Power steering problems?

mykvr6

:
2015 CX-5 Touring
I have a 2015 CX-5 with 43k miles on it. Has anyone had power steering issues with their CX-5? I tried searching but could not find anything specific to the cx-5, I found some stuff but I think it applied to the mazda3. Ive had an issue where it feels like the power steering doesn't have any assist. It did it a couple times last year when the weather got cool, it would be super stiff when I first got in the car in the morning or after it had been sitting for awhile. Did it a couple times. Was fine all summer once the weather warmed up. Now its been cool a couple days down here in Texas and its done it a couple times again. Felt like it had no assist when I first started it up. But its not always on a first start up, this morning first thing cold and it was fine. Its intermittent at best so I can't say that's it just because of the temp. Last winter when it did it I thought it had something to do with the temps and the fluid. But I realized it doesn't have fluid at all right? Just the power assist motor?

Has anyone else had this happen?

I got my 17 cx-5 last month, I am in Canada. I just noticed my steering got stiff recently.
The temperature here did go down below 0 c sometimes at night now, so I guess it's the temperature?

Yeah... I can't think offhand of hearing about any power steering issues. I'll have to look in manual and/pr FSM unless someone beats me to it if there is any warning indicator for power steering malfunctions. Assuming it isn't temp related....

I think there is a warning light for a power steering fault but it has never turned on in my CX5. Just did it a few times here and there. And it feels VERY stiff, like there is no power assist at all. That's why I was thinking it was something worse than just having to do with tire pressures etc. And when I say cold or cool, Im in Houston TX so no where near 0C lol. I'm talking like 70 degrees. Not really even cold at all in the grand scheme of things

Here is a stretch but I will throw it out there anyway

Do you still have the stock battery ?

One of my quads has electronic power steering ... When voltage is low such as using the winch it deactivates the power steering ... but you get a warning light in that case

I think there is a warning light for a power steering fault but it has never turned on in my CX5. Just did it a few times here and there. And it feels VERY stiff, like there is no power assist at all. That's why I was thinking it was something worse than just having to do with tire pressures etc. And when I say cold or cool, Im in Houston TX so no where near 0C lol. I'm talking like 70 degrees. Not really even cold at all in the grand scheme of things

how long after startup does it stay stiff?
If it's a few seconds, I wouldn't worry about it.

I got my 17 cx-5 last month, I am in Canada. I just noticed my steering got stiff recently.
The temperature here did go down below 0 c sometimes at night now, so I guess it's the temperature?

absolutely not, it is a failing power steering unit. or perhaps some sort of electrical connection issue.

I live in canada, and never experienced anything like this with my 2015 Mazda 6 (50k miles on the clock)

my 6 sedan has the same power steering unit as your CX-5.

how long after startup does it stay stiff?
If it's a few seconds, I wouldn't worry about it.

no, that's not normal. I've never experienced anything like this and would recommend OP to get his power steering inspected.

I guess we'll see what happens. Ive been on the verge of getting rid of it anyway, taking it to the dealer for a major repair not under warranty isnt really an option. It may just end up traded in lol. I wonder if the power steering system logs any codes without the light coming on? I need to get in there and inspect all the parts. Maybe its something simple.

I guess we'll see what happens. Ive been on the verge of getting rid of it anyway, taking it to the dealer for a major repair not under warranty isnt really an option. It may just end up traded in lol. I wonder if the power steering system logs any codes without the light coming on? I need to get in there and inspect all the parts. Maybe its something simple.

Lots of tests and troubleshooting in FSM... need an expensive Mazda M-MDS . Wish there was some cheaper options for the shade-tree mechanic with M-MDS... lots of very cheap offerings for Toyota/Lexus & Techstream that work

Back