2017~2024 More luxury wanted..

I love rearview cam. I dont need the parking sensors in the back if the camera shows me what is behind the vehicle. The lines are also perfect on the rearview screen and i can park in tight spaces tail in first thanks to the camera. I was on vacation in canada and the parking spaces were so tiny that a lot of drivers gave up after trying at this particular spot at the hotel i was staying. Because of the pillar, head in parking was not desirable and 2 other drivers passed up on that last available spot. I successfully parked my cx5 in my first attempt.

As we get more tech amenities, life gets used to those features. Handsfree tailgate is not one of them. Remote engine start is not either.

I am not trying to raise the bar for all trim levels. I just wish i could get more luxury because i feel the gap between what cx5 offers and what mazda is capable of and how much luxury brand vehicles cost with less standard features.

Last edited:
I'll certainly never have a car without a backup camera. Of course I won't, they're mandatory next year in the US. I barely look around anymore. Mazdas camera and the radar assist is simply that good. And the blind spot monitor? That was must have for me. Deal breaker. Wouldn't have bought it if it didn't have them. And it's not even because "it tells me what's in my blind spot". I drive aggressively as I often say. What I like about it is that I know when I fly past you, when that light goes out I can cut in front of you and not cut you off.
You're welcome, other drivers. [emoji6]

Yeah, this post kind of blows my mind. So the BMW is overpriced, but has what you want, but you want the same level of luxury at a lower price when you throw it at another car that is less expensive BECAUSE it isn't full on luxury?

Also, you want what the CX-9 has in the CX-5. Why not just buy the CX-9?

I really get a kick out of what people nitpick about on this forum. I'm just not into super tech loaded cars at all, but I'm obviously a minority. It's just funny when everyone wants something to be on every car when it barely existed five years ago.

Reminds me of Louis C.K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8LaT5Iiwo4

I know right! Its the most ridiculous s*** I have ever seen. All I need is a car with proper dynamics, the less gimmicky bulls*** it has the better. The blind sport monitoring in the Mazda is really good, backup cameras useful, the infotainment computer and thats it... customers who go to Hyundai/Kia instead, sacrificing driving dynamics and chassis stability to get a car with extra stupid features, it just blows my mind. Like going to a Kia because it has a panoramic sunroof? I dont know. Sounds like a general consumer to me.

I am aware that the CX-9 is going to be bigger, but if people seem to value gadgets above all else, it would seem they could overlook that.

I'm just a bumpkin, so even push button starting is basically unnecessary in my eyes. Backup cameras are funny to me. They serve a good purpose, but we all managed to get along for decades without them. Now if a car doesn't have it, people complain. I still turn my head and check in all directions, typically only looking at the screen to make sure it turns off when I put it in drive. Same thing with blind spot monitoring. All it does is tell me what my eyes are already telling me. The only reason I went with the GT was for the leather seats. Everything else is just an extra.

The only real tech I enjoy is bluetooth. I still like CD's, but streaming from your phone is useful and hands free calling is basically a must in this age unless you're the type that just decides not to make any calls at all while driving.

I will say that uploading music to a USB and just popping into the USB slot in the centre console is something much more convenient then using CDs and Im very glad for this feature. You can constantly update your music list quickly without burning, re burning whatever and when the CDs scratch... no thanks.

Push start is convenient I guess, dont mind that feature but I 100% agree with everything else youve mentioned.

For your blind spot, make sure that your side mirrors are positioned so you do not see the sides of your car/doors. This will virtually eliminate your blind spot. Some cars dont have a big or wide mirror like the Mazda does, but in this car or my BMW with its stubby wide mirrors I literally never have to look over my head to check once, blindspot is non existent.

We get both rear camera and sensors here to cover all bases as in if you get distracted and not look at the screen, the sensors will step in

I'll certainly never have a car without a backup camera. Of course I won't, they're mandatory next year in the US. I barely look around anymore. Mazdas camera and the radar assist is simply that good. And the blind spot monitor? That was must have for me. Deal breaker. Wouldn't have bought it if it didn't have them. And it's not even because "it tells me what's in my blind spot". I drive aggressively as I often say. What I like about it is that I know when I fly past you, when that light goes out I can cut in front of you and not cut you off.
You're welcome, other drivers. [emoji6]

I am trying REALLY hard to not read this the wrong way, but what I'm getting from you is "I can't be bothered to have situational awareness and would rather have the car do it for me."

The CX-9 Signature wasn't meant to be a luxury trim level. It only has a few differences from the CX-9 GT, all cosmetic: LED accent lighting, auburn color seats and matching upper dash, and some wood accent pieces around the center console and window controls. That's it. I think the auburn seats and dash upper are the main reason why it's popular, because the black interior in the CX-9 GT is just too much black (even the headliner!) and people who buy family haulers tend to avoid light colored seats. The accent lighting isn't a big deal because you're hardly ever going to see it. The few bits of wood look nice, but ultimately they're pretty trivial. I think if Mazda would just offer the CX-5 GT with a more tasteful interior color combination, not just all black or black/white, then you wouldn't be missing anything important from the CX-9 Signature.

