Subaru vs. Mazda

ABS, TCS etc are classified as nannys and have been around since 90's :D

I guess when I think of nannies, I think of whatever they have in CX-5's now alerting when you have a hand off the wheel, and other things like that. Or the locking out of the touchscreen when moving. But I am in my 20's, so that's just my perspective from having not been in pre-90's vehicles regularly. ABS, TCS don't seem like nannies to me. Just seem normal. But I guess I could understand why they would to others who drove before those.

Different perspective.

Can we stop bringing up pickledchile please. I know he has a fan club and groupies but he probably was just reading here like me/others were and saw his name mentioned. I seriously doubt he searches his name.

What's funny is these guys added to me their ignore list a while back, then removed me because they just HAD to see my posts. Groupies indeed(lol2)

As far as this debate goes, IMO Subaru is currently the better of the 2. BRZ/WRX(new STI scheduled for 2019 release)Forester's power(250HP with new model coming soon). They're very reliable and their customer retention is #2 in the country despite being so small of a company.

For Mazda, I like the Miata and the 3 Hatch. The CX-9 is nicely styled, but it's dark, claustrophobic interior kinda ruins it. Don't really like anything else in the lineup. I also think this whole 'budget luxury' direction they're going is not going to succeed. They need more power and Carplay/AA in their vehicles than anything else. I think if they add these 2, they will be OK.

Last edited:
Ignore lists don't work for quotes so what was the point? Had nothing to do with wanting to see your posts Mango. Anyway, you are the one who decided to start jabbering in this thread based off a simple use of "Mango". No one was bringing you into anything, so why don't you just leave it alone? Snowflake much? Maybe take a dose of your own advice.

@jthj - I don't recall what feature it was but I remember reading a thread somewhere about it. May have not been all markets.

I actually like the nannies in modern vehicles. The late 90's/early 2000's were HORRIBLE!

Traction control that KILLED forward momentum. Now we have PTM that actually allows best performance numbers launching the car like an idiot, seamlessly matching power to traction instead of the "spark cut" we got in the late 90's where the nose just dropped and you wondered what you done broke before all hell was unleashed and it took off again if you hadn't lifted.

Stability control that allows some rotation before GENTLY stepping in and PROPERLY correcting things.

My only remaining complaint is that ABS can upset a vehicle during a hydroplaning recovery maneuver where you GENTLY apply SLIGHT brake pressure. This happened to me once. Front felt light in my 370Z, I got off the throttle and it still felt light, so I GENTLY touched the brake. BAM! ABS pulsated, kicked in and popped the front brakes a few times rapid-fire, and the car was spinning like a mofo.

They need to fix that maybe...

Even the dsc on the cx5 can make the car jerk left right coming out of a corner when adding power

First nanny for me was on a 2006 Holden Calais I owned. Previous cars had none

I had Jeeps before. Pretty spartan ;)

I hear ya... my Wrangler is far from a tech marvel ..... it did have a nanny though.... it had one of those lights that would come on that would recommend an upshift for best economy. I pulled that bulb out of the dash cluster.

I hear ya... my Wrangler is far from a tech marvel ..... it did have a nanny though.... it had one of those lights that would come on that would recommend an upshift for best economy. I pulled that bulb out of the dash cluster.
That's what kept it together so it didn't fall apart (lol)

You know I forgot about that light. Mine did too. Ignored it.

05d.jpg

Mechanically it has been ok but it goes through shocks and even the simple HVAC control broke. I don't use it much but sometimes on the weekends when camping or hunting. The old inline-6 4.0L actually is a fairly robust motor but fuel economy isn't very good even with a manual.

Mechanically it has been ok but it goes through shocks and even the simple HVAC control broke. I don't use it much but sometimes on the weekends when camping or hunting. The old inline-6 4.0L actually is a fairly robust motor but fuel economy isn't very good even with a manual.

Concur, the 4.0L inline 6 is pretty bullet proof.

Other parts on the Jeep? Yeah not so much... (lol)

Back