2016 CX5 front leather seat wear issue

:
Mazda, CX5 - GT
My front drivers side white seat back has a weird mark on it. I have been banging my head trying to figure why this has happened. I noticed about 3 weeks ago a small spot on my seat, I took it to Mazda and they did not know what it was at first, they thought it was some type of dirt so they tried to clean it and nothing helped. The body guy finally said the top surface of the seat cover has worn off...maybe from my pants belt loop. Of course it is not covered because of normal wear. They said they could have it dyed by one of their specialty repair shops. I though something may been on my pants when I sat back but they seem to think it is wear.

CX5.PNG

Question is has anyone else had this problem, the CX5 is only 2 years old with 37K on the vehicle. Since that time the area is spreading and I dont like seeing it. I was going to replace the seat but just not sure why this has happened. I have had leather seats for years and never had a wear issue. Mazda did say that the part of the seat is vinyl, not leather.

Appreciate any help.

Last edited:
I would say it’s from some sort of contamination - maybe grease or suntan lotion? You can buy the cover but they are expensive. If it really bugs you take it to an upholsterer. I don’t like sitting on leather and have considered having my Centre panels converted to black alcantara.

That part of the seat should be leather. Interesting that mazda says otherwise. I thought all parts of the seat that contact the body are bonded leather and not vinyl. Meaning the inside of the side bolsters and seat bottom and back section are leather and the sides and back of the seat are vinyl.

Before you replace the seat cover or cushion maybe try taking it to a good detailer and see if they can do something about it. They might have tips or tricks to remove the spot. Possibly steam cleaner and good leather cleaner will do the trick. Steam cleaning on leather can be tricky so make sure you go to someone who knows what they are doing.

Alternately you could try asking the same question over at one of the detailing forums like autopia.org or autogeekonline.net. Those guys over there might be able to offer up some good advice.

Will using things like car seats cause this to happen with the coating wearing off? I have noticed the indentations where the baby seat goes, and also my work back pack. Is there anyway to remove these? I do have the ebony interior.

Just let it shine through now, just let your soul glo ooh..that was one of the best movies of all times
OP: you had to know that leather was gonna be a pita though no? Almost looks singed could it be from the ass warmers? Maybe yo ass is just too hot?

Last edited:
that was my thought originally, something got on the seat and not wear. It has gotten worse over 3 weeks. I am going to try goof off, heard it takes off everything. Just need to apply it lightly and quickly remove it.

What with all the palaver about stains/wear on leather seats thank goodness I only buy cars with non leather seats. It's just too much hassle otherwise. I've had cloth seats for years and never had any problems.

that was my thought originally, something got on the seat and not wear. It has gotten worse over 3 weeks. I am going to try goof off, heard it takes off everything. Just need to apply it lightly and quickly remove it.

You can try shout, laundry product, put some on a clean cloth and gently rub it in and remove with clean cloth.

My front drivers side white seat back has a weird mark on it. I have been banging my head trying to figure why this has happened. I noticed about 3 weeks ago a small spot on my seat, I took it to Mazda and they did not know what it was at first, they thought it was some type of dirt so they tried to clean it and nothing helped. The body guy finally said the top surface of the seat cover has worn off...maybe from my pants belt loop. Of course it is not covered because of normal wear. They said they could have it dyed by one of their specialty repair shops. I though something may been on my pants when I sat back but they seem to think it is wear.

View attachment 217617

Question is has anyone else had this problem, the CX5 is only 2 years old with 37K on the vehicle. Since that time the area is spreading and I dont like seeing it. I was going to replace the seat but just not sure why this has happened. I have had leather seats for years and never had a wear issue. Mazda did say that the part of the seat is vinyl, not leather.

Appreciate any help.

Hey, I know it has been a year, but did you ever come to a resolution on your seat? We have the exact same problem on our CX-5 seats, almost as if the leather is defective and is just melting/peeling off.

