are no new game changers in the 2018. Look at the costs involved - you might find that a 2017 Signature works even better for you. If find the Napa Leather seats to be very well done (comfortable and secure) and those are just not available in the other trims. You have already decided on the 20-inch wheels, so that's not a big issue for you to consider as it does change the profile considerably on the CX-9.

It is not that big a step up in price from the GT to Sig. Yet, the interior of the Sig is a really nice upgrade that you will appreciate for years to come, no doubt. I just hope you are buying from a good reputable dealer - then you will have the best of both worlds. An awesome SUV and an equally awesome Dealer.

Thanks!

I have only read about the changes to the 2018. From what I can read and from owning a 2017 Signature for the past several months, I don't get the impression that there is much of a difference between the two other than minor cosmetic (bumper treatments, etc.) and some added interior accouterments that don't get me excited enough to trade-in. I'm sure the online YouTubers will start "Reviews" in earnest soon enough - probably once they've had a chance to travel to an international auto show where the new CX-9 is on display.

Instead of adding plastic chrome treatments to the front and rear lower bumper areas, I thought it would have been a nice touch to change all the black trim pieces around the bottom of the vehicle to Carbon Fiber. Obviously, a faux carbon fiber design of some sort would have done nicely. In addition, it would have been nice to make all Piano Black trim pieces on the interior (notorious for scratching) Carbon Fiber reveal as well.

Adding power height adjustment to the passenger seat was a good enhancement.
Adding front parking sensors also a great inclusion.
Adding front articulating driver's seat a really good development as well.

Beyond these items, at least for me, there are no new game changers in the 2018. Look at the costs involved - you might find that a 2017 Signature works even better for you. If find the Napa Leather seats to be very well done (comfortable and secure) and those are just not available in the other trims. You have already decided on the 20-inch wheels, so that's not a big issue for you to consider as it does change the profile considerably on the CX-9.

It is not that big a step up in price from the GT to Sig. Yet, the interior of the Sig is a really nice upgrade that you will appreciate for years to come, no doubt. I just hope you are buying from a good reputable dealer - then you will have the best of both worlds. An awesome SUV and an equally awesome Dealer.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. I've got a great idea for you. For the heck of it, go test drive Volvo XC-90 Inscription and make your way into the Third Row of that vehicle. Then go do the same with the Mazda CX-9. You will be surprised to find out that you are probably more comfortable sitting (as an adult) in the third row of the CX-9 (no kidding) than you are in a vehicle that could cost 100% more than your CX-9 (again, no kidding). You can spend $80 grand on a new Inscription T8.

I personally used the XC-90 as my "benchmark" comparison platform because it was the vehicle that I had already "decided" I would purchase. All others were doomed and they all dropped like flies in comparison to the XC-90, until I ran into the Mazda CX-9 for nearly 50% of the cost and in my mind about 85% of what the XC-90 Inscription had to offer. The decision was too easy after that. I could have bought 15% more SUV, but it would cost me nearly double the money. That simply made no sense.

Last edited:
Back