How To Eliminate Your Blind Spot

Hey do you remember the clip-on race inspired wide angle rear view mirrors?

You mean the ones that clipped on to the windshield mirror? Yup. Still have one I bought from JC Whitney about 35 years ago. Sun visors would get in the way, though, was too big.

Yeah, I remember him. My port mirror is adjusted so that as a vehicle passing is leaving the interior rear view mirror it appears in the door mirror, and before disappearing in the door mirror appears in my peripheral vision. Is this safer than being able to see your door exterior? Yes. Does it mean you can change lanes without a shoulder check? No.

Firstly, this arrangement does NOT protect you on multi-lane roads where your mirrors cover the lane beside you but not anyone from two lanes to your left moving into your left lane. Additionally your blind spot has been markedly reduced, but not eliminated as this position creates a blind pocket too large for a car, but just right for a motorcycle. Keep looking over your shoulder.

Brian

I drove my friends Forrester a few days ago. Way better vision out of the Forrester compared to my CX5. I like my cx5, and I hate it's blindspots. Really wish we had the windows of the Forrester!

I drove my friends Forrester a few days ago. Way better vision out of the Forrester compared to my CX5. I like my cx5, and I hate it's blindspots. Really wish we had the windows of the Forrester!

Love the mirrors on the CX-5/Mazda 6 though. They look nice being all shapely and aerodynamic, and I love how its Mounted to the door for better aerodynamics and a cleaner look. This allowed them to make the mirrors bigger without sacrificing aerodynamics and creating excessive wind noise, and I find that the mirrors work very well for me. They are bigger then other cars I have been in, big enough where I cant recall the last time I was unsure and needing to look over my shoulder. I literally dont seem to have a blindspot.

Now in my BMW I sometimes have to look over my shoulder, but the blindspot is so small that if youre using your spatial awareness and dont see the car in your mirror anymore, a quick look over your shoulder will confirm that the car is indeed in your blindspot, or slowly passing you etc.

Now in the Mercedes I drove with its stubby little mirrors, I would have to look over my shoulder to be safe all the time. Made me less confident then driving my two cars.

Love the mirrors on the CX-5/Mazda 6 though. They look nice being all shapely and aerodynamic, and I love how its Mounted to the door for better aerodynamics and a cleaner look. This allowed them to make the mirrors bigger without sacrificing aerodynamics and creating excessive wind noise, and I find that the mirrors work very well for me. They are bigger then other cars I have been in, big enough where I cant recall the last time I was unsure and needing to look over my shoulder. I literally dont seem to have a blindspot.

Now in my BMW I sometimes have to look over my shoulder, but the blindspot is so small that if youre using your spatial awareness and dont see the car in your mirror anymore, a quick look over your shoulder will confirm that the car is indeed in your blindspot, or slowly passing you etc.

Now in the Mercedes I drove with its stubby little mirrors, I would have to look over my shoulder to be safe all the time. Made me less confident then driving my two cars.

Maybe the 6 is fine, but the CX-5 has a huge blind spot. I've had a Miata fully hide from me in my blind spot.
I knew it was there, but I couldn't see it. It was below the "belt line" of the car, so even looking over my shoulder I couldn't see it.

The mirrors on the CX-5 (at least on my 2013) are a terrible design. I have my passenger side mirror adjusted out so far that about 0.5" of the mirror reflects the inside of the housing, but I still see the side of my car. If I try to adjust them out wider, I just see more of the mirror housing in the mirror.

I've always thought the mirrors were mounted on the doors to help improve forward visibility, at the expense of wind noise, worse aerodynamics and mirror vibration on earlier CX-5's.

Maybe the 6 is fine, but the CX-5 has a huge blind spot. I've had a Miata fully hide from me in my blind spot.
I knew it was there, but I couldn't see it. It was below the "belt line" of the car, so even looking over my shoulder I couldn't see it.

The mirrors on the CX-5 (at least on my 2013) are a terrible design. I have my passenger side mirror adjusted out so far that about 0.5" of the mirror reflects the inside of the housing, but I still see the side of my car. If I try to adjust them out wider, I just see more of the mirror housing in the mirror.

I've always thought the mirrors were mounted on the doors to help improve forward visibility, at the expense of wind noise, worse aerodynamics and mirror vibration on earlier CX-5's.

Maybe its because the 6 is lower or something? I just looked up some pics, and the mirror shape/design on your car is identical to mine.

Basically all modern cars have the mirror mounted on the door because it improves aerodynamics which consequently reduces wind noise. Driving 100km/h on the highway with my front windows partially open, I get significantly less wind noise then in my older BMW because the air can just flow in between the door and mirror. It helps with aerodynamics noticeably.

The CX5 does have some serious blind spots. They're worse than on my QX70. The QX's mirror will whistle occasionally, but that's usually when a bit of water is on the mirror housing.

Other than the door, where else is a side-view mirror located? (uhm) Are you really meaning above or below the beltline?

The CX5 does have some serious blind spots. They're worse than on my QX70. The QX's mirror will whistle occasionally, but that's usually when a bit of water is on the mirror housing.

Other than the door, where else is a side-view mirror located? (uhm) Are you really meaning above or below the beltline?

Yes. Before everyone went crazy about optimal aerodynamics, manufacturers were simply tacking on mirrors just above the belt-line.

Thats very strange, because my 6 has the exact same mirrors yet Ive been very pleased with how well they are eliminating my blind spot. Perhaps Mazda just designed a mirror that works well for the lower/smaller Mazda 3 or 6 and didnt bother to make any adjustments for the CX-5? Or maybe the CX-5s body panels are just causing poor blind spots? I dont know, but I ever expected it to be this bad for the CX-5.

I'm sure using the same mirror across several models is all about cost-sharing. A big reason for the blind spots on the CX5 is simply due to the design of the rear end (we can blame the Murano for this fad). Mazda has never been shy about choosing fashion over form.

The CRV has been using mirrors mounted above the belt-line for years... and I feel our 2015 CRV has far smaller blind spots than my CX5 had. I haven't driven a Gen 3 6, but I did have a Gen 3 3 hatchback, and the blind spots were pretty bad too... not sure if they were worse than the CX5 though.

Mazdas mirrors are nice and big, take advantage of them.

If you position your mirrors so that you cant see the sides/door of your car, you are virtually eliminating your blind spot. Try it out!

I havent had to look over my shoulder to safely merge ever since.
You are correct and I have been doing this for over 30 years. This will allow you to see the car coming up on you with zero blind spots as it transitions from your rear view mirror to the drivers side one. Plenty of info supporting this method.

I’ve always angled my side mirrors so when the car disappears in the center rear view mirror I can see it in the side mirror when the car move past my side view mirror, I can then see the car right out my window.. no blind spots.... common sense.....

Last edited:
I always glance over my shoulder before moving. As mentioned previously, its the vehicle from two lanes over that decided to move into the left lane you were planning to move into as well. People nowadays start signaling as they are moving and not giving any warning to others.

I’ve always angled my side mirrors so when the car disappears in the center rear view mirror I can see it in the side mirror when the car move past my side view mirror, I can then see the car right out my window.. no blind spots.... common sense.....

This is the ONLY correct way to adjust your mirrors.

Since we are empty nesters I keep the rear head rest removed. I wish they flipped down when not in use since they block a lot of the rear window.

^ This ^

Back