How To Eliminate Your Blind Spot

I set my mirrors like most of you here. The outside mirrors are angled out to cover the blind spot.
I also use those little 2 inch convex stick on mirrors from Wal-Mart. They are very useful.
Having said that, I can't believe some of you never do a shoulder check.
I've had a ton of drivers cut in front of me when they don't bother moving their head to have a look.
Pisses me off. It's so easy, and doesn't cost you anything. Just do it.
That's also why I never drive in someone else's blind spot.
I either move up next to them, or drop back. Safer that way.
Cheers.

When I first drove a Miata with the top down the first thing I noticed...ZERO blind spots!!!

I set my mirrors like most of you here. The outside mirrors are angled out to cover the blind spot.
I also use those little 2 inch convex stick on mirrors from Wal-Mart. They are very useful.
Having said that, I can't believe some of you never do a shoulder check.
I've had a ton of drivers cut in front of me when they don't bother moving their head to have a look.
Pisses me off. It's so easy, and doesn't cost you anything. Just do it.
That's also why I never drive in someone else's blind spot.
I either move up next to them, or drop back. Safer that way.
Cheers.

I’ve simply never had to look over my shoulder wth these mirrors. You can easily tell if there is enough space to change lanes or not, and when the car slowly passes you you see it dissapear from your mirror then you see it pop up near the side of your car. I don’t even have a blind spot.

I’ve simply never had to look over my shoulder wth these mirrors. You can easily tell if there is enough space to change lanes or not, and when the car slowly passes you you see it dissapear from your mirror then you see it pop up near the side of your car. I don’t even have a blind spot.

What you mention on how to set your mirror is absolutely on point, but you should dial back on telling people not to do a head check.
There is no such thing as no blind spot, even in the front. Setting mirrors and everything correctly just minimize your blind spots so larger objects cannot hide in it, smaller object like a biker could still be inside your blind spot.
Don't look over your shoulder or whatever, you do you, but just stop encourage people to stop turning their head just because mirrors are set correctly.

What you mention on how to set your mirror is absolutely on point, but you should dial back on telling people not to do a head check.
There is no such thing as no blind spot, even in the front. Setting mirrors and everything correctly just minimize your blind spots so larger objects cannot hide in it, smaller object like a biker could still be inside your blind spot.
Don't look over your shoulder or whatever, you do you, but just stop encourage people to stop turning their head just because mirrors are set correctly.

I don’t encourage anyone to stop looking over their shoulder, I encourage everyone to set up their mirrors properly. Looking over your shoulder because your mirrors are not properly adjusted is more dangerous then taking full advantage of a properly adjusted mirror.

I don’t encourage anyone to stop looking over their shoulder, I encourage everyone to set up their mirrors properly. Looking over your shoulder because your mirrors are not properly adjusted is more dangerous then taking full advantage of a properly adjusted mirror.

It's not a comparison between the two. Best practice should be setting mirrors correctly AND turning your head to check.
One does not negates the other. Looking over your shoulder should be done regardless of a properly adjusted mirror.

Take my suggestion with a grain of salt as everybody's peripheral vision is slightly different and everybody drives at slightly different ride/seat heights.

That being said, when I was a Navy recruiter, I was required to attend a AAA Driver's Assurance course. One segment was specifically geared towards mirror positioning to reduce (not eliminate) blind spots in a vehicle. These were the instructions we were given and, when I applied them, produced pretty solid results:

1. Place your head against the driver's window and adjust the driver's side mirror until you can just see the car's body. Ensure your up/down angle is not set too low.

2. Move your head until it's in line with your rear-view mirror and look out the passenger's side. Adjust your passenger's side mirror until you can just see the car's body.

With this alignment, I was able to follow a car from the rear-view mirror, to the side-view, to my peripheral; as a car would pass out of view in one mirror, it would pick up almost immediately in the next.

As mentioned before, this is NOT a substitute for turning your head and visually checking your blind spots, but it will minimize the time that one of your mirrors won't pick up a vehicle.

Here's the video for those who would prefer a visual aid:

Last edited:
I really don’t need to follow any advice on adjusting mirrors any more than I do adjusting my seat. There is nothing past blatantly obvious in this thread.

I really dont need to follow any advice on adjusting mirrors any more than I do adjusting my seat. There is nothing past blatantly obvious in this thread.

Coming soon from the Molester: a new tutorial thread on how and when to fill up your windshield washer fluid bottle,
and what type of fluid to use depending on what climate you live in. Stay tuned.

I am aware of the method of setting the side mirrors to look further out, to help with reducing blind spots. The issue is that I share the CX-5 with my wife and she cannot drive with the mirrors set that way. In our case, a shoulder check before changing lanes will suffice. It helps that our cars come with blind-spot monitoring. One thing the mirrors can't do that the BSM can, is spot cars driving in your blindspot at night even if their headlights are off.

