Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2016 CX5 front leather seat wear issue

2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

It looks like something was has contaminated the leather.

Registered Member

2018, Mazda, CX-5, Snowflake Pearl, Grand Touring

Southern Arizona (40 Miles south of Tucson)
    Quote Originally Posted by swissguy View Post
    I know this thread hasn*t been posted to in a while but I am seeing the exact same problem in my 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT which is not even a year old yet. It*s almost as if the seat just melts if it comes into contact with a warm body and any trace of moisture. I can*t imagine leather would normally be this sensitive.

https://ibb.co/8zT6H8N
    https://ibb.co/x70FVr9
    Leather that is "finished" has a very thin plastic coating on it to make it relatively water and stain proof. Most, if not all, leather vehicle upholstery is finished.

Apparently there is something attacking or deteriorating that plastic finish in your vehicle. It could be something carried on your clothing or a chemical carried in your perspiration.

In addition to what I have already said, you definitely have an active warranty on this car. Three years/36,000 miles, which ever occurs first.

Deteriorating upholstery is not considered "normal" wear and tear during the initial 3 year warranty. At least this is true in the United States.

My CX-5 has white leather and is performing perfectly. Short of some sort of chemical attacking the finish on your leather, it should also be performing perfectly.

Take it back to the dealership and tell them you are unhappy and want Mazda to do something about it. By the way, there are leather experts who can repair that damage and make it totally perfect again. But, and I mean a really big "but", this is a new car still under warranty. The repairing of leather should only be done after the warranty expires and paid by you.

Now is the time for a complete "Bumper to Bumper Warranty" seat replacement.

BTW, working with leather has been one of my hobbies for many years, so I do know a little about it. Granted, Mazda's standard leather is not of the highest quality but the finish is expected to stay intact for at least the length of the Bumper to Bumper warranty period.
    Last edited by David Paul; 07-08-2019 at 03:44 PM.
    2018 CX-5 Grand Touring Snowflake White Pearl----2016 MX-5 GT Soft Top Ceramic White Metallic.

2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

Quote Originally Posted by David Paul View Post
    Leather that is "finished" has a very thin plastic coating on it to make it relatively water and stain proof. Most, if not all, leather vehicle upholstery is finished.

Apparently there is something attacking or deteriorating that plastic finish in your vehicle. It could be something carried on your clothing or a chemical carried in your perspiration.
    My thoughts exactly. Sun tan lotion?

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

I know this thread hasnít been posted to in a while but I am seeing the exact same problem in my 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT which is not even a year old yet. Itís almost as if the seat just melts if it comes into contact with a warm body and any trace of moisture. I canít imagine leather would normally be this sensitive.

https://ibb.co/8zT6H8N
    https://ibb.co/x70FVr9
    That looks like it is made out of paper. Normally leather is a very tough. That has to be covered under the warranty.

Registered Member

I appreciate the responses! Thank you for the insight David Paul! If I do a physical activity and sweat, is it safe to sit on leather seats? I'm trying to understand if I'm completely naive about leather seats and I'm actually doing something to cause this. After I originally noticed the issue after a soccer practice, which was about 6 weeks ago (I was sweaty, but was in the car for the drive home for about 3 mins), I began using a towel on the seat, but since then, more issues have now developed on the sides of the seat, which I had ironically believed to be better materials since the issue started on the perforation.

I took it in to the dealer where I purchased the vehicle 8 months ago and told them I expected all the seats to be replaced under warranty. They said they would have to submit a warranty claim to Mazda and took a picture and sent it in. They called a few days later and told me the claim was denied due to the issue being from "outside/external forces" and not the materials or workmanship. What?!?!?! I can't fathom many "outside forces" which could cause this. It's not like I left the door open and the entire seat got drenched in rain or something. The issue is clearly developing around the areas where my body touches the leather. I plan to take it to another dealer, but at this point, I'm pretty astonished they wouldn't at least replace the seat experiencing the issue.

Here's the latest pics of the issue. You can see it spreading to the outside solid portions of leather now.

Last edited by swissguy; 08-01-2019 at 05:06 PM.

Registered Member

Mazda cx-5 GT AWD

I have the same problem in my 2016. I also got the same response from the dealer.

Mine look MUCH worse than yours.

I strongly suspect that my son's vape caused the problem. I've purchase replacement seat bottoms, but haven't had them installed yet.

The seats seem to be very sensitive to chemicals. It's really my only complaint with the car.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow CX5 front leather seat wear issue

I appreciate the responses! Thank you for the insight David Paul! If I do a physical activity and sweat, is it safe to sit on leather seats? I'm trying to understand if I'm completely naive about leather seats and I'm actually doing something to cause this. After I originally noticed the issue after a soccer practice, which was about 6 weeks ago (I was sweaty, but was in the car for the drive home for about 3 mins), I began using a towel on the seat, but since then, more issues have now developed on the sides of the seat, which I had ironically believed to be better materials since the issue started on the perforation.

I took it in to the dealer where I purchased the vehicle 8 months ago and told them I expected all the seats to be replaced under warranty. They said they would have to submit a warranty claim to Mazda and took a picture and sent it in. They called a few days later and told me the claim was denied due to the issue being from "outside/external forces" and not the materials or workmanship. What?!?!?! I can't fathom many "outside forces" which could cause this. It's not like I left the door open and the entire seat got drenched in rain or something. The issue is clearly developing around the areas where my body touches the leather. I plan to take it to another dealer, but at this point, I'm pretty astonished they wouldn't at least replace the seat experiencing the issue.

Here's the latest pics of the issue. You can see it spreading to the outside solid portions of leather now.
    Yep this's unfortunate experience. But instead of taking to another dealer, you should call Customer Experience Center, Mazda North American Operations directly complaining about the issue. Tell the rep this's not acceptable for an 8-month long vehicle, and you have never had such bad experience on leather seat from other cars you have had. Another Mazda dealer won't do any thing special for you than your purchasing dealer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12