How To Eliminate Your Blind Spot

GJ-Molestor

Banned
:
2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual
Mazdas mirrors are nice and big, take advantage of them.

If you position your mirrors so that you cant see the sides/door of your car, you are virtually eliminating your blind spot. Try it out!

I havent had to look over my shoulder to safely merge ever since.

Uhh really? You are either a troll (the likely story) or believe you are somehow providing a useful "How To"?

No, you don't fully eliminate your blind spot, and I hope I am never driving on the same road as you.

Drive safely folks.

Another weird post from this guy.

Next week, how to lock unlock your mazda followed by how to get in and out of the car.

Next week, how to lock unlock your mazda followed by how to get in and out of the car.

What's a key fob? (lol2)

Also, as a 'merican, probably do need some help in and out of the car. Hold on just spilled my big gulp. Hey! The dog just ran away with my donuts! (rofl)

/sarcasm

Last edited:
Uhh really? You are either a troll (the likely story) or believe you are somehow providing a useful "How To"?

No, you don't fully eliminate your blind spot, and I hope I am never driving on the same road as you.

Drive safely folks.

Another weird post from this guy.

Well Im sorry that not everyone is as humbly experienced with these cars as you are! Its a useful tip and Im sure that most of the clueless consumers on here dont have their mirrors setup properly. Give it a break.

Since my posts are so bad and obvious, why dont you make a post of your own? No seriously, Im waiting dude. Youve talked enough s*** already...

Setting the mirrors so that you cannot see the car door is not necessarily too wide. If you move the mirror past that, then yes its too wide and you will not eliminate your blind spot.

Personally, I find that it depends on the shape of the mirror. With some cars even if I have the side mirror angled correctly I will still need to look over my shoulder sometimes to be safe, but with this Mazda Ive literally never had to look over once. The mirror is so wide you see everything if its setup correctly.. its great compared to the stubby little side mirrors im used to.

Now I do agree that you shouldnt rely on a mirror instead of looking over your shoulder, but taking this tip into consideration you will find yourself looking over your shoulder less often. Yes it may be safer to physically check, but you are taking your eyes off the road when you do this, which can be dangerous even for that split second.

Generally if you sit in your seat and look into each mirror as you normally would, if you can just see the door handle of the vehicle, your mirrors are set right. I generally set them so that the side literally just goes out of view, and all you can see is the protruding door handle. In this car's case, the rear fender flares/haunches seem to poke out a bit, so I can see that as well. But yeah, if you set them up while seated correctly, looking at them how you would in a traffic situation, and can only see door handle, or the side just goes out of view, that would be relatively correct. I've seen some people who were around my dimensions, with like a third of their mirror solely showing their own bodywork when I sat in; that really doesn't do you any good, hahaha.

Also, why would anyone ever suggest leaning all the way to either side and eliminating the vehicle from the mirror from that angle? That doesn't even make sense, hahaha. Would throw off your BSD, and also add massive interior blindspots as suggested in that link.

Setting your mirrors right also doesn't mean you shouldn't shoulder check; you absolutely should always shoulder check before moving into another lane, or before making a turn (especially at neighbourhood intersections where pedestrians and cyclists can get caught in your blind spots pretty easily with their small profile)

Since my posts are so bad and obvious, why don’t you make a post of your own? No seriously, I’m waiting dude. You’ve talked enough s*** already...

Now I do agree that you shouldn’t rely on a mirror instead of looking over your shoulder, but taking this tip into consideration you will find yourself looking over your shoulder less often. Yes it may be safer to physically check, but you are taking your eyes off the road when you do this, which can be dangerous even for that split second.

Why? So I can pretend to be some sort of "expert" like you do? (lol2)

Anyway I guess I'm on the side that says still look. I've got my mirrors setup properly and I use them first, but a quick glance confirms. It just takes one time of either driving a little too tired and not looking over, or being too overconfident and not looking for disaster to happen.

Drive safely folks.

There used to be a auto blog from a gentleman from your part of the world up in Canada named Phil Bailey, old race car driver and garage owner, who suggested the same thing, only position your mirrors outward enough so you DON'T see the sides of your car. The kid isn't too far off base on this one. Cut him some slack.

There used to be a auto blog from a gentleman from your part of the world up in Canada named Phil Bailey, old race car driver and garage owner, who suggested the same thing, only position your mirrors outward enough so you DON'T see the sides of your car. The kid isn't too far off base on this one. Cut him some slack.
Eh, if you say so. That's pretty much how my mirrors are. Still wouldn't think of not looking.

I will take my leave from this thread.

Last edited:
No matter how good your mirrors are aimed, you must ALWAYS look over your shoulder before changing lanes. I'd say let natural selection take it's course on those that don't, but you're risking the lives of others too.

No matter how good your mirrors are aimed, you must ALWAYS look over your shoulder before changing lanes. I'd say let natural selection take it's course on those that don't, but you're risking the lives of others too.

This. Even with BSM (my fav feature) in mirrors, I still look over. A good habit to teach new young drivers...actually experienced ones too.

Yup even with BSM and my mirrors adjusted out, it's second nature to look over my shoulder. No matter how well you've had it adjusted you should always look! I've had enough idiots merge into my lane while I'm next to them. You should not be telling people not to look over their shoulder anymore because you can see cars in your mirrors, that's just an accident waiting to happen.

This. Even with BSM (my fav feature) in mirrors, I still look over. A good habit to teach new young drivers...actually experienced ones too.

But an older, more experienced driver just said in another thread that I was a sucker for turning my head. (lol2)

Latest posts

Back