For reference, Mazda says the following:

Driver-assistance features do not replace the drivers judgement and are not to be used in place of skilled and safe driving practices.It is the drivers sole responsibility to monitor vehicle surroundings and conditions and comply with all applicable laws at all times.
i-ACTIVSENSE and other safety technologies are driver assist technologies only and should not be used in place of skilled and safe driving practices. It is the drivers sole responsibility to monitor vehicle surroundings and conditions and comply with all applicable laws at all times.

You have to admit BMW engine and tranny do cost more but the badge drives the price to the next level.

Here is an example of the average consumer, and how primitive/uninformed their view is on other cars.

First off, the way BMW tunes their engine/transmission is the best in the business. Their chassis/suspension tuning is absolutely excellent and similar to mazdas design as is with their transmissions. If BMW is amongst the best at transmission tuning, Mazda with their skyactiv transmission is up there better, then all of its competition.

BMW is a hit or miss company. The v8 and 4 cylinders are all garbage, but their 6 cylinder engines are well designed, efficient and very reliable. You can either end up with a car full of bad little problems like electronics or one thats very solid and reliable. There are owners with the 2006+ series that have 300K miles still running on the naturally aspirated Inline 6 engine.

Its either going to be the nightmare everyone tells you about BMW, or a very reliable car. I have an early model 5 series 2011 with the NA 6 cylinder and not one thing has went wrong with the car with 80k miles currently on the car. Runs very smooth and drives perfect.

Other then Mazda and Nissan, there is no one else who can compete with BMWs luxury edged, sporty dynamics yet excellent dampening over bumps and a smooth stable ride. As with the Mazda 6, BMWs chassis cruises nice with excellent directional stability yet the chassis imperturbably switches between comfort and dynamic mode with the flick of a steering wheel. Mazda (my 2015 model 6 sedan at least) is more nimble weighing 700 pounds less and offering more rear passenger space then the huge 5 series, but the 6 cylinders linear torque at 2500RPM and incredibly fun/balanced RWD handling, and 8 speed ZF goodness is exactly what makes this BMW the most fun you can have driving given its price range. I bought my 528i used perfect condition CPO with 33k miles on the clock for 42K CAD back in 2013, undercutting the ridiculous new price of like $76k... and the car has been awesome.

Those of you who want a good deal on something will last trouble free, look for the N52 or N55 model. any 28i model from 2006-2011, or a 35i starting from 2011 onwards (2007-2010 was a great motor but more problems and less reliable twin turbos)

If the car didnt hop around from owner to owner every 30k, its a solid car.

2011 BMW 528i. The last of the NAs.
10ro3cz.jpg

I am trying REALLY hard to not read this the wrong way, but what I'm getting from you is "I can't be bothered to have situational awareness and would rather have the car do it for me."
Read it however you please.
Not sure what you're referring to so, I'll just comment on both.
Rearview + plus Radar Assist. My "situational awareness"? I walk...to my car. I asses my situation before even getting in my car. In my driveway? I know the situation. I know when to slow down (moving past my home). I'm only moving a few miles an hour. Hell, I posit that I can see better with my camera, then you can with mirrors. The second the ass end of my car clears the house in the right part of my driveway I can see farther to the left and right using that camera then you can with mirrors. That's just a fact. This IMPROVES my situational awareness.
Not to even mention the section of street at the corner in my hood. There's a section of street that is all head in angled parking in the side of the street. Previously, in my backup camera less car, it was always a little unnerving backing into the street, especially if a bigger vehicle is next to you. In the CX-5? It's like having eyes in the back of your head. Especially with the radar. Again, camera trump's mirrors by a huge margin in the scenario.
Blind Spot Mirrors (which Volvo calls BLIS -Blindspot information system). I call it bliss, too. I would argue these are exceptional driving aids. I got situational awareness in spades with these bad boys. You do have them, right? How can you NOT see the advantage in the scenario I explained earlier? I'm doing 75 on the freeway. You're doing 60. I move to pass you on the left. You get into my blind spot, I lose sight of you, but my bliss light comes on. I know you're still there. As I pull away from you I look to my mirror....you know that's where the bliss is, of course. I see you start to show up in my mirror. Lights still on though. Now I can fully see your car, yet the light has not gone out. This tells me if I move in front of you right now, it's probably not safe. The light goes out, I move over. This isn't safer to you?
Obviously, I still use my head to look out the window when in "normal" driving mode. But bliss is fantastic for passing.