I know this thread hasnt been posted to in a while but I am seeing the exact same problem in my 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT which is not even a year old yet. Its almost as if the seat just melts if it comes into contact with a warm body and any trace of moisture. I cant imagine leather would normally be this sensitive.

https://ibb.co/8zT6H8N
https://ibb.co/x70FVr9

My 2007 MAZDA CX7 had leather and during the 7 years and 80,000 miles, I had a few creases but, never a surface degradation issue like this. Ed

I know this thread hasn*t been posted to in a while but I am seeing the exact same problem in my 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT which is not even a year old yet. It*s almost as if the seat just melts if it comes into contact with a warm body and any trace of moisture. I can*t imagine leather would normally be this sensitive.

Ugly! Warranty, no?

I know this thread hasn*t been posted to in a while but I am seeing the exact same problem in my 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT which is not even a year old yet. It*s almost as if the seat just melts if it comes into contact with a warm body and any trace of moisture. I can*t imagine leather would normally be this sensitive.

Leather that is "finished" has a very thin plastic coating on it to make it relatively water and stain proof. Most, if not all, leather vehicle upholstery is finished.

Apparently there is something attacking or deteriorating that plastic finish in your vehicle. It could be something carried on your clothing or a chemical carried in your perspiration.

In addition to what I have already said, you definitely have an active warranty on this car. Three years/36,000 miles, which ever occurs first.

Deteriorating upholstery is not considered "normal" wear and tear during the initial 3 year warranty. At least this is true in the United States.

My CX-5 has white leather and is performing perfectly. Short of some sort of chemical attacking the finish on your leather, it should also be performing perfectly.

Take it back to the dealership and tell them you are unhappy and want Mazda to do something about it. By the way, there are leather experts who can repair that damage and make it totally perfect again. But, and I mean a really big "but", this is a new car still under warranty. The repairing of leather should only be done after the warranty expires and paid by you.

Now is the time for a complete "Bumper to Bumper Warranty" seat replacement.

BTW, working with leather has been one of my hobbies for many years, so I do know a little about it. Granted, Mazda's standard leather is not of the highest quality but the finish is expected to stay intact for at least the length of the Bumper to Bumper warranty period.

Last edited:
Leather that is "finished" has a very thin plastic coating on it to make it relatively water and stain proof. Most, if not all, leather vehicle upholstery is finished.

Apparently there is something attacking or deteriorating that plastic finish in your vehicle. It could be something carried on your clothing or a chemical carried in your perspiration.

My thoughts exactly. Sun tan lotion?

I know this thread hasnt been posted to in a while but I am seeing the exact same problem in my 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT which is not even a year old yet. Its almost as if the seat just melts if it comes into contact with a warm body and any trace of moisture. I cant imagine leather would normally be this sensitive.

That looks like it is made out of paper. Normally leather is a very tough. That has to be covered under the warranty.

I appreciate the responses! Thank you for the insight David Paul! If I do a physical activity and sweat, is it safe to sit on leather seats? I'm trying to understand if I'm completely naive about leather seats and I'm actually doing something to cause this. After I originally noticed the issue after a soccer practice, which was about 6 weeks ago (I was sweaty, but was in the car for the drive home for about 3 mins), I began using a towel on the seat, but since then, more issues have now developed on the sides of the seat, which I had ironically believed to be better materials since the issue started on the perforation.

I took it in to the dealer where I purchased the vehicle 8 months ago and told them I expected all the seats to be replaced under warranty. They said they would have to submit a warranty claim to Mazda and took a picture and sent it in. They called a few days later and told me the claim was denied due to the issue being from "outside/external forces" and not the materials or workmanship. What?!?!?! I can't fathom many "outside forces" which could cause this. It's not like I left the door open and the entire seat got drenched in rain or something. The issue is clearly developing around the areas where my body touches the leather. I plan to take it to another dealer, but at this point, I'm pretty astonished they wouldn't at least replace the seat experiencing the issue.

Here's the latest pics of the issue. You can see it spreading to the outside solid portions of leather now.
IMG-2262.jpg

IMG-2263.jpg

IMG-2264.jpg

IMG-2265.jpg

IMG-2266.jpg

IMG-2267.jpg

Last edited:
Back