CD Player in a 2017

See, it's not 'all this work, just for a cd player', it's all this work just for MY cd player. There is a big difference.

Yes, but even before they were able to make CD players that would fit into cars, we had to find ways to rig up the PORTABLE CD player to play in a car.

Typically mounting one end of a flexible arm like this one to a piece of the dash or center console so you could mount your CD player on the other end of the flexible arm, and play CD's thru your CASSETTE Tape slot. Of course all of this would only work on smooth roads without any bumps. (nana)

A true audiophile will always find a way...

51ti-kA6jRL.jpg

r6yue4w5y4ry541.jpg
Hooking up portable is fine.

I wouldn't change the dash just to have a CD player.

Each to their own

Wild! I can respect someone who knows what they want and are willing to put in the effort to get it. Post pics of the process! You never know who else will find it useful...

Lots of folks still love vinyl, nothing wrong with that. I don't know the figures, but I'd bet more than half of CX-5's are sold with the CD player. As I live in America, I've no choice on standard - but do have a choice on how to modify. Good lord, 8 out of 10 people on this forum do mods on their vehicles....if you want it, do it/get it. MP3's and such are phone cameras vs DSLR's. While they've come a long way - there is (still) no comparison in my view. Artists spend months and millions to record music and people today download, stream, and record on stuff I would not consider (I vote for Neil Young - that Panos was a total failure, but Neil had the right idea).

I had time today to look more into the dash and it comes apart no issue. It's easy and that metal bracket will not be needed from what I can tell. I had it out in about 15 minutes. I'll let this audio guy give me his opinion and think the cd player can be held in place with the plastic surround of some of the inner pieces. And whoever said 'there is no slot' is not correct. Everything is there for some sort of 1/2 DIN box - the markets other than Canada/USA just don't get the CD player.

My CD player, lined up with the removable dash piece actually looks straight forward now that I had everything apart today....there is a pretty obvious 'section' of plastic on the back side that is the cut away part.

I don't want to start a war - I was just asking if others have tried what I am contemplating - if you have a template, cool, but I don't think I need one now...if you want a portable cd player, MP3, thumb drives....awesome, have at it.

AFAIK here, no one has tried it. Has been discussed to varying degree but that is it

I'm curious to know if you had ever contemplated a lightly used 2016 over a 2017 due to the CD player. The 2017 is a significant redesign, but if CD's are this important to you, did you ever think it might be worth the trade off in features/styling?

I'm actually super happy with my used 2014 even more so after driving a 2017 for a week. But I'm also probably replacing the head unit in the near future. However, CD's work great.

I'm considering getting a new CX-5 and would really prefer to use cd's until I get around to converting some music to mp3s. Just curious what the your end result was with this project. Did you finish yet? Thanks.

I'm considering getting a new CX-5 and would really prefer to use cd's until I get around to converting some music to mp3s. Just curious what the your end result was with this project. Did you finish yet? Thanks.
I did. I also finished my collection but I still ended up using Spotify.

I like CD's also but decided to try ripping some onto a flash drive. Used Windows media player and ripped a few as a test. Took about 5 minutes per CD. Plugged the USB into the car's USB port and voila - it works. Albums are segmented and the album art appears. Title, playing time, etc is all there.
I'll do a few more and increase the format to best as opposed to the default which I think is 128k or 1028 (can't remember the exact verbiage). Although to my ear it sounded fine.

Anyway, it's not the end of the world that Mazda is dropping the CD player. I have a bunch of flash drives and I've loaded the test albums onto a 32gb drive. That will handle all my CD's. Have around 40 or so.

One plus is I'll have more storage area in the center console when I remove the CD's.

Anyway, everybody have a safe Thanksgiving.

I like CD's also but decided to try ripping some onto a flash drive. Used Windows media player and ripped a few as a test. Took about 5 minutes per CD. Plugged the USB into the car's USB port and voila - it works. Albums are segmented and the album art appears. Title, playing time, etc is all there.
I'll do a few more and increase the format to best as opposed to the default which I think is 128k or 1028 (can't remember the exact verbiage). Although to my ear it sounded fine.

Anyway, it's not the end of the world that Mazda is dropping the CD player. I have a bunch of flash drives and I've loaded the test albums onto a 32gb drive. That will handle all my CD's. Have around 40 or so.

One plus is I'll have more storage area in the center console when I remove the CD's.

Anyway, everybody have a safe Thanksgiving.

