2017~2024 More luxury wanted..

:
2017 CX5 GS, 2018 X3 xDrive30i, 2019 Tesla Model 3
after seeing what Mazda can do with cx9 signature trim level, i am wanting a similar level of luxury in my cx5. Audi, BMW, Porsche, Jaguar, MB and Lexus are all overpriced.
Put the 2.5L skyactive turbo in cx5 and make the interior nicer like cx9 and it would still be much cheaper than any of the luxury brand.

CX-5 lacks some features even from non-luxury competitors: Apple Carplay/Android Auto, Remote start, panoramic sunroof, Hands-free power tailgate.

CX-5 lacks some features even from non-luxury competitors: Apple Carplay/Android Auto, Remote start, panoramic sunroof, Hands-free power tailgate.

Where it scores over it’s competitors is that it doesn’t get delivered from the dealer with technical problems.

I think mazda should make cx5 electric PHEV with 45 miles range and rotary or hcci range extender. AWD. Price the variant at 40k USD with top trim 48-50k USD. Give it a 6-6.5 sec to 60. Range extender capacity of 8 gallons with 27-28 mpg would be ideal.

I think mazda should make cx5 electric PHEV with 45 miles range and rotary or hcci range extender. AWD. Price the variant at 40k USD with top trim 48-50k USD. Give it a 6-6.5 sec to 60. Range extender capacity of 8 gallons with 27-28 mpg would be ideal.
Maybe will happen with Toyota's and Denso's partnerships

I own the new CX-5 GT Tech 2017, very happy with the purchase but I agree with you. Mazda could be better if some features are include if you look other CX-5 on other country.
Signature model with welcome lights, panoramic sunroof, paddle shifts, 2.5 turbo, 360 camera view, front grill illuminated (CX-9 and 6) have it, all around side skirts, all windows one touch up/down, remote start, auto folding exterior mirror.

I drive a BMW crossover now and I would LOVE that level of luxury in a CX-5 but that would mean some serious upgrades and that cost would surely be passed along to the consumer.
People now cringe at paying $36k for "a Mazda"
Can you imagine a CX-5 with a $45,000 sticker price and out the door cost of $50k?! I just don't see anyone willing to pay that because at that price point they'll simply say, "well, for a few bucks more I can have an Audi, bmw, etc"

I have enough questions asked to me about "Why did you get a Mazda, not Honda or Toyota?"
Now, you want to make it even more expensive by adding features not everyone wants?
Remote Start: no need. It is an accessory
Panoramic roof: looks nice, but many cases of exploded glass reported
HandFree liftgate: It is rare that I approach the liftgate with no free hand. Very rare case.
auto-folding side mirrors: prone to failure due to water getting through the gap into motor. Fancy, but useless in US.

CarPlay, AA: agree to that, but a software upgrade issue. I can wait.

Love the woodwork in CX9, but that also limits the supply of CX9 Signature models.
Dealers are selling every one of these they can get.

after seeing what Mazda can do with cx9 signature trim level, i am wanting a similar level of luxury in my cx5. Audi, BMW, Porsche, Jaguar, MB and Lexus are all overpriced.
Put the 2.5L skyactive turbo in cx5 and make the interior nicer like cx9 and it would still be much cheaper than any of the luxury brand.

This has been discussed with no end all across the forum, and everyone agrees with you.

Mazda is working on it with the new skyactiv-x motors. Just be patient.

Where it scores over it’s competitors is that it doesn’t get delivered from the dealer with technical problems.

Yup! Mazda is more focused on delivering a good driving experience rather then adding stupid little features that only distract you from the experience. That in itself - mazdas stability, composure when under fire and ergonomic driving focused interiors make up for a safety feature in itself.

More luxury equals more $$$$. If you want more luxury you have two ways, pay more for your CX-5, or get a more luxurious CUV. Either way means more cost.

They finally added the power lift gate, but now we must have the hands free one? And a pano roof that only the people in the back seat can enjoy?

Leave my CX-5 alone and go buy an Acura.
You can just never please some people.

I have enough questions asked to me about "Why did you get a Mazda, not Honda or Toyota?"
Now, you want to make it even more expensive by adding features not everyone wants?
Remote Start: no need. It is an accessory
Panoramic roof: looks nice, but many cases of exploded glass reported
HandFree liftgate: It is rare that I approach the liftgate with no free hand. Very rare case.
auto-folding side mirrors: prone to failure due to water getting through the gap into motor. Fancy, but useless in US.

CarPlay, AA: agree to that, but a software upgrade issue. I can wait.

Love the woodwork in CX9, but that also limits the supply of CX9 Signature models.
Dealers are selling every one of these they can get.
I agree.
Cx5 still needs real wood trim.

They finally added the power lift gate, but now we must have the hands free one? And a pano roof that only the people in the back seat can enjoy?

