Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 CX5 front leather seat wear issue

Registered Member

Mazda, CX5 - GT

2016 CX5 front leather seat wear issue

My front drivers side white seat back has a weird mark on it. I have been banging my head trying to figure why this has happened. I noticed about 3 weeks ago a small spot on my seat, I took it to Mazda and they did not know what it was at first, they thought it was some type of dirt so they tried to clean it and nothing helped. The body guy finally said the top surface of the seat cover has worn off...maybe from my pants belt loop. Of course it is not covered because of normal wear. They said they could have it dyed by one of their specialty repair shops. I though something may been on my pants when I sat back but they seem to think it is wear.

CX5.PNG

Question is has anyone else had this problem, the CX5 is only 2 years old with 37K on the vehicle. Since that time the area is spreading and I dont like seeing it. I was going to replace the seat but just not sure why this has happened. I have had leather seats for years and never had a wear issue. Mazda did say that the part of the seat is vinyl, not leather.

Appreciate any help.
    Last edited by eeyankee; 10-18-2017 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Picture attached.

2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

I would say it’s from some sort of contamination - maybe grease or suntan lotion? You can buy the cover but they are expensive. If it really bugs you take it to an upholsterer. I don’t like sitting on leather and have considered having my Centre panels converted to black alcantara.

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech & i-Activesense

That part of the seat should be leather. Interesting that mazda says otherwise. I thought all parts of the seat that contact the body are bonded leather and not vinyl. Meaning the inside of the side bolsters and seat bottom and back section are leather and the sides and back of the seat are vinyl.

Before you replace the seat cover or cushion maybe try taking it to a good detailer and see if they can do something about it. They might have tips or tricks to remove the spot. Possibly steam cleaner and good leather cleaner will do the trick. Steam cleaning on leather can be tricky so make sure you go to someone who knows what they are doing.

Alternately you could try asking the same question over at one of the detailing forums like autopia.org or autogeekonline.net. Those guys over there might be able to offer up some good advice.
    Just Giver!!!

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring

Will using things like car seats cause this to happen with the coating wearing off? I have noticed the indentations where the baby seat goes, and also my work back pack. Is there anyway to remove these? I do have the ebony interior.

You didn't use a seat protector Jman? Ouch. Not much, if anything, you can do for the baby seat marks. In future:
    https://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Bric...seat+protector

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Soul-Glo?

Registered Member

'16.5 JBM CX-5 AWD GT tech, '19 Veloster N

Just let it shine through now, just let your soul glo ooh..that was one of the best movies of all times
    OP: you had to know that leather was gonna be a pita though no? Almost looks singed could it be from the ass warmers? Maybe yo ass is just too hot?
    Last edited by Monterra; 10-18-2017 at 01:41 PM.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    You didn't use a seat protector Jman? Ouch. Not much, if anything, you can do for the baby seat marks. In future:
    https://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Bric...seat+protector
    Any ideas how to remove backpack (average weight) marks? They're not AWFUL, but they're bothering me. I have no clue what I would put down on the seat for it to sit on. Any thoughts?

Registered Member

Mazda, CX5 - GT

that was my thought originally, something got on the seat and not wear. It has gotten worse over 3 weeks. I am going to try goof off, heard it takes off everything. Just need to apply it lightly and quickly remove it.

Registered Member

2018 CX5 SE-L Nav+ 2WD 2.2D 150hp Auto

What with all the palaver about stains/wear on leather seats thank goodness I only buy cars with non leather seats. It's just too much hassle otherwise. I've had cloth seats for years and never had any problems.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by eeyankee View Post
    that was my thought originally, something got on the seat and not wear. It has gotten worse over 3 weeks. I am going to try goof off, heard it takes off everything. Just need to apply it lightly and quickly remove it.
    You can try shout, laundry product, put some on a clean cloth and gently rub it in and remove with clean cloth.

Registered Member

16 CX-5 GT/10 Mazda 3 HB

Quote Originally Posted by eeyankee View Post
    My front drivers side white seat back has a weird mark on it. I have been banging my head trying to figure why this has happened. I noticed about 3 weeks ago a small spot on my seat, I took it to Mazda and they did not know what it was at first, they thought it was some type of dirt so they tried to clean it and nothing helped. The body guy finally said the top surface of the seat cover has worn off...maybe from my pants belt loop. Of course it is not covered because of normal wear. They said they could have it dyed by one of their specialty repair shops. I though something may been on my pants when I sat back but they seem to think it is wear.

CX5.PNG

Question is has anyone else had this problem, the CX5 is only 2 years old with 37K on the vehicle. Since that time the area is spreading and I dont like seeing it. I was going to replace the seat but just not sure why this has happened. I have had leather seats for years and never had a wear issue. Mazda did say that the part of the seat is vinyl, not leather.

Appreciate any help.
    Hey, I know it has been a year, but did you ever come to a resolution on your seat? We have the exact same problem on our CX-5 seats, almost as if the leather is defective and is just melting/peeling off.

Registered Member

I know this thread hasnít been posted to in a while but I am seeing the exact same problem in my 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT which is not even a year old yet. Itís almost as if the seat just melts if it comes into contact with a warm body and any trace of moisture. I canít imagine leather would normally be this sensitive.

https://ibb.co/8zT6H8N
    https://ibb.co/x70FVr9

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

My 2007 MAZDA CX7 had leather and during the 7 years and 80,000 miles, I had a few creases but, never a surface degradation issue like this. Ed

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by swissguy View Post
    I know this thread hasn*t been posted to in a while but I am seeing the exact same problem in my 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT which is not even a year old yet. It*s almost as if the seat just melts if it comes into contact with a warm body and any trace of moisture. I can*t imagine leather would normally be this sensitive.

https://ibb.co/8zT6H8N
    https://ibb.co/x70FVr9
    Ugly! Warranty, no?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast