How To Keep Ignition On When Shutting Off Engine

GJ-Molestor

Banned
:
2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual
I know a thread has been made on this before, but Im sure many of you do not know of this feature.

Im pretty sure this works for all Japanese cars. Just be sure to hold down the detent button (the button on the transmission lever which you use to move the car out of park) and just press the ignition at the same time like you normally would. This will leave all electronics on but shut off the engine. The car will beep to warn you if you leave without turning off the electrinics first. From this point, to shut off electronics you press the ignition button again with your foot off the brake, or the car will start as normal if the brake is depressed.

^That's cool and useful GJ but what about those of us with the old shifter that was void of any buttons..love that old shifter but this would definitely be a reason to warm up to the new one:)

^That's cool and useful GJ but what about those of us with the old shifter that was void of any buttons..love that old shifter but this would definitely be a reason to warm up to the new one:)

lol. I prefer the new one. easier to just move the lever straight down and I think it looks cleaner. plus this feature is very handy when you're using bluetooth and playing music but have already reached your destination.

This isn’t a feature and just turning it off when in drive would do the same thing. By holding that button it’s keeping it from thinking it’s in park. You actually then have to turn it on then back off again. Mine actually displays a message indicating to put the vehicle in park if I do this even with it in the park position.

I just push the start button once and it turns everything on after shutting the engine off. Also works without turning the engine on. I use this feature when I update my NAV all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you want to keep the ignition on?

Not the ignition but the ACC mode.

I don't know about others but occasionally I like to listen to music while I sit waiting for whatever I'm waiting for, normally my wife. No reason to have the motor running.

I don't know about others but occasionally I like to listen to music while I sit waiting for whatever I'm waiting for, normally my wife. No reason to have the motor running.

Me too but I just press the start button once.

lol. I prefer the new one. easier to just move the lever straight down and I think it looks cleaner. plus this feature is very handy when you're using bluetooth and playing music but have already reached your destination.

To each their own. Much prefer my older version.

Never have to look at it to see if it's in R or N or D when using it. Very intuitive.

I agree. Idling is innefficient and bad for your motor. Idling when your engine is warm uses about the same amount of fuel as driving on the highway using light throttle. When you first start the car and it runs rich to warm up the cats, you are using a lot of fuel. Its best to just drive off right away in that instance.

Me too but I just press the start button once.

I used to always do that, but it resets your music list or disconnects the Bluetooth call. Super annoying, so I just hold the detent button instead.

Back