40 CD's at 128 kbps only takes up about 2.8 gigs at most (74 minutes * 960 kbpm * 40). In reality most CD's are shorter so even less. No need for that 32 gb drive and use a higher bit rate for even better quality :)

40 CD's at 128 kbps only takes up about 2.8 gigs at most (74 minutes * 960 kbpm * 40). In reality most CD's are shorter so even less. No need for that 32 gb drive and use a higher bit rate for even better quality :)

The 128K is not the size of the CD, it's the RIP quality. Each CD takes anywhere between 30meg - 70meg. Even with that I can fit a lot on a 32gig drive.

After running around a bit, I finally found a good guy and he didn't hesitate about my quest on a CD install (CD's are all he listens to, although he installs about anything). There is a great upholstery shop nearby and this guy does all their stereo installs. Some AMAZING vehicles there and while they do upholstery, they do lots of general mods - and this guy does their sound systems. It wasn't just a CD player, I wanted the entire after-market system I had from my 2014 CX-5 (minus the CD player). His wife has a Mazda 6, so that was a good start....

He was a couple weeks out and the Thanksgiving weekend, etc. I had my car in for two days and the result was real nice - the Eonon Player is mounted perfect and he put in a sub control in the small front/center console space (where you'd throw your keys...in front of the shifter). In addition, he mounted a clean on/off switch there for some front passenger floor wells lights that I bought. These were inexpensive LED's and add a real nice 'mood' glow to the wells - they are adjustable and you can turn up/down the 'glow'...or 'off' during the day.

Amp, crossovers, in-line converter are under the seat. Box sub in the rear - male/female plug so I can remove easy when I need to. Tweeters/4 mids replace the factory Bose. The other 6(?) factory units are still in - but are irrelevant and I'll remove the factory sub. It's all basic stuff and any Car Toys has any of this ....but I wanted a clean install (it is), loud is important, but 'clean' is much more so.....it has a very low volume 'hiss' that I can't seem to figure - but he knows and (hopefully) will address. (I just picked the car up 2 days ago, and didn't have a chance to give it a thorough listen.....). I was 100% happy with the CD install - it looks very factory and from what I can tell, was about the easiest part of it. He heated up the leather/glue, pealed it back, cut the horizontal hole, cut to fit - little at a time, and tucked the leather back in and around the player. Mounted and screwed into the pre-existing plastic piece (hidden behind dash). All the other stuff was the time consuming part - as is any after market stereo.

I am very happy and the results are a big, bumping, clean, full, highly tuneable sound. (The low volume hiss notwithstanding.....). Any good aftermarket stereo is considerably nicer than a factory unit and this is no different. It came outta my old CX-5, so I knew how it would sound - and this was pretty much correct. One thing I am disappointed about is the Eonon - it has but two lights - one on the 'power' and 'eject' button? Really? At night, my fingers fumble trying to press 'next' (or whatever). It also lacks a 'fast forward' button (as I don't necessarily like to listen to 5 minutes of live music intro banter.....). So....I might get another 1/2 din player that provides these - I didn't really think a player would not have these type of things and choices are pretty slim. I'll post a photo or two if I get around to it.....I'm happy and it's not a big deal to install a 1/2 din unit if you want/need that style of player (it's all in the car already). Again, no wars.......if you like flash drives, MP3's, ripping, burning, have at it.

The 128K is not the size of the CD, it's the RIP quality. Each CD takes anywhere between 30meg - 70meg. Even with that I can fit a lot on a 32gig drive.

Yes - that's my point. 32 gig is overkill. 128 kbps is actually fairly middling quality - go into the 300s. You'll still have tons of space with only 40 cd's. At 70 mb/cd you can put 457 on there...

Is there a good PORTABLE CD player that would work with the USB port on the 2017+ CX5s?

Is USB or Aux the better input? Can you use Bluetooth for CD playing?

I've had my '17 CX-5 for 2 weeks, and I was about 2 days in before I realized it didn't even have a CD player. I've been using my phone to listen to music in my 2011 Rav4 through the AUX port for about 3 years. I was so glad the CX-5 had bluetooth so I didn't need to have any AUX cords hanging around!!

I've had my '17 CX-5 for 2 weeks, and I was about 2 days in before I realized it didn't even have a CD player. I've been using my phone to listen to music in my 2011 Rav4 through the AUX port for about 3 years. I was so glad the CX-5 had bluetooth so I didn't need to have any AUX cords hanging around!!

I was using a Bluetooth speaker attached to the visor. I'm loving having a real stereo again.

IskiE

Yes - that's my point. 32 gig is overkill. 128 kbps is actually fairly middling quality - go into the 300s. You'll still have tons of space with only 40 cd's. At 70 mb/cd you can put 457 on there...
You should not be ripping to 128. It's awful compared to 320's. Space is cheap. Go big.

Back