Subaru vs. Mazda

Here ya go!:

image.jpg

Car design wise yes, mudflaps wise ... nope!

I know, it looks stupid. At least it has some sort of functionality and keeps your paint clean though.

Agreed. Lose the flaps!

I remember someone had those on their CX-5. Man it was hideous! :D

My guess is most people in those certain areas don't have them.

But hey each to their own

on my BMW, I wish i had some sort of small body coloured mud flaps for the rear wheels. they kick up so much dirt and grime onto the rear fenders.

on my BMW, I wish i had some sort of small body coloured mud flaps for the rear wheels. they kick up so much dirt and grime onto the rear fenders.

I was planning to get them for my 6 but they are too small. So I passed.

I so miss my modded 2006 Wrx Sti.
But I still like my new CX-5. It only needs a more powerful engine.

I so miss my modded 2006 Wrx Sti.
But I still like my new CX-5. It only needs a more powerful engine.

Were the manuals transmissions weak or did I just have an abusive co-worker in the early WRXs?

He had a 2002 or 2003 model and had 3 replacements.

Were the manuals transmissions weak or did I just have an abusive co-worker in the early WRXs?

He had a 2002 or 2003 model and had 3 replacements.

Little from column a, a little from column b (wink)

Last edited:
Little from column a, a little from column b (wink)

Kinda what I thought :)

Closest I came to getting a Subaru was when I was a kid... almost got an '83 Turbo wagon. I think that was the first turbo year here in states.

Fullscreen-capture-3272011-100159-AM.bmp-720x541.jpg

It probably would have been a better car than the '84 Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo which was a maintenance/reliability turd...but I did learn a lot about car maintenance from that vehicle so I have to give it that.

1984-Mitsubishi-Cordia-Turbo-Front.jpg

1984-Mitsubishi-Cordia-Turbo-Rear.jpg

Second round... test drove a new 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Turbo back in late '06... also drove a '07 Volvo S40 Turbo... ended up with my '07 Infiniti G35x...

Wife owns the CX-5. I have a 2017 WRX 6MT. Correct, the Subaru interiors are really bad but the latest generation is actually "decent". It's not CX-5 interior obviously. Other than that I think it's not bad (except for the horrible radio). Then again I didn't buy the WRX for interior. I bought it because it was the best car for the money (6MT, fun to drive, good power, awd, reliability, good looks and great handling). CX-5 handling is very nice for a SUV but when compared to WRX's handling it's night and day. CX-5 does a totally different job. It's a nice looking inside/out SUV, handles good and power is quite nice. I think it's the best bang for the buck SUV out there.

am8tg.jpg

Wife owns the CX-5. I have a 2017 WRX 6MT. Correct, the Subaru interiors are really bad but the latest generation is actually "decent". It's not CX-5 interior obviously. Other than that I think it's not bad (except for the horrible radio). Then again I didn't buy the WRX for interior. I bought it because it was the best car for the money (6MT, fun to drive, good power, awd, reliability, good looks and great handling). CX-5 handling is very nice for a SUV but when compared to WRX's handling it's night and day. CX-5 does a totally different job. It's a nice looking inside/out SUV, handles good and power is quite nice. I think it's the best bang for the buck SUV out there.

am8tg.jpg

The CX-5 is not an SUV at all, it is a crossover or CUV. It is based on a Mazda 3 chassis and weighs 3400-3600 pounds depending on 2017 or older and trim packages, which is remarkably light. My 2011 528i weighs 700 pounds more then my mazda 6.

am8tg.jpg

My kinda guy (no homo)

Kinda what I thought :)

Closest I came to getting a Subaru was when I was a kid... almost got an '83 Turbo wagon. I think that was the first turbo year here in states.

Fullscreen-capture-3272011-100159-AM.bmp-720x541.jpg

It probably would have been a better car than the '84 Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo which was a maintenance/reliability turd...but I did learn a lot about car maintenance from that vehicle so I have to give it that.

1984-Mitsubishi-Cordia-Turbo-Front.jpg

1984-Mitsubishi-Cordia-Turbo-Rear.jpg

Second round... test drove a new 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Turbo back in late '06... also drove a '07 Volvo S40 Turbo... ended up with my '07 Infiniti G35x...

I remember both models:

• Subaru wagon here was well liked but sounded like a gardening tool
  • The Cordia was apparently at the time an OK vehicle and most were driven by young hooligans though!

The CX-5 is not an SUV at all, it is a crossover or CUV. It is based on a Mazda 3 chassis and weighs 3400-3600 pounds depending on 2017 or older and trim packages, which is remarkably light. My 2011 528i weighs 700 pounds more then my mazda 6.

Don't let those names fool you. BMW calls them SAV (none of the above). Basically, they are tall cars or tall hatchbacks however you look at them. It has a high center of gravity. Yes it uses Mazda 3 chassis but due to high center of gravity it will never handle like a 3 but it's good enough for a SUV. It can still put a shame on SUVs like Rouge / CRV / etc when it comes to handling.

Wait I think you venture into the wrong forum if you don't drive a CX-5. :p

Escape is based on Focus, CRV is based on the Civic, Cherokee is based on the Dart and on it goes.

You might say the Mazda3 is based on the CX-5 considering the current platform was first used in the CX-5, which was introduced in 2012 about a year before the 3.

Back