They finally added the power lift gate, but now we must have the hands free one? And a pano roof that only the people in the back seat can enjoy?

Leave my CX-5 alone and go buy an Acura.
You can just never please some people.
This. Frankly I don't care one bit for this move towards "luxury". It's losing sight of not only style (just not a fan of new CX-5 style), but just the simplicity and enjoyment of engaged driving.

These are not necessarily luxury items but I would like to see a Birdseye view option for the backup camera. No need for sensors then. Ventilated front seats would be another good addition. Another would be a easy open hood lift with stay open struts like VW has on their Golf Alltrack. Get rid of the support rod.

Just pulled out of the Walgreen's parking lot. You tell me which is more helpful?
2b1df6866c22e4ff79037e65ae3619fb.jpg
059c0b3208a60b588091c8f5cac4f7b9.jpg

Here is an example of the average consumer, and how primitive/uninformed their view is on other cars.

First off, the way BMW tunes their engine/transmission is the best in the business. Their chassis/suspension tuning is absolutely excellent and similar to mazdas design as is with their transmissions. If BMW is amongst the best at transmission tuning, Mazda with their skyactiv transmission is up there better, then all of its competition.

BMW is a hit or miss company. The v8 and 4 cylinders are all garbage, but their 6 cylinder engines are well designed, efficient and very reliable. You can either end up with a car full of bad little problems like electronics or one thats very solid and reliable. There are owners with the 2006+ series that have 300K miles still running on the naturally aspirated Inline 6 engine.

Its either going to be the nightmare everyone tells you about BMW, or a very reliable car. I have an early model 5 series 2011 with the NA 6 cylinder and not one thing has went wrong with the car with 80k miles currently on the car. Runs very smooth and drives perfect.

Other then Mazda and Nissan, there is no one else who can compete with BMWs luxury edged, sporty dynamics yet excellent dampening over bumps and a smooth stable ride. As with the Mazda 6, BMWs chassis cruises nice with excellent directional stability yet the chassis imperturbably switches between comfort and dynamic mode with the flick of a steering wheel. Mazda (my 2015 model 6 sedan at least) is more nimble weighing 700 pounds less and offering more rear passenger space then the huge 5 series, but the 6 cylinders linear torque at 2500RPM and incredibly fun/balanced RWD handling, and 8 speed ZF goodness is exactly what makes this BMW the most fun you can have driving given its price range. I bought my 528i used perfect condition CPO with 33k miles on the clock for 42K CAD back in 2013, undercutting the ridiculous new price of like $76k... and the car has been awesome.

Those of you who want a good deal on something will last trouble free, look for the N52 or N55 model. any 28i model from 2006-2011, or a 35i starting from 2011 onwards (2007-2010 was a great motor but more problems and less reliable twin turbos)

If the car didnt hop around from owner to owner every 30k, its a solid car.

2011 BMW 528i. The last of the NAs.
10ro3cz.jpg

I have had my fair share of BMW ownership from a 2 seater convertible to a sedan to a SUV. All inline 6 cyl.
I also have tracked and autocrossed my bimmers.
In the end, Miatae were more fun than Z3, and CX5's offered a lot more bang for the buck than a $55K X5.
Not to mention, when the thermostat on the X5 went out it cost $800.
The CX5's have been just oil changes and brake pads.
I am not willing to fork over $$$$$$ for another BMW.
I have been happy with the CX5's for 90K miles combined.
But for the next CX5 I was wishing for more luxury for a little more money. I am not asking for free upgrades.
A well equipped CX5 with more luxurious feel for $37K would be more pleasurable to own for me than a $50K X3.

The CX-9 Signature wasn't meant to be a luxury trim level. It only has a few differences from the CX-9 GT, all cosmetic: LED accent lighting, auburn color seats and matching upper dash, and some wood accent pieces around the center console and window controls. That's it. I think the auburn seats and dash upper are the main reason why it's popular, because the black interior in the CX-9 GT is just too much black (even the headliner!) and people who buy family haulers tend to avoid light colored seats. The accent lighting isn't a big deal because you're hardly ever going to see it. The few bits of wood look nice, but ultimately they're pretty trivial. I think if Mazda would just offer the CX-5 GT with a more tasteful interior color combination, not just all black or black/white, then you wouldn't be missing anything important from the CX-9 Signature.

I agree!
I don't like the white seats.
But they need to offer more colors than just black.

Having driven the Jeep with the bendy lines I don't really get what's so great about it. I don't think it really adds anything.
And do we know for a fact Europe has it?

Having driven the Jeep with the bendy lines I don't really get what's so great about it. I don't think it really adds anything.
And do we know for a fact Europe has it?
Well the bendy lines help predict where you'll be turning into which is useful for tight squeezes.

I think one of the posters in the UK had posted that his CX-5 has the curving lines with his backup camera.

Back