Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

Stickshifter

:
2014 MazdaCX-5 Sport
I want to replace the standard oil drain plug on my 2016 CX 5 with a magnetic one. To determine the exact thread size I searched the internet, incl. EBay and Amazon and I get different answers. I thought M14 - 1.5 was correct but now I also see M12 - 1.5 and M12 - 1.25.
I'd sure appreciate it if someone could tell me the thread size. Obviously I am not looking for the size of the bolt which usually is 17 mm. Many thanks!

Sorry don't know what thread size but do make sure its correct. Don't want to mess up your pan. Hence why I installed a Fumoto valve to eliminate that issue and just install a magnet at the oil filter.

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/f-106.html

I was actually going to recommend looking up the Fumoto part number because it will give you the thread size there. You can go to the front page and enter your car year and model to be on the safe side, but that should be the one for the CX-5. I don't know that they would have changed the thread size, but it's always best to triple check.

To the OP. I've purchased few magnetic plugs through the course, and returned them all. Magnets are not very sticky, or/and they are glued to the inside of the plug. And how do you know what are they glued to with...
Fumoto. Great idea, poor execution. Fram has had much better design, used to be available at Canadian Tire. I had one on one of my ex - vehicles. There was no external valve control, you plug the drain hose, and the valve opens. That's what kills Fumoto design. You get into something nasty, and the next thing you know, the calve is open, even with protection tab on it. Oil is out, and you're out of luck...
Granted, everything is protected by the plastic shield on CX-5, but good luck proving that to the dealer.

Fumoto. Great idea, poor execution. Fram has had much better design, used to be available at Canadian Tire. I had one on one of my ex - vehicles. There was no external valve control, you plug the drain hose, and the valve opens. That's what kills Fumoto design. You get into something nasty, and the next thing you know, the calve is open, even with protection tab on it. Oil is out, and you're out of luck...
Granted, everything is protected by the plastic shield on CX-5, but good luck proving that to the dealer.

Sorry.. maybe I am thinking of other scenarios but not following you here. I have Fumotos on my CX and GX. Unless I nailed something that will do far more damage than opening up the oil valve I can't see where this would open up easily without a special set of circumstances that may demand a lottery ticket purchase.

LC-10.jpg

F103N.jpg

EDIT: I guess don't tell any of your enemies you have a oil drain valve on your vehicle :)

Last edited:
I’ve never really heard of issues with them. That thread is 10 years old so it still seems very limited in failure. I run mine with the little extra black cap as well. Not sure it would really hold in oil but keeps things clean for oil tests. This only works on models with nipple for hose connection. Just my .02....

I know some people don't like Fumoto valves but I use them for the following reasons:

•Easier extraction of oil for testing
•No need to pull my torque wrench and socket wrench out for an oil change
•Used oil goes directly into the container I take to recycler / less work and potential for a mess moving oil around after change.

If I didn't change my own oil I wouldn't bother getting one.

Cons....

• It does take longer to drain oil out
•Debate about whether a small residual amount of oil stays in pan. Not gonna sweat it as that is what the filter is for.

Well, there are other described circumstances, but here's the leaky ball valve...

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=900439

I’ve never really heard of issues with them. That thread is 10 years old so it still seems very limited in failure. I run mine with the little extra black cap as well. Not sure it would really hold in oil but keeps things clean for oil tests. This only works on models with nipple for hose connection. Just my .02....

No issues here and never heard of anyone having a leaky one either. That forum indicates someone whom had an issue upon installation. Sounds like he got a defect one. Its a good idea after installing one to drive around and check for leaks. Probably inspect the valve itself if there's any visible damage prior to installation.

Oh and the switch requires a decent amount of "finger" torque to move.

Back