Leave my CX-5 alone and go buy an Acura.
You can just never please some people.

I don't like acura design -Interior and exterior.
Engine, handling, design all point to CX5 after owning 3 CX5's in my family since 2014.
Q5 looks dated and BMW costs an arm and a leg to similarly equip as CX5 GT. Leave less expensive trims alone and add a signature trim to CX5

I own the new CX-5 GT Tech 2017, very happy with the purchase but I agree with you. Mazda could be better if some features are include if you look other CX-5 on other country.
Signature model with welcome lights, panoramic sunroof, paddle shifts, 2.5 turbo, 360 camera view, front grill illuminated (CX-9 and 6) have it, all around side skirts, all windows one touch up/down, remote start, auto folding exterior mirror.

• 2.5L Turbo would be nice but my guess won't happen as SkyActiv X is coming
  • 360 camera just released on CX-8 so will eventually come
  • Illuminated grille not that desirable
  • Side skirts would be nice and available as optional extra in some countries
  • Agree one touch up/down should be standard in every country
  • Don't care about remote start and I suspect lots of people are the same otherwise would have been avaialble as an option in most countries
  • Agree with auto folding mirrors standard in all countries (we get it here on all models)

Last edited:
Yeah, this post kind of blows my mind. So the BMW is overpriced, but has what you want, but you want the same level of luxury at a lower price when you throw it at another car that is less expensive BECAUSE it isn't full on luxury?

Also, you want what the CX-9 has in the CX-5. Why not just buy the CX-9?

I really get a kick out of what people nitpick about on this forum. I'm just not into super tech loaded cars at all, but I'm obviously a minority. It's just funny when everyone wants something to be on every car when it barely existed five years ago.

Reminds me of Louis C.K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8LaT5Iiwo4

Yeah, this post kind of blows my mind. So the BMW is overpriced, but has what you want, but you want the same level of luxury at a lower price when you throw it at another car that is less expensive BECAUSE it isn't full on luxury?

Also, you want what the CX-9 has in the CX-5. Why not just buy the CX-9?

I really get a kick out of what people nitpick about on this forum. I'm just not into super tech loaded cars at all, but I'm obviously a minority. It's just funny when everyone wants something to be on every car when it barely existed five years ago.

Reminds me of Louis C.K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8LaT5Iiwo4

CX-9 is probably a bit too big for some people

CX-9 is probably a bit too big for some people

Exactly. Not only too long but too wide too tall. Too large and too heavy.
I want cx5 with cx9's lux feel with lower price tag for being smaller.
You have to admit BMW engine and tranny do cost more but the badge drives the price to the next level.

Exactly. Not only too long but too wide too tall. Too large and too heavy.
I want cx5 with cx9's lux feel with lower price tag for being smaller.
You have to admit BMW engine and tranny do cost more but the badge drives the price to the next level.

If the CX-8 came with 2.5L turbo and available outside Japan, then probably would be a good alternative.

I am aware that the CX-9 is going to be bigger, but if people seem to value gadgets above all else, it would seem they could overlook that.

I'm just a bumpkin, so even push button starting is basically unnecessary in my eyes. Backup cameras are funny to me. They serve a good purpose, but we all managed to get along for decades without them. Now if a car doesn't have it, people complain. I still turn my head and check in all directions, typically only looking at the screen to make sure it turns off when I put it in drive. Same thing with blind spot monitoring. All it does is tell me what my eyes are already telling me. The only reason I went with the GT was for the leather seats. Everything else is just an extra.

The only real tech I enjoy is bluetooth. I still like CD's, but streaming from your phone is useful and hands free calling is basically a must in this age unless you're the type that just decides not to make any calls at all while driving.

I am aware that the CX-9 is going to be bigger, but if people seem to value gadgets above all else, it would seem they could overlook that.

I'm just a bumpkin, so even push button starting is basically unnecessary in my eyes. Backup cameras are funny to me. They serve a good purpose, but we all managed to get along for decades without them. Now if a car doesn't have it, people complain. I still turn my head and check in all directions, typically only looking at the screen to make sure it turns off when I put it in drive. Same thing with blind spot monitoring. All it does is tell me what my eyes are already telling me. The only reason I went with the GT was for the leather seats. Everything else is just an extra.

The only real tech I enjoy is bluetooth. I still like CD's, but streaming from your phone is useful and hands free calling is basically a must in this age unless you're the type that just decides not to make any calls at all while driving.

Each to their own

I like a mixture of tech and actual vehicles driving/comfort etc traits. Not having all the technology is not the be all end all for me.

I like Mazda obviously but I am not at all brand loyal. Yet. If Mazda doesn't have the features I want on my next car I won't be bummed or unhappy about it... I'll just buy something else.

Back