One thing the mirrors can't do that the BSM can, is spot idiots driving in your blindspot at night, even if their headlights are off.

As a Canadian that spends a fair amount of time in the U.S. (winters in Florida), that is one of my main pet peeves about American drivers.
What is it about you folks that you won't turn your lights on in crappy weather or at dusk?
You are all but invisible in those conditions, especially since you don't have DRL's (that's a separate argument).
I hear the old adage that turning on my lights doesn't help me see, well, I keep saying over and over again (yes, I know. I'm preaching):
it's not about you being able to see, it's about you being able to be seen by others.
I want to be able to see you, especially in heavy traffic. Please turn on your lights.
Thankyou.

As a Canadian that spends a fair amount of time in the U.S. (winters in Florida), that is one of my main pet peeves about American drivers.
What is it about you folks that you won't turn your lights on in crappy weather or at dusk?
You are all but invisible in those conditions, especially since you don't have DRL's (that's a separate argument).
I hear the old adage that turning on my lights doesn't help me see, well, I keep saying over and over again (yes, I know. I'm preaching):
it's not about you being able to see, it's about you being able to be seen by others.
I want to be able to see you, especially in heavy traffic. Please turn on your lights.
Thankyou.

What do you mean "you folks" LOL. Just kidding.

You should not leave out the not signaling, talking on the cell phone, mascara/lip stick application, brake lights not working drivers. I come across my fellow American drivers like that every day.

You should not leave out the not signaling, talking on the cell phone, mascara/lip stick application, brake lights not working drivers. I come across my fellow American drivers like that every day.

And driving in Denver logic: Raining? Drive 15 MPH. Snowing? Drive 20 MPH over speed limit and flip your truck into a ditch! (lol)

When I lived in Germany that stuff gets you pulled over quickly, especially car malfunctions (blinker/brake light etc). Here in TX the cops run around in non descript vehicles handing out speeding tickets while all of the blatant fail inspection cars drive right around them. Very very different application...

And driving in Denver logic: Raining? Drive 15 MPH. Snowing? Drive 20 MPH over speed limit and flip your truck into a ditch! (lol)

Haven't been to Denver but those with Colorado plates in my region sure do drive pretty aggressive.

When I lived in Germany that stuff gets you pulled over quickly, especially car malfunctions (blinker/brake light etc). Here in TX the cops run around in non descript vehicles handing out speeding tickets while all of the blatant fail inspection cars drive right around them. Very very different application...

Non-Working brake lights. gotta love them drivers. Would be shocked if their cars don't give them an error light message. I mean I for damn sure want the dude behind me (esp tailgaters) to know I'm slowing down and stopping.

Ha ha. I was trying to be kind by not mentioning those other traits. I didn't want to be accused of being another "Molester" from Canada.
Stuff like this happens in my hometown as well, but not close to the degree I see down here (I'm currently in Orlando).
I was actually wondering if signal lights were an option on vehicles down here because most of them don't seem to have any...lol.
As for the other stuff, oh ya, seen plenty of that too.
I've lost count of how many times cars stay stationary around here after a light turns green.
I was in a left turn lane yesterday, sitting about ten cars back, when the left turn arrow came on.
Only two cars made it through. Both of them were either asleep at the wheel, or distracted (I'm voting distracted). Lots of horn honking.
As a visitor with Ontario plates, I'm extremely hesitant to honk my horn or show my frustration at anyone. You never know who has a loose temper and a gun around here.
I just grin and bear it.

Thankyou.
I have not driven in Florida yet, though but I think it has to do with the retiree population there, not really sure.

I think most (not all) of the driving population in America just doesn't take the act of driving seriously. I see people not putting on their seatbelts until they get up to speed. I see people using/looking at their phones while going through traffic intersections at speed. I see people putting on makeup in stop and go traffic (seeing a driver behind me doing this really makes me worried that I'm going to get rear-ended). I've seen someone eating pizza while driving on the highway. (He had the pizza box on his lap and was eating pretty comfortably if I might add.) I see people not doing any shoulder checks before changing lanes. This has happened a lot to me and is one of my pet peeves here in Texas. A blind spot monitor on the car probably would have helped, but they don't even turn on their signal lights, so it wouldn't have beeped at them.

Haven't been to Denver but those with Colorado plates in my region sure do drive pretty aggressive.

Sadly that's very true.

Still I'd argue the absolute worst drivers I've ever encountered are in Utah and Salt Lake City. Way worse than the few times I drove in the CA bay area and way worse than Denver.

I have not driven in Florida yet, though but I think it has to do with the retiree population there, not really sure.

The old folks tend to drive slowly, I can't argue that,
but it's not the retirees that are texting, eating, putting on their makeup, not signaling, cutting off others in traffic, or talking on cell phones while driving.
That stuff is a young persons domain.

Back